• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS' Custom RX Vega Product Pages Surface After 4 Months - Details Still Scant

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Four months of silence after what can only be classified as a premature announcement, ASUS has finally put up the product pages for their custom RX Vega 56 and 64 graphics cards, marketed under the Strix branding. Yield and packaging issues, as well as differing chip characteristics between different AMD packaging partners, have greatly affected TTM on RX Vega's custom designs, which were sorely needed so as to improve on some of the reference cards' shortcomings. Sadly, the product pages are just that - product pages - and lack the holy trinity of graphics cards important information - clock speeds, pricing, and availability.

Tech specs are in the same ballpark as ASUS' other Strix offerings: there's ASUS' Aura Sync RGB LED support for aesthetics, a 2.5" cooler which ASUS boasts of enabling a 40% increase in dissipation area - bringing about a 30% increase in cooling capabilities and an up to 300% reduction in operating noise. ASUS' MaxContact technology is being marketed as leveraging the best precision machining tools in the industry, increasing evenness of the copper contact plate and therefore increasing contact area for improved heat transfer - by up to 2x as much. The power delivery is being quoted as 12+1 design, which should ensure Vega's typical power hunger should be fully fed. The dual fans are also IP5X certified when it comes to dust resistance, for improved reliability and lifespan.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Processor 5800x
Motherboard b550-e
Cooling full - custom liquid loop
Memory cl16 - 32gb
Video Card(s) 6800xt
Storage nvme 1TB + ssd 750gb
Display(s) xg32vc
Case hyte y60
Power Supply 1000W - gold
Software 10
Sad, so now need wait maybe gigabyte release with waterblock from factory, to safe money and time.

4 months after RX Vega launch and there is still literally nothing. How they expect any sales when most people are waiting for aftermarket ones because the blowers literally suck. One would expect these cards being released in 2 weeks to max 1 month after reference launch, not this 4 months delay with nothing really known for actual release. A bit absurd.

That MaxContact picture is hilarious.
You can see the bad photoshop since the GPU die goes through the blue line xD

RX VEGA has to be the biggest head-ache to GPU makers in forever.
What a frikin' mess of a product launch.

Look more carefully buddy.
You are misjudging AF.

EDIT: The plate in blue is rising 1 mm over the base plate with screws, hence the different reflection.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Last edited:

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
Long story short: I like AMD and in many ways they are the hero we need (compared to nvidia) But their Vega launch have be a catastrophe of proportions. Them not being able to get communication up and running with partners and their decision of first allowing this to happen now will destroy their fan-base (or at least whats left of the hope for their GFX's) VEGA will better power calibration and aftermarketcoolers from start combined with even more focus on drivers could have resulted in a different market. Vega has been made obsolete before it even came out by AMD. Unless that was their plan that is frighteningly bad launch from AMD. (And again I want to root for AMD...)

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Sadly, the product pages are just that - product pages - and lack the holy trinity of graphics cards important information - clock speeds, pricing, and availability.

1590Mhz, super cheap 699€ MSRP, starting next week.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Long story short: I like AMD and in many ways they are the hero we need (compared to nvidia) But their Vega launch have be a catastrophe of proportions. Them not being able to get communication up and running with partners and their decision of first allowing this to happen now will destroy their fan-base (or at least whats left of the hope for their GFX's) VEGA will better power calibration and aftermarketcoolers from start combined with even more focus on drivers could have resulted in a different market. Vega has been made obsolete before it even came out by AMD. Unless that was their plan that is frighteningly bad launch from AMD. (And again I want to root for AMD...)
Do you really still think any of this was "Them not being able to get communication up and running with partners" ? Their customers were the ones cut out of the loop, not their partners - I'd guess the partners all knew they wouldn't be getting any GPUs once the news of severe shortages hit, 4 months ago. They just played along with the AMD BS generator to appease their long-suffering customer base. "sigh" - another victim who doesn't even realize he's been had.

The ASUS RX Vega page was up and running since October! I kept checking it to see if updates pop up.

What is with you guys and the fake news written lately, mostly very old news recycled and packaged as brand new info or worse?!

You guys wrote:

1. that Intel's Core-S has more PCI lanes than Ryzen,
2. That AM4, after a year, finally has some CPUs that make us of it's video out ports,
3. that you just found out that AMD is using AM4 until 2020,
4. that Raven Ridge is discovered to have mXFR,
5. that Vega Mobile made a sudden, unexpected turn and dropped HBM2 in favor of DDR4.

and the list is endless.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
4 months after RX Vega launch and there is still literally nothing. How they expect any sales when most people are waiting for aftermarket ones because the blowers literally suck. One would expect these cards being released in 2 weeks to max 1 month after reference launch, not this 4 months delay with nothing really known for actual release. A bit absurd.

None of which is the 3rd party manufacturer's fault. Vega is a shit show. The different height between the HBM2 memory and core that varies between different manufacturers of the Vega GPU and different power requirements and different clocks is not making it easy for ANY 3rd party to make Vega cards. That is why it's not even worth it for them to come out with Vega 56 versions.

