• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS 7970 Matrix Platinum overheating

Processor Intel Core i9-13900K
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Z690 Hero
Cooling EK EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) @ DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition
Storage WD Black NVMe 1TB + WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB + Seagate Firecuda 8TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3420DW
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Edifier S351DB + Philips X2
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 Wireless
Keyboard Keychron Q5 with Gazzew Boba U4s
Software Windows 11
Wow, I didn't know GPU Tweak came with a LLC setting! My card desperately needs that due to vdroop. Thing is with the spikes in GPU usage, are you sure your card isn't throttling itself down now?

Ah shoot.. you're right; I overlooked that. It goes back to 1050MHz and switches back from time to time; I guess it's supposed to do that since it's an "extreme load."

With that said, before I set the LLC to 100%, my card was still exceeding 90C. Now it's not even passing the 75C mark at stock (1200mV core voltage, LLC at 100, and power target at 120)

My FPS average is consistent with my old tests too, so I think it's safe to say it worked. :toast:

twisted

Wow, I didn't know GPU Tweak came with a LLC setting! My card desperately needs that due to vdroop. Thing is with the spikes in GPU usage, are you sure your card isn't throttling itself down now?

The LLC really helps too when pushing the clocks high. It's great, you monitor the voltage in the gpu tweak and se exactly how much vdroop you get, and then correct it with LLC.

GPU tweak is the only program that reads the voltages correct so far, all other programs I've tried just shows 1256mV constantly, except when the card clocks down to the 2D clocks, gpu-z registers that atleast.

In Sapphire trixx ie. the max voltage is limited to 1256mV, kind of a shame cuz I tend to get the most stable OC with trixx.

Just check out all these readings and temps and what not:

Ok, enough about :)

OP: There must be something wrong with your card. With both fans att 100%(sounds like a damn hurricane) I cant recall seeing temps above 60C under any circumstances.

And regarding your case, two 180mm Air penetrators for intake, those fans move massive amounts of air.

So if you dont have like a heater or something under the case( :D ), there's something wrong with the card.

Regarding GPU tweak and it's auto voltage setting, it sets the voltage waaay too high. Im my case it sets it to 1257mV @stock clock. I can easily bring it down below 1200mV with powertune set to +20.

What kind of card did you have in the case before you got the Matrix? Same problem with that card?(probably not) I'd RMA it ASAP.

Rossi~

System Name Sleipnir
Processor i7 3930K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard Sabertooth X79
Cooling PH-TC14PE
Memory 16Gb Samsung Green @ 2335MHz 10-11-11-21-96-1T
Video Card(s) ASUS 7970 Matrix Platinum @ 1300MHz/7200MHz
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD 2x 1Tb WD Caviar Black RAID-0
Display(s) 1x BenQ 24" 2x BenQ 22"
Case NZXT H2
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX / FiiO E17 + E09K
Power Supply OCZ ZX1000
LLC seems to do absolutely nothing for me. I just put it down to a gimmick to be honest.