1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus laptop to feature mainboard mounted RAM, NOT ram slots.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by niko084, Aug 25, 2010.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ordered 5 new Asus laptops, got them in today got the first one setup, went to pull the hard drive to make the image for the other 4 and bang 1 ram slot, remove that stick because I saw what appeared to be ram chips mounted directly to the mainboard, sure enough that's exactly what they are.

So, buy new Asus laptop, warranty expires, one of those ram chips goes bad... Throw it away vs replace it.

Needless to say I'm NOT happy, forwarded my comments to Asus and I'll be returning these immediately.

Warning for anyone thinking about buying an Asus laptop, might want to check that one, it's NOT video card ram it's system ram and NO I'm not mistaken.

Email correspondence-
    To Asus-
    The fact that there is ram directly connected to the mainboard that is not replaceable
    is completely unacceptable. It creates a very serious problem, if that ram happens to
    fail outside of the warranty period a fairly cheap part normally the entire mainboard
    must be replaced, we all know very well that they are not worth replacing.

I bought 5 of these laptops at once figuring that Asus quality would hold over from the
    mainboards which I have been happily using in builds for years.

To me-
    I have checked with the technical product manager on this model. Yes the memory is built into the computer; However there is an extra slot so you can add in another memory stick for up to 2 gigs of memory. If anyfurhter questions or concerns regarding your memory on this model please don't hesitate to ask. thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,
    Trinity Sparks

Got useless, how about I build you a motor for your car that you can't change the oil in without cutting the oil pan off and welding it back on, then re-fill.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    overclocker and Frick say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    My N81vg (see system specs) has replaceable ram. Thank god. Are you sure niko? Asus is not that dumb. What laptop models did you get?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    I understand that you're upset about the fixed system RAM, but shouldn't fixed video RAM cause you the same stress? No PC or laptop has ever had that and no one ever complains about it--it's not like one fails more than the other or gets used more or less than the other.

4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    DEAD sure. It's the P50ij
    I tore the machine all the way down looking for another hidden ram slot, nope, check the numbers on the ram chips, counted them, sure enough 2gb mounted directly, I mean I guess if they go bad I can see what happens if you pry them off the board :laugh:

As for the fixed video ram, generally that's at least attached to a separate video card that is replaceable.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999. Seriously, WTF? :shadedshu

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    yeah, my g73 has ram slots.... weird feature.

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Nothing new, I think I've seen models from every manufacturer with this done, it is a cost saving thing usually seen on cheaper laptops.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    IIRC, Asus released a "Black Peral" model motherboard that had 2GB DDR3 mounted directly to the board. I think it was the P35 chipset.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Me to, but not newer ones. :(

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I can honestly say I have never seen something so incredibly stupid.

Refer to the first post for Asus's response to my email, wow all I can say is I will probably never buy an Asus product again.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I have seen a few as well, but they were cheaper yet, from manufacturers I would expect it from and I haven't seen it in a number of years.

Cost saving, what's a ram socket cost and a board these days??? 80 cents? I'm sure that will hurt their bottom line.

Niko>:nutkick:<Asus

10 Year Member at TPU