• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Announces P8Z68 Series and Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA1155 Motherboards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Continuing its legacy of leadership, ASUS offers consumers a range of new motherboards based on the Intel Z68 Express chipset. The ASUS P8Z68 Series and ROG Maximus IV GENE-Z motherboards all have numerous powerful features that fully exploit the performance benefits of Sandy Bridge technology without compromise, packing more features and new innovations onto the Z68 platform while maintaining unmitigated performance and reliability.

ASUS is the only motherboard manufacturer able to integrate diverse new technologies in tandem on its Z68-based motherboards on launch. These include the universal implementation of LucidLogix Virtu switchable graphics to harness the capabilities of Intel Quick Sync Video for faster video transcoding and the extreme performance of the latest NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards, along with Intel Smart Response Technology to accelerate hard drive performance and reduce energy consumption.

Full support for faster video transcoding and switchable graphics
All ASUS Z68-based motherboards are natively designed to support the LucidLogix Virtu graphics virtualization engine that works in conjunction with Intel Quick Sync Video to deliver up to three times faster and smoother video transcoding and playback. This is achieved by instantly and seamlessly switching between integrated Sandy Bridge graphics and a discrete graphics card on demand. With uncompromising engineering quality, ASUS P8Z68 Series and ROG Maximus IV GENE-Z motherboards support both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs for the ultimate in flexibility as part of automatic graphics switching.

The new ASUS Z68-based motherboards also ship with Intel Smart Response Technology. This uses a solid-state cache to deliver the combined benefits of SSD speed and traditional hard drive storage capacity, cutting down on lengthy data access and system boot times in the process. This feature also reduces redundant hard drive spin, which lowers energy consumption and PC running costs.

Segment-leading digital power delivery and all-new BIOS
Following the successful and acclaimed ASUS P8P67 Series, new Z68-based motherboards from ASUS deliver a ramped-up range of proprietary technologies. DIGI+ VRM set a new standard for digital power control at its debut, where it replaced analog power control with the most precise tuning available to PC users. DIGI+ VRM also increases durability, reliability and overclocking potential, and leads to the most efficient power delivery among all available Z68-based motherboards.

ASUS also includes its exclusive UEFI BIOS on P8Z68 Series motherboards and the Maximus IV GENE-Z. An intuitive and easy to use graphical mouse-controlled BIOS, it incorporates the unique EZ Mode for fast and simple access to powerful system management and set-up. UEFI BIOS even offers drag and drop boot drive prioritization, simplifying a process that in the past presented a major hurdle to novice PC users. It includes support for hard drives with capacities greater than 2.2TB and provides extensive real-time system information for a more involved PC experience.

"The Intel Z68 Express chipset is the first platform to enable both overclocking and the revolutionary media features built into 2nd generation Intel Core processors. We're thrilled to see a full lineup of ASUS Z68 motherboards designed with LucidLogic Virtu support, allowing users to take advantage of the incredible video transcoding performance of Intel Quick Sync Video Technology, while maintaining support for high-end discrete graphics from all major brands. Users can now enjoy the best of both worlds," said Zane Ball, General Manager of Intel Desktop Platforms.

"With DIGI+ VRM digital power design, UEFI BIOS, universal switchable graphics and faster video transcoding, ASUS P8Z68 Series motherboards make it possible for users to take full advantage of a number of unique and tangible benefits. We're proud to once more set a new standard with our Z68 motherboards after the success of our P8P67 Series", said ASUS chairman, Jonney Shih.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
I was wondering why they were taking so long to release the next Gene. That LucidLogix thingy looks like a good idea.

Am I right though that it doesn't have any integrated display outputs? If so, why didn't they just us the P67 chipset? Or is Z68 have the necessary chipset to be able to use the integrated graphics, if only for the LucidLogix part?

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
I was wondering why they were taking so long to release the next Gene. That LucidLogix thingy looks like a good idea.

Am I right though that it doesn't have any integrated display outputs? If so, why didn't they just us the P67 chipset? Or is Z68 have the necessary chipset to be able to use the integrated graphics, if only for the LucidLogix part?
the gene has an HDMI output

System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Did they increase the memory standard? Both asus and asrock aren't listing 1600 as overclocked anymore. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600093976%20600158412&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel%20Z68

No, thier claim of 1600mhz support says that the board is guaranteed to be able to run 1600Mhz, and that is all. The functionality of the board has no bearing on the functionality of the CPU that you install.

That said, I think basically every 1155 CPU is capable of 1600mhz, too. It's an OC, by Intel's standards, but it should still work just fine.

deleted

System Name Monolith
Processor i5 2500K, 4.6 GHz at 1.30v
Motherboard P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling CM Hyper 212+
Memory 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333 MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 570, 920/1840/2050 at 1.100v
Storage SanDisk Extreme 240 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display(s) LG W2363D
Case Silverstone FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2
Power Supply Kingwin LZG-850
Has anyone noticed a review mentioning if the double-booting issue has been fixed on this board? It was a huge problem for a lot of people on the P8P67 Pro. EUFI and an SSD boot drive are a bit pointless if you computer restarts two or three times every time you turn it on.

Last edited: