• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC

cl3232

I flashed 94.02.26.40.68 (quiet version) from hadwareluxx and the fans wont turn off too :(

Attachments

• gpu02.JPG
    gpu02.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 432
  • gpu01.JPG
    gpu01.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 310

Wyndstorn

Can you try closing all monitoring software and looking at the actual fans in the card? For me they stop quite often as long as I'm not using any app that monitors the card, or cause graphics load. For example, Internet browsing keeps my fans stopped almost all the time.

I also have a xx.xx.40.xx bios, but in a non-OC TUF.

cl3232

Can you try closing all monitoring software and looking at the actual fans in the card? For me they stop quite often as long as I'm not using any app that monitors the card, or cause graphics load. For example, Internet browsing keeps my fans stopped almost all the time.

I also have a xx.xx.40.xx bios, but in a non-OC TUF.

I tried that on my test system (x470-F with a Ryzen 3 3200G) on a fresh an clean Win10, only with the nVidia driver. Fans wont turn off.

In a German forum, some wrote, that the fans turn off under Linux, but not on Windows

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Where the hell did you all buy this card? Even the biggest etailers dont have it.

b_wellington

Hello guys.
Just my few cents on TUF NON-OC.
Also managed to grab the card, the default curve have erratic behaviour, but! In msi afterburner i have managed to set up a minimum fan speed of 46% up to 40C - at that speed It's reading constant 660 rpm, not audible at all. Not perfect, but It's a temporary solution i can live with.
At loads in games i set it so it spins up to 1500-1700 and keeps the temp within 65.
I'd like to have custom fan stop with hysteresis though, but not willing to freak over. I am sure this can be fixed with bios.
Edit: i can spin at as low as 40% and up to 45%, but the speed is not constant, readings are all over and visually fans wobble. Any lower than 40% - fans are stuck at start-stop cycle.
46% is the lowest functional speed.

Last edited:

Neonix

I received a reply from Asus regarding my issues with the fan-stop function as described in a previous post:

Thank you for these details, unfortunately we cannot reproduce this with what we have at hand. We will pass these on for our testlab to try reproduce
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us again!

So I urge everyone that experiences this issue to create support tickets directly with Asus referring to the described issues and this forum thread. The more they pass on to their Q/A and testlab the better.

cl3232

One of the stuff from hardwareluxx.de contacted also one from ASUS directly. The problem is, that the ASUS card use not the GPU Temp. for the fans, no, they use the board power draw. ASUS use 30W as threshold. Other use 50W (inno3D). Hes guessing, that we get a BIOS update with a new threshold (50W).

We have to wait for a moment, because the China and Taiwan had holidays.

Neonix

One of the stuff from hardwareluxx.de contacted also one from ASUS directly. The problem is, that the ASUS card use not the GPU Temp. for the fans, no, they use the board power draw. ASUS use 30W as threshold. Other use 50W (inno3D). Hes guessing, that we get a BIOS update with a new threshold (50W).

We have to wait for a moment, because the China and Taiwan had holidays.

Thanks. That makes sense. Cause I see the fans spin up whenever the board clocks itself up momentarily. It's strange though, cause my previous card, a Asus Strix RTX 2070 Super never activated the fans unless it reached a certain temperature. Small spikes in power draw will as it is now cause the fans to spin up and down constantly all the time. Even watching a YouTube video uses more than 30w, and when I play a Youtube video, the fans activate and cool the gpu down to an unecessary level of like 30 celsius...

b1gLoRD

Thanks. That makes sense. Cause I see the fans spin up whenever the board clocks itself up momentarily. It's strange though, cause my previous card, a Asus Strix RTX 2070 Super never activated the fans unless it reached a certain temperature. Small spikes in power draw will as it is now cause the fans to spin up and down constantly all the time. Even watching a YouTube video uses more than 30w, and when I play a Youtube video, the fans activate and cool the gpu down to an unecessary level of like 30 celsius...
They marketed their product with fanstop until 55 °C so they should provide that and not any power treshold. My few years old MSI 1080 trio x have also fan stop until like 55 °C degrees and I can run the game for like 5 minutes until temp reach that treshold and fan will start spining.
Also there is not only issue about auto fan stop, but because of this issue, we are not able to use custom fan curve because fans will not go lower than 53% (1000rpm),
I provided all the details and feedback to my local asus rep, I am waiting for his reply.

raptorstas

i have the same problem with tuf OC ::(

start/stop fans just while i'm surfing facebook :mad:
So I urge everyone that experiences this issue to create support tickets directly with Asus referring to the described issues and this forum thread. The more they pass on to their Q/A and testlab the better.
created support ticket now

Last edited:
System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Wizz, did you do some research on that as you did in case of 5600xt fan overshoot?

loc

I already made a report about this to Asus but just got pretty generic answer back. They said to reinstall drivers and applying silent mode from GPU Tweak software. Ofc I had already tried that and also told that in my initial message. I'd also want to see that 55C fan cut off to work as I have good case ventilation so I doubt that fans would need to run even at 50W. Btw my card normal idle power draw is ~40W reported by GPUZ. Other problem with the vbios is power limit. It goes to 110% 375W but in reality it only allows 105% 355W. Setting the power limit to 105% or 110% results the same maximum power draw.

