• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

asus 7970 dcii unlocked bios problems

think_alien

ok so i downloaded the unlocked bios from the vga database
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/113309/Asus.HD7970.3072.120104.html

tried to flash it but once its flashed the card no longer shows anything on the display via dvi port and my voltage on stock is locked to a max of 1.060v which is a bit on the low side for max it should be at least 1.175 preferably 1.400 as it should be so its overclockable anyways anyone have suggestions? i want to get it working with the unlocked bios but when i try flashing it, it doesnt turn out well :p

think_alien

ok new problem got the new bios working but it now only detects the monitor on dvi 2 so it now will only support 1 monitor .......... any ideas? lol

Last edited:

think_alien

also starts artifacting after 1240mhz regardless of voltage i guess if you want to overclock this card between reports and experience id say its a total dud
and i had one successful startup where voltage change was possible now its back to being locked again oh well flashing back to the DC2T bios that actually has monitor support i guess :p

Iactus

It depends on what Bios you flashed the card on

Bios Number 1 Is for Dual link DVI and only 2 DP ports
Bios Number 2 is for Single Link DVI and all display ports

if you use a Dual link DVI monitor and u flashed on Bios one you will loose the Dual link support.

This is why i use a BizLink DP to DVI-D Adapter.

Also the Asus Overclocking Bios will NOT unlock the voltages on a Non TOP DirectCUII 7970, Nothing will unlock the voltages.

Asus Has even said to me in an email that they don't have a Bios for the 7970DCII that will allow voltage unlocking and may never create one.

think_alien

i had it working not for very long but it did work voltages were unlocked and adjusting but then after restart it went back to not working

Iactus

I will think you may find that they actually were not, When i did this it "said" my core voltages were changing on GPU tweak, but i couldn't get past 1150Mhz (same as stock volt oc).

Upon restart was back to 1.060v stock voltage.

think_alien

mine actually were i got ti up to 1300mhz core 1500mhz vram and hwmonitor reported the voltage being what i set it to in gpu tweak and i know my gpu doesnt even go near 1300 on stock it freezes after 1180-1200

think_alien

the dc2 non top version and it only worked once, i restarted and the voltages were locked once again which kinda sucks but at least it shows that it is possible.

Last edited:

Iactus

1.4v though a GPU you are out of your mind 1.225 is the upper limit the direct CU II has fairly weak vrms so what you see is what you get
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2656716
the DCU2 is locked out on the hardware level 1.066 is as good as you will get screwing with the bios wont help either its hardlocked

the VRMs on the Direct CU 2 are not Weak, They are very good, this card was made for LN2 hence the whole voltage tweak with a Maximus motherboard.

Also They are not hardware locked, Its been proven by myself an others, Put a TOP bios on there and your Vcore will raise to 1.080v.

Do you even own one?

CaptainFailcon

the VRMs on the Direct CU 2 are not Weak, They are very good, this card was made for LN2 hence the whole voltage tweak with a Maximus motherboard.

Also They are not hardware locked, Its been proven by myself an others, Put a TOP bios on there and your Vcore will raise to 1.080v.

Do you even own one?

you put a top bios in there and it MAY report 1.080v but its still 1.220v a bios's can't magically reprogram it todo something it physically can't do ill belive it when you check it with a mulimeter
I trust erocker when he says it can't be done

Iactus

I'm sorry but Why are you on this thread?

before the TOP bios i could hit 1100Mhz on core MAX @ 1.030v

With Top bios i could hit 1150Mhz on core max @ 1.080v

You don't have this card

Erocker doesn't have this card (unless he jumps in and says he does)

So please don't give input into a subject that you don't need to give input that is false and misleading.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
you put a top bios in there and it MAY report 1.080v but its still 1.220v a bios's can't magically reprogram it todo something it physically can't do ill belive it when you check it with a mulimeter
I trust erocker when he says it can't be done

I'm sorry but Why are you on this thread?

before the TOP bios i could hit 1100Mhz on core MAX @ 1.030v

With Top bios i could hit 1150Mhz on core max @ 1.080v

You don't have this card

Erocker doesn't have this card (unless he jumps in and says he does)

So please don't give input into a subject that you don't need to give input that is false and misleading.

When I said that I thought his card was getting bad Vdroop. What I didn't know was that the stock voltage on that card really is that low, so I was mistaken. :)

Blaumann77

Hello!

I need some help.

I would like to change a BIOS Asus DCII 7970's.

But after ATIWinflash program will fill the new BIOS and dominated the program button on the display: SubsystemID and Mismatch.

What would be that bármiely BIOS for the card I could do?

CF would like to use the second card I bought and now have various bios on it than the existing one. For this reason does not work, only a few cases of CF

Blaumann77

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
ok so i downloaded the unlocked bios from the vga database
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/113309/Asus.HD7970.3072.120104.html

tried to flash it but once its flashed the card no longer shows anything on the display via dvi port and my voltage on stock is locked to a max of 1.060v which is a bit on the low side for max it should be at least 1.175 preferably 1.400 as it should be so its overclockable anyways anyone have suggestions? i want to get it working with the unlocked bios but when i try flashing it, it doesnt turn out well :p

This bios is obviously not compatible with your card. You could brick it using an incompatible bios, so you've gotten off lightely with what you're seeing.

I suggest that you flash back your original bios before you wreck the card.