• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS EAH 4850 512MB HDMI installation problem "Can not find graphics card" error

Pbow

4850 512MB HDMI installation problem "Can not find graphics card" error

hello reader,

i have just bought the ASUS EAH 4850 512MB DDR3 HDMI g-card and this error pops up when i log in, "Can not find ASUS graphics card"...I have hooked everything up right (i think).

i was under the impression that i could just put the g-card in and load the drivers/utilities from the cd provided. since i received the "can not find asus g-card" i have done a lot of research on where i could have gone wrong. i think the issue has to do with the BIOS. i tried asus trouble shooting, but the my issue is that my BIOS doesnt look like the one they are trouble shooting for. does any1 know what i need to turn on in order for the motherboard to know the g-card is their...what area would the g-card appear in the BIOS? im not that computer savvy when it comes to the BIOS. im sure its something easy that a person with more computer experience would know where to look...if you have read this far could some1 please let me know what step i have skipped or what step i need to take to get the g-card up and running. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but im a little lost when it comes to messing with the BIOS

my current spec's are: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17 GHz, 3.24 GB of RAM WinXP

thanks for taking the time to read

Last edited:
Does the error really say that?
So Im assuming your still getting some sort of display?
Whats motherboard are you using?
Are you using Catalyst drivers?

I have no clue how its saying it cannot find the ASUS card...Im assuming your using some sort of ASUS driver since it knows it looking for ASUS hardware.

Id try uninstalling the whatever driver you installed from the CD and going to the AMD/ATI site and getting the most recent catalyst drivers 8.11 (or 8.12 in two days). Id never advise using drivers from the CD unless your card is no properly supported by the mainstream drivers.

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Did you plug the 6 pin power cable into the card!!and is it seated all the way in correctly?
Could use some more info on your system

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
You shouldn't need to do any BIOS modifications to get the machine to recognise the graphics card.

I'd take the card out of the pci-e slot, blow into the slot to make sure there isn't any dust or anything else covering any of the pins and when you put teh card back in make sure it is in nice and snugly. You need to have a power cable plugged into the card as well from your PSU, make sure that is in nice and snug too.

When you've checked it is seated properly start your machine up, go into start menu>control panel> device manager for windows xp,
start>control panel> system and maintenance> device manager for windows vista.
Once in the device manager you should see the "display adapters" section, expand that and report what it sais, also expand the "unknown devices" section and say if there is anything in there.

Would be helpful to see what motherboard, power supply and operating system you are using as well.

Last edited:

Pbow

Does the error really say that?
So Im assuming your still getting some sort of display?
Whats motherboard are you using?
Are you using Catalyst drivers?

I have no clue how its saying it cannot find the ASUS card...Im assuming your using some sort of ASUS driver since it knows it looking for ASUS hardware.

Id try uninstalling the whatever driver you installed from the CD and going to the AMD/ATI site and getting the most recent catalyst drivers 8.11 (or 8.12 in two days). Id never advise using drivers from the CD unless your card is no properly supported by the mainstream drivers.

i am unable to load Catalyst drivers from cd or their webpage. when i try and load them theres an error message that pops up, "unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware."

other computer info:

-ASUS P5E-VM DO LGA 775 Intel Q35 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
-ABS Tagan ITZ Series ITZ800-V2 800W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500
-G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -
-Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 English for System Builders 1 Pack CD
-Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

this error is poping up b/c the smartdoc has been loaded and cant find it

Last edited:

Pbow

You shouldn't need to do any BIOS modifications to get the machine to recognise the graphics card.

I'd take the card out of the pci-e slot, blow into the slot to make sure there isn't any dust or anything else covering any of the pins and when you put teh card back in make sure it is in nice and snugly. You need to have a power cable plugged into the card as well from your PSU, make sure that is in nice and snug too.

When you've checked it is seated properly start your machine up, go into start menu>control panel> device manager for windows xp,
start>control panel> system and maintenance> device manager for windows vista.
Once in the device manager you should see the "display adapters" section, expand that and report what it sais, also expand the "unknown devices" section and say if there is anything in there.