Neonix

I already made a report about this to Asus but just got pretty generic answer back. They said to reinstall drivers and applying silent mode from GPU Tweak software. Ofc I had already tried that and also told that in my initial message. I'd also want to see that 55C fan cut off to work as I have good case ventilation so I doubt that fans would need to run even at 50W. Btw my card normal idle power draw is ~40W reported by GPUZ. Other problem with the vbios is power limit. It goes to 110% 375W but in reality it only allows 105% 355W. Setting the power limit to 105% or 110% results the same maximum power draw.

I'm experiencing the same. My card is power limited all the time (perfcap reason pwr) after increasing the power limit to 110%, yet I've never seen the total power usage of the card go over 347W.
Maybe adjusting the powerlimit only adjusts it based on base GPU TDP, which for the RTX 3080 is 320W TDP. 320w + 10% = 352w, which seems correct.

According to the Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC review specifications, the TDP for the Asus card is also listed at 320w: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc-review
Which means 320w + 10% = 352w is correct in that case. But I've seen my card use around 335w without increasing the powerlimit at all, in quiet mode, without "OC mode" enabled, so the specifications in the tomshardware review doesn't make sense.

Then again this review states that 340w is the default powerlimit (without adjustements) and 375w is max powerlimit with +10% adjustement: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc/30.html

The Asus website or marketing material doesn't show default tdp for the card.
Maybe the +10 powerlimit is marketing numbers based on base tdp, and pushing the power limit only adjusts it to +10% increase over base tdp.
That would be very cynical of Asus if that's the case, and the TechPowerUp review would then be spreading false information in their review.

In regards to the fan-stop issues, I also got the same generic reply from Asus support, and specifically had to tell them to escalate the issue to R&D or engineering.

Last edited:

DplanetHD

Hello from France :)

I have exactly the same non-stop-fans problem on my 3090 TUF O24G (card arrived September 26th) in Quiet Bios Mode.

Here are the details of my TUF :

raptorstas

guys, u can solve the problem by flashing Palit updated bios, they already solved this fans problem (while ASUS has not)i did that today with tuf OC and it seems ok

cl3232

guys, u can solve the problem by flashing Palit updated bios, they already solved this fans problem (while ASUS has not)i did that today with tuf OC and it seems ok

Do Palit and ASUS have the same board design? If not. is that no a bit to risky?

EDIT:

I flashed it. Fans are off. BUT second monitor is not recognized on the second DP. Only on the first and third one. And the second screen has now a yellowish tint.

561651.PNG

Last edited:

raptorstas

BUT second monitor is not recognized on the second DP. Only on the first and third one. And the second screen has now a yellowish tint.
maybe maybe...
i think flashing palit bios is good TEMPORARY solving of the problem, while asus hasnt made bios update

Neonix

Flashing with a BIOS from a different manufacturer isn't even a workaround. Not worth the risk. It voids your warranty.
Asus needs to deliver an updated BIOS that fixes both the fan-stop issues and powerlimiter issues.
Or cards will be RMA'ed once resellers have stock.

It's sad that one of the best built RTX 3080 cards are supplied with a poorly tested BIOS with many bugs.
I'm gonna advise people to stay away from the Asus cards until Asus has officially supplied a fix. A friend already cancelled his RTX 3090 Strix order because of this.

cl3232

Flashing with a BIOS from a different manufacturer isn't even a workaround. Not worth the risk. It voids your warranty.

The risk is low if since we have a dual bios. If the flash process goes wrong, switch to the second, boot into windows, switch the bios again and reflash the defect with the original.

And about the warranty... if you would RMA the card, and on both BIOS slots is the original BIOS, they can tell that you tried a diff. BIOS.

Neonix

The risk is low if since we have a dual bios. If the flash process goes wrong, switch to the second, boot into windows, switch the bios again and reflash the defect with the original.

And about the warranty... if you would RMA the card, and on both BIOS slots is the original BIOS, they can tell that you tried a diff. BIOS.

Still not worth it IMO. All sorts of crap can pop up (secondary monitors not working, powerlimit issues, stability issues, fan curve issues, etc).

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Flashing the Bios, particularly with one from another card is NOT the answer, are you going to be responsible and pay for all the bricked cards that could result?

raptorstas

Flashing the Bios, particularly with one from another card is NOT the answer, are you going to be responsible and pay for all the bricked cards that could result?
go to 1060 forum lol , and give your advices there