• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus 8800gt Bsod Help!

RuNDmC

Hi,

I am new to these forums and was actually directed here by searching and finding http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=31266

Althought it seems to describe my problem it I havent been able to fix my computer w/ it =(

List of Symtoms:

Random BSOD's followed by a period where the computer will not even post.
the different BOSD's include: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
NFGS.SYS_ADDRESS
BAD POOL HEADER

After i get these BSOD's my comp will pretty much not work at all for about 30 mins, after which i could use the comp for about 5-10 mins before recieving another BSOD, this lead me to believe that maybe my GPU of CPU are running too hot, but after checking my temps after a BSOD came up, GPU temp as at 45C and CPU temp was at 40C.

I Tried downloading differnt drivers/forceware and rivatuner, for some reason downloading new forceware and this seemed to work for about a week before i got another BSOD and was unable to boot.

Ive replaced, the HD, Mobo, RAM and PSU so im assuming if there is any hardware error it must be w/ the video card.

Also ive tried reformatting about 7 or 8 times already with both Vista and XP.

Comp Setup is:
ASUS EN8800GT
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz
MSI P7N SLI
Corsair DDR2800 4gb's
Seagate SATA 500gb Internal HD

One other thing to note, ever since i bought the computer, sometimes when i watched video (not including games) i would get what would almost look like static, and if i clicked on anything it would just competely hang the computer.

Anyways, Thanks for any info you guys might have!

Also let me know if there is any additional information needed

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
Something that comes to mind, when I first installed vista and inserted a disc into my burner. It caused the IRQ error you have. After updating the firmware on the burner, this no longer occured. So a suggestion is to unplug it from the motherboard and see if the BSOD occurs.

Check the BIOS and set everything to defaults. Any bad settings on it causing instability will do this.

Swap the video card and try, if this fails your cpu is botched.

RuNDmC

Update:

Well after buying a new video card (9800 gt), my computer worked for about 48 hrs. Until my 450 wt power supply started to smell, smoke then instantly shut down the computer. I thought that maybe my computer wasnt getting enough power and could be causing this error to occur. I bought a 650 wt power supply and swapped my 8800 gt back into the computer only to have it die about 15 mins later.
Thinking that i had definatly determined that the culprit was the video card i put the 9800 back in. After about 5 mins i got the same old BSOD error (one of the many listed above) followed by the computer shutting down, and no longer posting until i reseated the video card.
At this point im about ready to throw my computer off the balcony and suck it up and buy a dell or some premade POS :banghead:. The only thing I have yet to replace is my CPU, but id expect some kind of beepcode or error associated with this error.

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
what kind of psus are you buying check the guide to see if they fail

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Almost sounds like an IQR sharing issue, memory related problem or similar.

I would recommend you start by running memtest, the bootable ISO is the way to go, there is a version that runs in windows too though. I believe there is a version of memtest in TPU Downloads. Google about the program and you'll find a ton. Great program for sure, if your ram is underpowered, timings are too tight or something is just off enough to cause errors that could very well be donating towards your issues. As everything calls on RAM to function for the most part, it's pretty damn critical to have stable memory.

Then I would recommend you download and run Prime95 and/or Orthos Prime 2004, both stress test the CPU and can stress test the memory and nb to an extent. I would recommend running overnight in Blend mode on either to see if there is a write/verify issue, possible overheat issue or similar.

Next I would say maybe try installing updated chipset drivers, directx webupdate, sound drivers, etc.

FYI I've seen all of those BSOD messages when my first kit of DDR2 (Buffalo Firestix DDR2 800 2x1gb) went south...things would be fine for a little bit, then randomly whether it was 5 minutes or 5 hours my system would either hardlock, freeze, stutter, BSOD or randomly restart. Replaced the ram with some G.Skill stuff of similar specs and ratings, and my issue was fixed.

I've also had a PSU fail, a cap blew and leaked on my old vid card (9600GT) I was able to clean up most of the mess before damage was done, that card lasted another couple years before it hit the bucket. That was a scary time, never again would I use a $20 PSU..and I never have. It was rated for 550W, but only had like 16A on the 12v, my old P4/AGP/DDR rig destroyed it running stock!

Well check back if you decide to do the stress tests and see what we have after that. Hope that helps!

:toast:

RuNDmC

Im going to try the stress test once i get the computer running again. This problem some how managed to destroy a brand new HD that i bought from frys about 10 days ago (the returns guy even tested it). So i put my old HD back in and was able to boot to windows and i still get the BSOD. Althought the strangest thing is once I get these BSOD's the computer wont post until i open it up and reseat the video card. And i have no idea what could attribute to this.

Also thanks for all the great responses =D