1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Compatible issue

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by khan.sikki, Jan 11, 2017.

1. khan.sikki

khan.sikki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello Friends,

My Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 is not working with Sapphire R7 240 1GB Card
    i updated GFX BIOS too but still problem exists

Attached Files:

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    SERIOUSLY!?. Why would you update the vbios on the card?

Also what is the problem???

Update your motherboard bios from Asus using the old card first then use the 240. Contact the manufacturer of the 240 card and get the correct bios to flash on the card.

Read my Signature

SMH...

3. khan.sikki

khan.sikki New Member

Thanks Received:
    card is not working on the board from the date i purchased ,
    i updated the vbios of the card as the previous bios doesn't support UEFI.
    board is upto date with latest bios
    i am using only one card from Sapphire Vendor, but the support he given is awesome.
    i am using many products from ASUS but the support is worst and afraid of purchasing latest cards like RX480 for the board, even the official ASUS support is not confident of RX480working on M5A97LE R2.0

4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Time to switch out the motherboard then. I had this issue in 2001 with a P4S8X. Switched to a MSI board and no issues.

You only ever update the gpu bios unless if you get an official version from manufacturer directly.

By the way how are you getting GPU-Z snapshots if the card is not working?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2912530/asus-240-working-asus-m5a97.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2100044/r7240-2gd3-compatible-m5a97.html

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    P4-630 says thanks.
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    ^Words of wisdom there OP, you should listen to this man. What you did was a dangerous experiment, and just flashing the MB BIOS as recommended may have fixed it. I recall Nvidia's 900 series GPUs were often not working on older model MBs. A MB BIOS flash usually fixed it.

The main things you see updates for on MB BIOS are compatibility revisions for newer model CPUs, and GPUs.

The main reason people try to flash their GPU BIOS is usually to try and get it to perform at the level of a higher model, but it's always a risk of bricking your card. It's rarely if ever about compatibility issues.

A rule of thumb with putting newer GPUs on older MBs, is if a MB BIOS flash won't fix the problem, you replace your ancient MB. And yes, that often means a newer CPU and RAM too, but hey, that's upgrading 101.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Thank You @Frag Maniac

I had an XFX R7 250X core edition that I put in an Asus K8V-XE, there was no guarantee from asus tech support that it would work- i took a risk. I verified the card was good by putting in my rig. Booted right up. In k8v-xe it wouldnt. Got help from @cdawall and slaved a 6450 (7400) in, booted right up. So the card was just too new for the board.

7. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Old boards and new cards have more and more issues...

eidairaman1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. khan.sikki

khan.sikki New Member

Thanks Received:
    changing board is not a solution i think, as
    i updated the Vbios of Card as first It doesn't have the UEFI Support (i tried in by changing to LEGACY mode too in MB BIOS but no use )
    now card supports UEFI and able work in other ASUS UEFI boards
    if ASUS releases the BIOS update for this problem will resolve (Sapphire given me the VBIOS file for UEFI Support of GFX Card )

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:

I see others here with Intel Socket 1155/1156 boards having same issues and with Nvidia cards and AMD cards to boot. So it's just not AMD chipped cards but Nvidia too.

I'm on an ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R 2.0. Which have better support than any LE board whether Intel or AMD chipset. I had bios update 2901 as of last year after 2 years of running bios 2501. You can always try asus.com for a fresh bios.

You said it yourself the card works in other Asus boards, SO THERE WAS NO REASON TO UPDATE THE CARD BIOS.

In the event Asus doesn't give you a bios, or the board bios doesn't work. IT'S THE BOARD NOT THE CARD AND STOP BEING A STUBBORN FOOL, SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE and grab a Sabertooth R3.0 and call it a day.

Others will tell you the same.

jboydgolfer says thanks.
  10. khan.sikki

khan.sikki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Card works on other ASUS board means the other working boards are non UEFI boards.

Sapphire given an vbios update to support UEFI, but ASUS failed in giving update.

By the way I have an ASUS sabertooth 990FX / GEN 3 R 2.0 board too with firepro w7100 GFX

What I understood is card not working on UEFI boards, ASUS Should release an update for this

11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    They wont because its an LE board. By the way i've had non uefi card in my r2.0 too. Works just fine.

Time to swap boards.