• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
Asus support forwarded my ticket to Taiwan for deeper analysis.

Any engineering level corrections, them will require a minimum of four weeks so them to be delivered.
Any one lucking patience he will suffer the most.
ASUS it does have best engineers working for it, but they are no Gods.
Just give them the required time frame so them to respond back.

b1gLoRD

Any engineering level corrections, them will require a minimum of four weeks so them to be delivered.
Any one lucking patience he will suffer the most.
ASUS it does have best engineers working for it, but they are no Gods.
Just give them the required time frame so them to respond back.
Sure, thats what I expected, Its not any "game changer" bug, I even highlight to them that its not causing any issue for me, its more just feedback to them and offer for troubleshooting in case they are not able reproduce the issue in their lab (in case its caused by some sw combination in pc).

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
Sure, thats what I expected, Its not any "game changer" bug, I even highlight to them that its not causing any issue for me, its more just feedback to them and offer for troubleshooting in case they are not able reproduce the issue in their lab (in case its caused by some sw combination in pc).
Believe it or not, right now all VGA brands they do extensive product testing, so them to discover the truth. :)

Neonix

Asus support forwarded my ticket to Thaiwan for deeper analysis. So maybe you can also send all the info from your post to support so they will have more info.
On Idle my clocks are 210/56 mhz and gpu usage at 5% . For me the fans are all the time at idle on 1000 rpm (53%) but fans behave weirdly if I set them to manual and move slider to zero, they stop and after seconds they start spining at around 300 rpm then stop again etc.
It looks like Asus made new bios update just before the shipment of retail cards and they didnt tested it properly.

When I got reply from support I will post it in thread.

Ok thanks! I created a ticket with Asus myself, and attached all the info and screen shots and everything.
I'll update this thread whenever I get a response from Asus.

I've so far solved the issue by using Asus GPU Tweak II and disabling "0dB Fan" mode, which makes the fans spin at a constant 990rpm, which is far better than having the fans go on and off constantly. I also believe it's better for the fans to stay at a constant 990rpm than to turn on and off all the time.

Strangely enough it seems like the fans "minimum" speed is 1000rpm, which according to GPU Tweak is about 50% fan speed. Maybe the fans can't go much lower than that without starting to act strange. I've seen the same on other case fans in the past, if you set them too low they start acting weird, starting, stopping, and just not working properly. Some fan motors need a certain amount of minimum voltage to work normally.

Neonix

I submitted the ticket to Asus on the 26th. It's now the 30th. Still haven't received any reply what-so-ever outside of the automated "we've received your case" email.
4+ day waiting time to even get an answer isn't exactly good support.

b1gLoRD

I just got update on my ticket from Taiwan that I should check "Stall temperature" settings in GPU Tweak II advanced menu. Unfortunately I cannot find this temperature option anywhere.
I also set user defined fan behaviour and set it to 0% for 55°C and after apply it still stay at 53%. I think this must be a vbios issue.

Neonix

I finally heard from Asus support:

This type of fan control issues are most often caused by a poor contact with motherboard PCIe, please try re-seat the card and make sure it is connected properly.

Also make sure you have updated latest NVidia driver and GPU Tweak.

As expected their answer was useless. If the card wasn't properly seated in the PCIe socket that would have caused other major instability issues. Regardless, I tried re-seating it and it had zero effect.
I am using the latest Nvidia driver and this issue happened before I installed GPU Tweak in the first place (I only installed GPU Tweak software because I had to so that I could disable the 0db mode, as no other software offers that feature).

I'll probably just have to RMA the card for a full refund once resellers have stock again.

@b1gLoRD you previously mentioned a Reddit thread with more people having similar issues? Could you post a link to that reddit thread?

b1gLoRD

I finally heard from Asus support:

As expected their answer was useless. If the card wasn't properly seated in the PCIe socket that would have caused other major instability issues. Regardless, I tried re-seating it and it had zero effect.
I am using the latest Nvidia driver and this issue happened before I installed GPU Tweak in the first place (I only installed GPU Tweak software because I had to so that I could disable the 0db mode, as no other software offers that feature).

I'll probably just have to RMA the card for a full refund once resellers have stock again.

@b1gLoRD you previously mentioned a Reddit thread with more people having similar issues? Could you post a link to that reddit thread?
there is no thread, I just found few posts where people claim they got a card and sent them DM.
My asus suport rep sent my pictures of even fan custom profile not going bellow 53% fan speed back to Taiwan.
I think this must be a vbios issue, so if you can wait for new vbios it can fix all these issues and you dont need to RMA.

dream3

Wait are you guys trying to disable 0rpm or enable it?

My 3090 OC used to do 0rpm but after I used afterburner it started to idle at 51% 900 rpm. I lost 0rpm...

edit: im using quiet bios mode.

edit2: im in NA, how the hell do I open a ticket? it keeps sending me back to the FAQ.

