• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS GTX 1060 STRIX OC 6 GB

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
ASUS has good products but they always set their pricing high above all of their competitors.
It's amazing that so many consumers trust this brand and are willing to pay so much more for it.

They charge a premium for the Strix card because it is a premium product with extra features. If you want cheaper then the GTX1060 Dual, it is much more in line price wise with the cheaper cards at $290. The cheapest 1060 on newegg right now running $250, and that is a Zotac card with pretty piss poor cooling(think Intel stock cooler piss poor). Or you can go with the Gigabyte Windforce, but then you'd be gambling buying a Gigabyte card...

$330 o_O would take the $199 3GB evga mini over this all day and save $130.

The 3GB GTX1060 isn't even the same card, it has less shaders than the 6GB version.

Malabooga

Oh then RX480 8 GB pricing must have changed in the last few days. I checked last week and the cheapest was $270

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6163686&SID=isxuhosjfo011rh100053

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-480?sPage=1&sSort=3

plenty of reference cards for sale at MSRP in EU

just because they sell out fast doesnt mean that you can slap random price on them

especially when performance youre taking for chart is that of reference card and AIB cards are 10+% faster

Last edited:
System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism (BOX-cooler)
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Red
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Case Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows10 64bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6163686&SID=isxuhosjfo011rh100053
http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-480?sPage=1&sSort=3
plenty of reference cards for sale at MSRP in EU
just because they sell out fast doesnt mean that you can slap random price on them
especially when performance youre taking for chart is that of reference card and AIB cards are 10+% faster

1)The linkNo3 (overclockers.co.uk) that you put has price in £ not $. Do you know how much it is if you convert 219£ ? -> 291$ for the cheapest RX480!!

2)The other links present near msrp prices only for the reference-based models. All the other aftermarket (*and much better quality) RX 480's are more expensive (so far at least).
269$ for the cheapest aftermarket at Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=rx480+8gb&rh=i:aps,k:rx480+8gb&qid=1473570616&sort=price-asc-rank )
260$ at Newegg ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ription=rx480&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36 )

Malabooga

1)The linkNo3 (overclockers.co.uk) that you put has price in £ not $. Do you know how much it is if you convert 219£ ? -> 291$ for the cheapest RX480!!

2)The other links present near msrp prices only for the reference-based models. All the other aftermarket (*and much better quality) RX 480's are more expensive (so far at least).
269$ for the cheapest aftermarket at Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=rx480+8gb&rh=i:aps,k:rx480+8gb&qid=1473570616&sort=price-asc-rank )
260$ at Newegg ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ription=rx480&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36 )

1. And do you even know how world outside US functions? Apparently not. And that didnt stop you from educating yourself, because education is overrated, right? 229 pounds is MSRP for UK, 269€ is MSRP for Germany. Too bad you didnt look up other cards prices before you made youre clueless post.

2. And guess what he uses for performance chart. REFERENCE card, while AIB cards are 10+% faster. So his chart is WRONG no matter how much you troll. So........why are you trolling?

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Software Windows10 64bit
Can you show me the press release from AMD which says about MSRP of 269€ in Europe? (*or you are referring only about Germany? I'm sorry if i don't know German prices since i don't live there:p ).
In all the forums i've been, i've only seen the MSRP in $ which was 239$. So can you please enlighten me about the European (or German) MSRP?(*i say again that i need AMD's press release for RX480 which states the MSRP at 269€ )
If what you are saying is true, and the European MSRP is 269€ ( 303$ o_O), this means that AMD sells its product almost 65$ more expensively at the PC-users in Europe compared the ones at US.
This is something that ,-as someone who lives in Europe-, should trouble you in my opinion. !!!
P.S. I'm a troll because i presented links with prices? Only a troll would say such a thing:shadedshu:

Last edited:

Mustangace

ASUS has good products but they always set their pricing high above all of their competitors.
It's amazing that so many consumers trust this brand and are willing to pay so much more for it.

Seems ASUS thinks it doesn't have any good competitors??

I've purchased many ASUS products in the past, video cards, motherboards, monitors, etc., because of the quality of their products. However, ASUS, especially with its X99 motherboards, has stepped down a notch in their quality control, if many online customer reviews are to be believed. And I believe them.

MSI has stepped up as a huge major player with both motherboards and video cards, and due to their quality with decent pricing (at least in the recent past), have seen my money more these days. Even EVGA will see my money when it comes to my purchase of a GTX 1080 (or 1080 Ti, should one come out) later this year. With the whole GTX 1080 pricing scheme started by Nvidia with their Founders version and OEMs, such as ASUS and MSI price gouging their consumers, EVGA has stepped right in to offer high quality GTX 1080s at reasonable prices and great online user reviews.

