• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Intros GeForce GTX 680 4GB with Dual-Slot DirectCU II Cooler

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm not trying to insult you dude but please use your native language with proper spelling and grammar in Google Translate.

Everybody know that news before 2 months and everybody know NVIDIA is enemy of overclocking when they sell good their cards. When start to sell less number of cards they will change politic.
Now they think to look Classified model because new series they want to OC in fabric and offer like new series. And what if Classified is 10% weaker only, how to sell that when they decide to avoid GK110. That is not OK for their fans to pay 100e more for same and LESS performance than AMD Fans. And special is bad because card 200e more than stock models are locked not and AMD Fans can push their cards with voltages. But never mind EVGA Fans will survive only that is not OK movement. Not for us, for everybody.

But procedure of backing EVboot connector is easy, card is solid, card is durable and it's small chance to something go wrong. You don't need on beginning to do that. After few months, usually card if work 6 months work and after 6 years. If someone want to know he can find on net how to back card in life and on OC torture table... For me is enough EVBoot cable through holes for water cooling tubes on Obsidian 650D and close to me... in one hole EVboot, on other volt meter and I m happy to hear screaming of that big cooler during benchmarks, for daily use some 1300MHz is good number, I love rounder numbers like 2000MHz, 4500MHz, 1300MHz,...
And 4GB I hear something about new Memory to improve boost. Maybe Samsung or... I 'm not sure I search for information.

Good thing for this new card is because ASUS offer 4GB too. I love card with double memory, but Classified is better for me.

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro

That they did. But EVGA could have kept EVBOT if they were willing to shoulder their own RMA.
AnandTech Forums: Nvidia Response to 600-series overvoling

We support overvoltaging up to a limit on our products, but have a maximum reliability spec that is intended to protect the life of the product. We don’t want to see customers disappointed when their card dies in a year or two because the voltage was raised too high.

Regarding overvoltaging above our max spec, we offer AICs two choices:

· Ensure the GPU stays within our operating specs and have a full warranty from NVIDIA.

· Allow the GPU to be manually operated outside specs in which case NVIDIA provides no warranty.

We prefer AICs ensure the GPU stays within spec and encourage this through warranty support, but it’s ultimately up to the AIC what they want to do. Their choice does not affect allocation. And this has no bearing on the end user warranty provided by the AIC. It is simply a warranty between NVIDIA and the AIC.

With regards to your MSI comment below, we gave MSI the same choice I referenced above -- change their SW to disable OV above our reliability limit or not obtain a warranty. They simply chose to change their software in lieu of the warranty. Their choice. It is not ours to make, and we don’t influence them one way or the other.

The conclusion I come to here is that MSI and EVGA were offering out-of-spec overvolting on their Lightning and Classified lines, and they wanted NVIDIA to still handle RMAs on those cards; or conversely, MSI and EVGA aren't willing to put their money behind their products.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What is your thinking about NVIDIA move and decide to ask for EVBOOT remove??? Why they do that, I hope it's not sensitive Kepler GK104.
MSI GTX680 Lightening have LN2 BIOS too but I'm not sure it's same like voltage increase with EVBoot.
I don't know voltage limit on both cards. My thinking is best possible options is solder new
GTX680 4GB Classified with new memory. With boot increase EVGA try to compensate maybe voltage limit. If something like that is possibile.
Bigger boost on Kepler is everything I think.
But mix of that two will be perfect.
GTX680 is for me better than HD7970. But GTX580 Classified is model what I like.
No doubt not only now, last two-three years Classified/Lightening models are far better than other, special Fermi Lightening Extreme, Classified.
But I like closed cards.

Last edited:
Uh... sure...

Well, NVIDIA is the one who decide stuff about their own chips. No one can argue with them about it.
If NVIDIA say that all kepler chips will include the stupid turbo boost - they all will
Same goes for a cap of 1.175v on Vcore. MSI Lightning had the option to go even beyond 1.4v but nope, NVIDIA didn't want that to happend so they capped it in later revisions.

Thanks a bunch NVIDIA, for really respecting your AIB's and users.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Uh... sure...

Well, NVIDIA is the one who decide stuff about their own chips. No one can argue with them about it.
If NVIDIA say that all kepler chips will include the stupid turbo boost - they all will
Same goes for a cap of 1.175v on Vcore. MSI Lightning had the option to go even beyond 1.4v but nope, NVIDIA didn't want that to happend so they capped it in later revisions.

Thanks a bunch NVIDIA, for really respecting your AIB's and users.

It's a shame because Kepler is such a good clocking chip... I bet you've seen the results on OCN/[H] threads about it. People getting 1420+ MHz core clock... insane.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You mean 1420+ MHz on AIR cooling???
If someone pull 2100MHz from Kepler Classified GK104 can't be bad overclocker.
It's almost double shaders during overclocking on LN2. Amazing.
I like balance between good OC and double memory on card, double phases and card must be similar to stock.