• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus AI Suite caused dead case fan

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard Asus X570 TUF
Cooling Cooler Master Ml240l v2 AIO
Memory Corsair 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 2 x NVME 1TB SSDs
Display(s) BenQ 34" 1440p LED
Case Lian Li o11 Dynamic Full Tower
Software Windows 11
Running an Asus TUF X570 motherboard and had Asus AI Suite which includes Xpert Fan.

I have a 3 way fan splitter connected to CPU_OPT header on motherboard and never had any issues with it, but when playing with my RPM in Xpert fan by setting the CPU Fan to 100% RPM ; it caused one of fans connected to CPU_OPT to stop spinning. I'd seen it do this in the past and I would usually just low the fixed rpm again and the fan would begin spinning again, but this time it did not start spinning.

I always thought it very strange that changing the CPU fan (which I can tell my the fans on my AIO were spinning up faster so I know I'm changing the correct fan speeds) would impact the CPU_OPT fans or at least this one. On reboots and cold boots of the machine, the fan spins up for a few seconds then dies as soon as it starts booting the BIOS. The LEDs on the fan are still lit just that the fan won't spin after booting.

I've tried:
- Resetting BIOS
- Uninstalling AI Suite and resetting BIOS
- Testing the 3 way fan splitter to ensure all splitters are working (they are)
- Moving the fan which has the issue to its own dedicated CHA_Fan header or directly to CPU_OPT and not sharing with the others

None of the above get the fan to spin again - is this fan dead?

Its one of these:

Corsair HD Series, HD120 RGB LED, 120mm High Performance Individually Addressable PWM Fans​

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
The fan is probably dead since you've already tried it on a separate CHA_Fan header by itself.

The fact that you used ASUS AI Suite is probably purely coincidental. It's not like the software is going to send 36V of power to the fan by mistake (which isn't even available from your PSU).

Software Windows 11
My question is if the fan is dead, why does spin on boot? It spins normally for like 2 seconds then BIOS has finished posting and bam it dies down.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
My question is if the fan is dead, why does spin on boot? It spins normally for like 2 seconds then BIOS has finished posting and bam it dies down.

Beats me. Maybe the fan's PWM circuitry failed.

At power up, it's probably getting the full 12V DC. Once it passes POST, the UEFI BIOS tells it to slow down per the programmed fan curve and maybe the PWM control signal (pin 4) is being misread by that particular fan's PWM circuitry to stop completely.

I suppose you might be able to test this by configuring a CHA_Fan header to run as DC Control and see if the fan starts spinning. But ultimately you don't really want to run a 4-pin PWM fan in 3-pin DC mode, do you?

For sure, you can't blame AI Suite while it's running in the UEFI BIOS, i.e., before booting any operating system (Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, whatever).

Regardless of the underlying reason, that unit isn't working as advertised. Have the retailer replace it if that's an option or RMA it.

Last edited:
Software Windows 11
It is very strange and I had assumed it would spin in BIOS and die in Windows as I suspect AISuite was the culprit but I have seen others mention that to undo any change from AISuite uninstalling the software alone did not revert its changes to fan speeds, they had to reset BIOS too which implies it’s configuration is deeper than simply the application layer. The issue only became present when using AISuite to fix the rpm at 100% ; within a second or two the fan stopped spinning and couldn’t get it going again thereafter - so it’s one HELL of a coincidence if that’s all it is lol…

open to any other suggestions or comments , I may just try setting to DC for testing anyway, but inclined to hear what you all think

Case Apple proprietary
You know, if AI Suite was regularly killing fans (not sure how it would do that), I think the Internet would be flooded with complaints about that danger. It's not like the X570 chipset nor AI Suite shipped last week.

I stand by my opinion that it was mere coincidence.

I own a ROG Strix X570-I (see my System Specs) and for sure I have played with AI Suite from time to time without ill effects to the fans in my current build nor in previous builds where I used that motherboard. I have two ASUS B550 motherboards as well in other builds.

Last edited:
Software Windows 11
Fan is working again, reseated the CPU and when booting back up fan is operational again.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Check how fan is controlled (PWM or DC).