Guess MSI would rather follow in ASUS' footsteps to increase bottom line profits than to offer their customers a good deal? I think that's a mistake that simply allows good competitors to take market share from them. But good companies can ignore competition, if they wish. Many do, right up until they can't any longer. Consumers will follow certain name brands as long as they don't get burned but when they do, they will switch to other very good competitors in a heartbeat - those willing to offer good value and quality with reasonable prices to their customers.

Don't get me wrong. I like ASUS. I like MSI. I have used many products from both, but when quality and/or pricing is unreasonable, I've gone to ZOTAC and EVGA for video cards before, and will again. Both are very good companies.

When money becomes the major focus of an otherwise good company, I, for one, will ditch them when there are good, hungry competitors offering me a better deal. Right now EVGA is that company for my GTX 1080. I've used their brand before and they have never let me down. Due to the ASUS X99 motherboards I would be interested in getting, with bad reviews, I will be going with the MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon. It's currently reasonably priced for what I need, and has good reviews.

So, my whole point is that a company can be a good company but when they start to focus more on how much money they can get out of their customer AND ignore their competition, they are making a huge mistake that will bite them in time.

ASUS is so huge that it may take some time for them to lose enough customers to start working to keep them again, but I hope they don't ignore both their customers and competitors for long. They've offered great products at reasonable prices in the past. They are the only ones stopping themselves from doing it now.

Last edited:
System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
The MSRP is routinely being ignored by both stores and websites in the US, and actually getting worse for certain models pushing them out of their price points.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
I've purchased many ASUS products in the past, video cards, motherboards, monitors, etc., because of the quality of their products. However, ASUS, especially with its X99 motherboards, has stepped down a notch in their quality control, if many online customer reviews are to be believed. And I believe them.

The worst part about ASUS is their customer service, which I found during an RMA to be the worst I've ever encountered.
Not only is it very difficult to get anyone to answer the phone, but when you do, the person transfers you because they have no clue, and drops the call.

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
The drop of gamer base in NoMan's sky is more powerful than a drop of bass in any dubstep song

Processor Core i5-4440
Motherboard Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
Memory 8 GB DDR3-2400 CL11
Video Card(s) GTX 760 2GB
What is wrong with GTX 1060 in Rise of the tomb raider benchmark?! it's significantly slower than GTX 980 and even RX 480!

Malabooga

Can you show me the press release from AMD which says about MSRP of 269€ in Europe? (*or you are referring only about Germany? I'm sorry if i don't know German prices since i don't live there:p ).
In all the forums i've been, i've only seen the MSRP in $ which was 239$. So can you please enlighten me about the European (or German) MSRP?(*i say again that i need AMD's press release for RX480 which states the MSRP at 269€ )
If what you are saying is true, and the European MSRP is 269€ ( 303$ o_O), this means that AMD sells its product almost 65$ more expensively at the PC-users in Europe compared the ones at US.
This is something that ,-as someone who lives in Europe-, should trouble you in my opinion. !!!
P.S. I'm a troll because i presented links with prices? Only a troll would say such a thing:shadedshu:

Another clueless murican trolling. Again, its true that for you education is overrated. Yes its called tax. But nooooooo, youre gonna troll away, right?

People like you give muricans bad name.

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Software Windows10 64bit
I see you didn't answer to my request about presenting AMD's statement for MSRP of 269€, since you were the one who said that this is an official MSRP.
Your inability to back up your own claims with something official from the side of AMD, proves who is the troll here!
Also, by the way you write & insult others, shows who between us lacks of education.
( P.S. I'm not a "murican", and never said i am "murican", you made that assumption on your own. I only said that i don't live in Germany, i didn't specify anything else :rolleyes:)

Malabooga

Instead trolling random forums you could have educated yourself on the matter.

Oh, youre a murican rofl

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Software Windows10 64bit
1. And do you even know how world outside US functions? Apparently not. And that didnt stop you from educating yourself, because education is overrated, right? 229 pounds is MSRP for UK, 269€ is MSRP for Germany. Too bad you didnt look up other cards prices before you made youre clueless post.
2. And guess what he uses for performance chart. REFERENCE card, while AIB cards are 10+% faster. So his chart is WRONG no matter how much you troll. So........why are you trolling?

I have to say that you were correct about the English MSRP. According to an English site, Bit-tech.net, the UK MSRP for RX480 8GB is £215 : http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/06/29/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/1
Although i'm a troll , according to your opinion, i have to say that you were correct at your statement about the MSRP.;)