• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G bios

jjoker

Is there a chance that someone has a back up from both bios (master and slave) of ASUS EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G ?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Check out the databases:

Your card have 2 BIOSes, so pick a pair with same clocks (825 / 901), same build date/time, but different MD5.

jjoker

I ve been through these bioses.My problem is that the card has 2 bioses an one is about 64kb and the other one is ~44kb.I believe that somehow they work together.I managed to flash both master and slave with 2 different bioses and the card seems to work.However when it run furmark onle master seems to run as I can see in hwinfo.The gpu load on slave is 0%.I do not know if it is supposed to work like that.Maybe if I connect a second monitor gpu #2 will wake up! That is why I need the default,untouched bios for both of them.Anothe problem was that one of the bioses does not have fan control.So I just guessed that only the master one haw fan control an the slave follows it. So if I had the original ones it would be more clear. By the way.As it is now I run passmark test and the score is as mentioned in their list

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Yes, 44kb is the slave BIOS.

HD 3870 X2 is 12-year-old card and considered failed technology that suffered from poor balancing between the GPUs.

Don't measure performance with FurMark or PassMark. Use 3DMark FireStrike.

Untouched original BIOSes:

Master

Slave

Last edited:

jjoker

Isnt there a problem with flashing different sub system ID s? When trying some bioses 1-2 days ago,I had a message from flashing programm for NOT flashing due to mismatch. By the way.I just saw that the slave bios mentions previously edited in RBE

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Use the command prompt version of ATI Flash and add the force switch (-f).

You can also use the ATI reference BIOSes:

Master

Slave

If you ask me, you are wasting your time. Every brand new graphic card will be faster... even the budget ones.

jjoker

It is not only about speed.It is a functional device that someone could use it,maybe only for surfing the internet and office applications.On the other hand if it is thrown away there will be chemical elements that will be transfered to the ground or sea (I do not trust recyclers).

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
It is not only about speed.It is a functional device that someone could use it,maybe only for surfing the internet and office applications.On the other hand if it is thrown away there will be chemical elements that will be transfered to the ground or sea (I do not trust recyclers).

Use it as paper weight for utility bills. That card has high power consumption... bad for the environment.

RX 550 ($80-$100) is 3 times faster, uses 70% less power, much cooler, better airflow, supports the latest API standards, and still get driver updates.

jjoker

:) Maybe I will do so.However is the first time I see a dual core card and I am interested on how they work.
So,until now I flash it in windows environment.Should I now use cmd in windows or make a bootable usb?

jjoker

Ok.I will try later when I leave office and report here...I hope not a bricked card!!!

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
:) Maybe I will do so.However is the first time I see a dual core card and I am interested on how they work.

Technically.

AMD = Crossfire. Nvidia = SLi

Both with some sort of 'bridge' or 'PLX' chip sitting in between the two so that both chips can communicate with each other & the system, cut down latency and handle control of pci-ex planes on the card.

Both technologies which nobody really cares about. The only people that do are extreme overclockers & benchers who want the #1 position in firestrike or similar apps. With Synthetic benchmarks, multi-GPus can pull some big numbers but when it comes to actual gameplay. Using the setup for games, the end result is often not really worth the effort.

Games are either badly optimised and not built to use such technologies and thus cause lots of problems ranging from CTDs, micro-stuttering, ghosting or weird shapes being stretched across the screen. Some developers wont even code their engines to make use of dual GPu setups. so when you start up a game, only one GPu will be used despite crossfire/sli being enabled.

Drivers on both sides can often be iffy with dual GPu support with ATi/AMD probably being the worst offender in the history between them and Nvidia. Occasionally both sides will break dual GPu profiles. but ATi/AMD will never own up to breaking anything. It took a loooooooong time and many generations of GPus for ATi/AMD to actually admit. Crossfire was completely broken and even though both cards were being used. The amount of frames being dropped by the second card meant that it was mainly one card doing all the heavily lifting.

If you want to google all this look into AMD frame pacing & runt frames. If someone didnt call AMD out for this BS. they would of carried on selling it to masses.

Putting in a second card will never give a 100% boost. The actual result is between 50-70% scaling but never 100% - youre getting less of a boost for the money you put in.

dual GPu makes more sense on lower end cards but Nvidia have gone out of their way to stop people SLi'ing low-midrange cards. Not even a GTX1060 supports SLi officially. You gotta use some software hacks to get it working.

Not to forget two cards creating more heat and eating more power as mentioned above.

But yeah --- thats how they work.

::EDT::

Also... Crossfire is dead. (They killed it off with vega) Crossfire now only works with dx12 and vulkan games. which means you wont be able to run crossfire with newer titles because your card doesnt support any of those technologies. (i think.... Though I could be wrong but thats what i get when i do a quick google)

Last edited:

jjoker

Thanks for the explanation and for spending time to write all this!!!

I flashed ATI reference BIOSes and it is not bricked.However it works the same as the previous bioses.I now installing a dif version of drivers to see if something changes

jjoker

Update: I know that maybe noone in the future will need it but I will post my findings just in case.I flashed the slave gpu with file Asus.HD3870X2.512.071218.rom and Asus.HD3870X2.512.071218_1.rom and messed the card.The card kept working but the slave gpu showed 4gb(!!!) memory (I wished) and an exclamation mark in device manager.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Just flash it back to the previous BIOSes. As I already told you, poor load balance (secondary GPU barely used) is a known issue for this card.

jjoker

This is what I did, flashed backI tested it and works fine.I benchmarked with passmark and it shows that it is 50% faster than single HD 3870. I will leave it this way