Would be helpful to see what motherboard, power supply and operating system you are using as well.

btw...love the name

Everything is pluged in correctly (have a PCI-E cord from my power supply going to the card and i assume that is the only thing that needs to be pluged into it.)

another note: the fan on the g-card is running and when i turn on the computer the 2 red lights on it flash

-there were no "unknown devices"
-display adapters: Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family

here is a pic of the device manager...save it and throught it into power point to make later.

thank you readers for trying to help me.

Last edited:
Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
The vidcard should be under graphics adapters. Is the monitor plugged into the graphics card?

You may also try disabling the Onboard graphics in your BIOS.

Pbow

i dont have a "graphics adapter" in my device manager. and i do have a monitor in the card...the question i then have is if i turn off the onboard graphics in the BIOS will my monitor no longer display anything? and i have also checked in the BIOS for the card it is running from and im having trouble finding it...what term will the g-card be under?

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Motherboard EVGA 121-KS-E375
Cooling Stock (Temp.)
Memory GEIL 8192 MB X2 (DDR4-2137) - XMP 2.0 - P/N: CL16-16-16 D4-2400
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (TU104-410)
Storage Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB & Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256GB
Display(s) LG 32" Widescreen
Case Corsair Carbide Series 400
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX850 Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard DAS
Software Windows 10 20H2 64 Bit
turn off integrated graphics in your bios and then it should let you chose to choose pci-express for graphics or something similar

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Im with Lucas and Don on this one. Under "Display adapter" I see and intel chipset, which to me means onboard graphics. As he says turn of onboard in bios and hook the monitor to the card and not the other port that the onboard runs from.

Pbow

ty for the quick response...im not that savvy when it comes to the BIOS...i was just looking at it and i was wondering which option i should choose.

Advanced tab:
-North Britge Chipset Config.
-Initiate Graphic Adapter: its currently listed as [IGD]
the options are PCI/IGD, PCI/PEG, PEG/IGD, PEG/PCI
-Internal Graphics Mode Select: [Enabled, 8MB]
-PEG Port Control: [Auto]
-PEG Port Force x1: [Disabled]

im guessing this is the area you guys are referring to

System Name d2eamachine
Processor i3-12100f
Motherboard asrock b660m-itx
Cooling cpu idcooling se-226xt, gpu byski watercooling
Memory patriot blackout 4400 2x8GB
Video Card(s) zotac RTX 3070
Storage adata sx6000 lite 256GB
Display(s) viewsonic vx3276-qhd
Case coolermaster nr200p
Audio Device(s) topping D10s
Power Supply silverstone sx650-g
Mouse corsair harpoon rgb wireless
Keyboard corsair k95 rgb
internal graphics mode set to disabled, then look at back your pc, unplug dvi/analog cable from your monitor, then plug it in to your asus videocard right below your mobo i/o

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
ty for the quick response...im not that savvy when it comes to the BIOS...i was just looking at it and i was wondering which option i should choose.

Advanced tab:
-North Britge Chipset Config.
-Initiate Graphic Adapter: its currently listed as [IGD]
the options are PCI/IGD, PCI/PEG, PEG/IGD, PEG/PCI

-Internal Graphics Mode Select: [Enabled, 8MB]
-PEG Port Control: [Auto]
-PEG Port Force x1: [Disabled]

im guessing this is the area you guys are referring to

set the bold area to PCI/PEG and exit bios, after this is done take the monitor cable and hook it to on of the DVI ports on the actual card.

Pbow

thank you all for the help...im going to try this 1st thing when i get home from work.

Yea looks like you need to disable your onboard graphics card first. Remember to always post your specs in your profile in order for people to further understand your hardware.

Pbow

thank you all again for the help...i got it up and running last night

Yeong

thank you all again for the help...i got it up and running last night

sorry...im facing the same problem with you..popping up "cannot find ASUS graphic card" when start up windows..so wat gonna to do right now?
thanks..