1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus G73jh-B1 Help/Review

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DRG, Aug 30, 2010.

1. DRG

Thanks Received:
    Specs
    -Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 740QM : 1.73 GHz
    -Windows® 7 Home Premium 64Bit
    -8GB DDR3 1066
    -17.3" Full HD (1920x1080)
    -ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 5870, 1G GDDR5 VRAM
    -Blu-Ray DVD Combo
    -Wifi a/b/g/n + Bluetooth 2.1
    -Built-in 2.1 channel stereo speakersEAX Advanced HD 4.0
    -1Tb HDD (2x500Gb 7200RPM Sata2)

So i picked this up 2 days ago, been testing the crap out of it, lots of issues with it to say the least. Biggest issue, ATI driver support. It seems im stuck using the ones from Asus... which are 8.683 etc. So between the inability to update ATI drivers, unles i want GSOD's from hell, and no options for controlling the fan, I'm very disapointed in this $1800 notebook. Among some of the other issues are:
    -Steam, you have to disable sound enhancements, some sort of issue with the sound blaster software. took 3 formatts to find that out...
    -AI Recovery Burner, recovery software that didnt work from day 1, wasted about 10 dvds including a few dual layers. Called cutomer support and that wasnt any help at all. waiting on an email reply to find out if they can send me a free set.
    -Heat, its too be expected, but for $1800 they should offer the consumer some way to adjust cooling fans.
    -OS, I wasnt happy with asus what so ever in this matter, I'm used to companys like HP, Dell, and Acer loading up there computers with junk ware. Out of the box I found way too much junk on it, slow, not as responsive as one would expect from this kind of hardware. After doing a clean install with a fresh OS, i find that theres no where to download the software to play blu rays, also waiting on an email from asus about that... mind you, fresh OS makes this much more responsive (getting 60-100 FPS COD MW2 maxed out)

On the upside, sound is great, display is beautiful, design is epic, features, well just about everything youd want in a notebook.

So I'm hoping some one can do something about the ATI drivers, and maybe find a solution for a fan controller.

Pleas add any comments or suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010