Last edited:

Wyndstorn

Hi. I have a TUF 3080 non OC, and I'm also experiencing the exact same fans behaviour as Neonix.

The slightest GPU activity wakes the fans despite temps being around 30º. Usually when this happens, they stay at 53%.

My vbios in performance mode is 94.02.26.40.6E.

There is also a thread about this issue in Asus's TUF forums, although with limited posters.

cl3232

I have the exact same issue TUF 3080 OC. Posted this already in some German forums.

There are a lot more people affected. So i guessing its a BIOS issue.

The Most BIOS i could find from reviewers are not the same as these from the retail cards.

Reviewers:
94.02.26.40.68 (OC Bios?)

Retail:
Quiet BIOS: 94.02.25.80.EE
OC BIOS: 94.02.26.80.EF

Forums with the same issue:

German

English
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/j34ydz
A few are created by me.

I hope we get ASAP a BIOS update. The more people complain, the more attention it gets from the tech community xD

Smonkie

3090 TUF OC user here. Exact same issue: fans spin on idle at 53%. Always the same percentage, then go back to 0%. Not a temperature issue because it stays at 29/30º.

I don't understand how could this obvious issue bypass QC.

dream3

3090 TUF OC user here. Exact same issue: fans spin on idle at 53%. Always the same percentage, then go back to 0%. Not a temperature issue because it stays at 29/30º.

I don't understand how could this obvious issue bypass QC.

Exactly the same with me.

Im running bios in QUIET mode.

1601924117808.png

cl3232

A good idea would be, if one of the reviewers could retest that card. If the reviewers BIOS 94.02.26.40.68 (Quiet BIOS version?) has the same issue, like our retail cards, they should reach out to ASUS.

loc

I have Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC and have similar fan issues discussed here and also power target problem.
I checked few review sites which had gpuz screenshot up and they all had 94.02.26.40.67 (kitguru.net, techpowerup.com example)

My card bios version for:
Quiet mode: 94.02.26.80.EE
OC mode: 94.02.26.80.EF
Both bios has same frequency and power target. Only difference is that the fan is more aggressive and spins faster with OC bios when under load. Idle fan speed is same 53% and fans only stop when monitor goes to sleep. Easy to test with setting monitor sleep time to one minute.

Other thing I noticed and double tested is limited power target compared to the cards what reviewers had.
My cards default power target is normal 340W as it should but when I apply 110% power target (maximum the vbios allows) I only get 355W and it should be 375W. Power slider goes to 110% (Afterburner, Asus GPU Tweak and nVidia's own OC tool tested) but it only gives 105% resulting maximum of 355W.
So all in all something is wrong with this vbios with the fans not stopping and also with maximum power target.

Wyndstorn

Hi all.

I'll share a comment included in another forum, hoping it can help someone (although this wasn't my case, as I have always had that setting to "adaptive"):

There is no issue, or at least not with my bios. I initially had the same issue, and started troubleshooting.

When I set in Nvidia Control Panel the power settings to "adaptive" instead of "performance" it seems to be fixed. Not at first, but after a reboot. If you would still need to switch to "performance", you could use the "always 3D" setting in GPU Tweak II, as this does not require a reboot to kick in.

Smonkie

Hi all.

I'll share a comment included in another forum, hoping it can help someone (although this wasn't my case, as I have always had that setting to "adaptive"):

There is no issue, or at least not with my bios. I initially had the same issue, and started troubleshooting.

When I set in Nvidia Control Panel the power settings to "adaptive" instead of "performance" it seems to be fixed. Not at first, but after a reboot. If you would still need to switch to "performance", you could use the "always 3D" setting in GPU Tweak II, as this does not require a reboot to kick in.

Tried. Not working.

cl3232

If they are from the same TUFs we all have, I don't see how it was going to solve anything. We need ASUS to release a new BIOS.

As I saw, the reviewers had no issue with the ZeroFan...

I try to flash it this evening. We are lucky to have a DualBios. So if it goes wrong, we can switch to the other one.

Smonkie

As I saw, the reviewers had no issue with the ZeroFan...

I try to flash it this evening. We are lucky to have a DualBios. So if it goes wrong, we can switch to the other one.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but this is a widespread issue affecting 3080 & 3090 alike and I highly doubt that reviewer just got a TUF which works properly. Probably he just didn't notice because the issue can take a while to appear. You can be just browsing and the fans will remain at 0%, so maybe that's what happened to him.

cl3232

Be aware that the vbios versions that hardwareluxx.de has uploaded, seem to correspond to the OC version of the TUF 3080.

Yes, they have a OC model - you can read "O10G" - never saw a non-OC in the wild so far...

vfgyfgbygb.JPG

I'm sorry to be so negative, but this is a widespread issue affecting 3080 & 3090 alike and I highly doubt that reviewer just got a TUF which works properly. Probably he just didn't notice because the issue can take a while to appear. You can be just browsing and the fans will remain at 0%, so maybe that's what happened to him.

It's worth a try - isn't it?