The 1070Ti was available from 3rd party brands on the first day of release.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Have said it many times: AMD really doesn't want Vega to sell like hotcakes, because HBM2 is still expensive, the margins cannot be good on these products, and it all goes back to the old eternal AMD story of 'revenue but no profit'.

Company culture... hard to change.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Have said it many times: AMD really doesn't want Vega to sell like hotcakes, because HBM2 is still expensive, the margins cannot be good on these products, and it all goes back to the old eternal AMD story of 'revenue but no profit'.

And again, not the HBM is the problem but Apple as most Vega dies were reserved for the iMac Pro. Not a coincidence that most custom cards will launch around the same time as the iMac..

And why wouldn't they want that? I mean, if margins are low, then you need to compensate that with MASSIVE volumes. If you don't even bother with that, then what's the entire point of even producing ANYTHING? You have to make profit somehow and stacking small margins in large numbers can also create large income. There is demand, but supply is garbage, especially when it comes to better aftermarket coolers which anyone half serious wants over the crappy blowers which all of them suck but for those who need blower because of tiny case or something.

System Name Sillicon Nightmares
Processor Intel i7 9700KF 5ghz (5.1ghz 4 core load, no avx offset), 4.7ghz ring, 1.412vcore 1.3vcio 1.264vcsa
Motherboard Asus Z390 Strix F
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (B-Die) 3600 14-14-14-28 1t, tRFC 220 tREFI 65535, tFAW 16, 1.545vddq
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB XOC, Core: 2202-2240, Vcore: 1.075v, Mem: 9818mhz (Sillicon Lottery Jackpot)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430 1080p 144HZ + (2) Samsung SyncMaster 913v 1280x1024 75HZ + A Shitty TV For Movies
Case Deepcool Genome ROG Edition
Audio Device(s) Bunta Sniff Speakers From The Tip Edition With Extra Kenwoods
Power Supply Corsair AX860i/Cable Mod Cables
Mouse Logitech G602 Spilled Beer Edition
Keyboard Dell KB4021
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 13543 Firestrike (3dmark.com/fs/22336777) 601 points CPU-Z ST 37.4ns AIDA Memory
and it has the wrong die, looks like GP104

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
And why wouldn't they want that? I mean, if margins are low, then you need to compensate that with MASSIVE volumes. If you don't even bother with that, then what's the entire point of even producing ANYTHING? You have to make profit somehow and stacking small margins in large numbers can also create large income. There is demand, but supply is garbage, especially when it comes to better aftermarket coolers which anyone half serious wants over the crappy blowers which all of them suck but for those who need blower because of tiny case or something.

Massive volumes of HBM2 based cards, in a marketplace where the price of memory chips has been exploding the past year? Supply is garbage because freeing up manufacturing capacity is too expensive, not because somehow HBM2 is like a rare element only found on the peak of Mt. Everest in 20mg quantities.

The supply issue is simply a different beast: buying production capacity is too expensive for such a low-volume product. Because even ifVega would sell like hotcakes, in the larger scale of things its just a sliver of the market.

Its a simple business case, its about money, thus about margin on the product itself, which is too low, which is a consequence of it performing below expectations, which in turn makes it retarded for AMD to invest in producing it in the current marketplace. They've had more than enough time to crank out a large quantity of product by now and this is also the reason the AIBs are not keen on it. They need to put a team on a product that will never sell reliably. Remember: it was smoke and mirrors around Vega from the day it was announced, until after its release, with the weird pricing structure that actually didn't count for anyone as a shining example.

And again, not the HBM is the problem but Apple as most Vega dies were reserved for the iMac Pro. Not a coincidence that most custom cards will launch around the same time as the iMac..

Alright. Let's see if the 'Apple problem' (just another example of smoke and mirrors, the Apple deal didn't fall out of the sky yesterday and can be planned for) ever goes away then. Because around time of release there was no such Apple problem, it was an 'HBM2 supply problem' because apparently, these chips really do grow in tiny quantities on Mt Everest. I also heard that AMD had every intention of delaying its release because they had to get their production in order. Boy, this is getting weirder by the minute, isn't it?

You'll understand my skepticism :)

Last edited:
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
The ASUS RX Vega page was up and running since October! I kept checking it to see if updates pop up.

What is with you guys and the fake news written lately, mostly very old news recycled and packaged as brand new info or worse?!

You guys wrote:

1. that Intel's Core-S has more PCI lanes than Ryzen,
2. That AM4, after a year, finally has some CPUs that make us of it's video out ports,
3. that you just found out that AMD is using AM4 until 2020,
4. that Raven Ridge is discovered to have mXFR,
5. that Vega Mobile made a sudden, unexpected turn and dropped HBM2 in favor of DDR4.

and the list is endless.
Yes, there's a disturbing trend here, not quite fake news, but slanted or headlined in such a way to generate clicks and volatile posts. Plus, misleading by omitting information. TPU is still my favorite hardware site; their literary sins pale in comparison to most other sites. If that's what it takes to make money doing this, I tend to forgive them. But I believe only what's confirmed from several (reputable) sources. Pay attention to who wrote an article, you'll see a pattern.