1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Launches Essence III Preamplifier, USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    ASUS did a good job with the design of the Essence One and if this new design indeed features those op-amps and a step attenuator it will be very very interesting.

Now all we need is the price!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. 1d10t

1d10t

Thanks Received:
    Welcome aboard to TPU :)
    So Asus decided to dump NE 5532 and switch to AD827.It appears Asus try to address some harsh sound over the previous Essence.
    AD797 :eek:
    One of the rarest and the best opamp out there...is it AD 797 BRZ or AD 797 ANZ?

3. BachAudioDK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you!

Well the AD1955 eval board uses the PDIP version of AD797, so I think it must be the ANZ version. See attached picture.

I think the AD827SQ would be better as I/V converter opamp due to the much faster settling time and larger slewrate (300V/us vs. 20 V/us of AD797 vs. 9V/us of NE5532)

I would say that my personal choice for I/V would be a passiv resistor I/V stage.
    On both my Essence One and Essence STX soundcard I have replaced the I/V opamp with passive resistor I/V with negative current bias to V- so the Vout is centered to approx zero volt. This gives a very pleasant and airy treble in my ears. Very close to my analog LP setup.

I would recommend you to read Nelson PassĀ“s thoughts on using Opamps as I/V converter, vs. discreet I/V.

https://www.passdiy.com/gallery/other/zen-i-v-converter

Im a bit concerned that the Essence III would cost a lot more that I can afford at the moment :eek: and I hate to sell my Essence I to upgrade ;) (you can never get too many amplfiers :roll: )

EvalKitAD1955.jpg

4. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.

5. gungstar

Thanks Received:
    please share details about this mod: photos, parts you used