• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Maximus V Gene Intel Z77 Express LGA 1155

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
If the chip gets damaged, and say, it draws more power after, that invalidates the rest of the reviews used with it. I cannot have that. I've been overclocking since before TPU even existed, so I really want to get back into the extreme things as I have not done very much like that in 3-4 years.

Perfect, couldn't agree more.

Can't wait till you do get to push it to the max!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Perfect, couldn't agree more.

Can't wait till you do get to push it to the max!

I'll be working with memory clocking this weekend. I got many sets to test for a ram review, so that wil lelt me get a good general idea of what's going on, as well as trying out hte other chip(gotta check for a better IMC).

I plan on using this board for some time, I really want to get off of X79 and it's higher power consumption, although the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe I am using now has proven itself as excellent time and again.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
That's a very good question. I do not think that there will be power for the drive that way? So you will need to provide power to it somehow?

eSATA uses one of the SATA 3 Gb/s ports from chipset, so I do not foresee any issues there.

The audio on the Maximus V Gene is awesome. Far better than the Gene-Z. :roll: In every way the Maximus V Gene is an evolution of the Gene-Z.

Don't forget...W1zz is using one for VGA reviews, and I wil leb using this one for memory reviews. That says something. ;)

It says I'm jelly.

There are six internal SATA connectors, with a rather weird arrangement. The bottom red ports are SATA 6 Gb/s, driven by an ASMedia controller, while the other red ports are SATA 3 Gb/s, driven by the Intel Z77 Express PCH. The black ports are also driven by the Intel PCH controller, but are SATA 6 Gb/s

are you sure about the RED ports being 2 6g and 2 3g? because Rog.Asus list em otherwise,

both are 6g

with the black being the 3g

From http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/gene/maximus-v-gene/

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
2 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red
1 x mini-SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *5
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller : *6
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

otherwise great review!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes, I am sure. I made a point of plugging a drive into each port and verifying the connectivity and what controller was used. I do that for every board. I connect my Crucial M4 128 GB SSD to every port, and run HDTune to confirm performance. Black ports at the top are the Intel Z77 PCH SATA 6 Gb/s ports, bottom red is connected to ASMedia 6 Gb/s controller.

If it waas not that way, my Crucial M4 would not have tested at the speeds it did. I actualyl mentioned it becuase i saw that info, and connected my drives according to that info, and found my M4 to be underperforming.

your comment does make me want to re-test though. :p I'll check it out. teh board is physically labelled as described by ASUS.

Last edited:
well i don't wanna continue questioning your methods because i always look forward to your reviews! but it seems to me then that both the Board manual and Asus website are wrong?

this can get messy for me, now i need to open up my case and switch the drives lol.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'll toss the board on my bench right now and check it out. Give me about 20 minutes. :p If I am wrong, I really need to fix it! :roll:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
thanks! i appreciate that:toast:

You are correct, sir, thanks very much for pointing that out. I editted the review accordingly. I guess I must have wired it as normal, and then had to make the switch, and mistakenly wrote it out wrong. I simply play with too muc hardware, but there is no excuse there either. MY fault, and really, thanks very much. Please do question!!!!

120615112901.jpg

Just booting into windows to test and verify right now....(edit)verified. ;) drive is plugged into the bottom black port right this moment, testing at a very even 268 MB/s

m4-m5g.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be working with memory clocking this weekend. I got many sets to test for a ram review, so that wil lelt me get a good general idea of what's going on, as well as trying out hte other chip(gotta check for a better IMC).

I plan on using this board for some time, I really want to get off of X79 and it's higher power consumption, although the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe I am using now has proven itself as excellent time and again.

Great review! :toast:

The M5G + Ivy Bridge are a memory over clocker’s wet dream come true, can’t wait to see your results.

You are correct, sir, thanks very much for pointing that out. I editted the review accordingly. I guess I must have wired it as normal, and then had to make the switch, and mistakenly wrote it out wrong. I simply play with too muc hardware, but there is no excuse there either. MY fault, and really, thanks very much. Please do question!!!!

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47501&stc=1&d=1339781627

Just booting into windows to test and verify right now....(edit)verified. ;) drive is plugged into the bottom black port right this moment, testing at a very even 268 MB/s

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47502&stc=1&d=1339782137

That was quick!

Thanks a lot for your efforts now i can breath easily!:rockout:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
I like my mvg but I would like a mve :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That was quick!

Thanks a lot for your efforts now i can breath easily!:rockout:

Yeha, you know, I don't have any real job, so stuff like this I can deal with quickly. I jsut simply mis-labelled each in the review, no big deal, but misleading, for sure, so again, thank you very much. I just simply changed 6 Gb/s to 3 Gb/s in the review, and all is well now.

Heh. I did say 20 minutes...:laugh:

I like my mvg but I would like a mve :)

Can you explain why? Did I miss something, or does early info have you hoping for more from the Extreme?

System Name "the strong silent type"
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX D3 8GB 1866-899 RipjawsX K2 GSK
Video Card(s) XFX 6950 1GB dualfan
Storage Crucial M4 128GB / Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) LG W2253V
Case CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Howdy tnx great review ;)

I am currently using a very similar setup, (see system details) and i can confirm the middle red sata ports are the sataIII intel chipset powered ones, the ones on the outside are asmedia. The sata configuration screen of the bios only sees my m4 on the sata ports, and denies the existence of any other harddisks, even though they are selectable boot devices and otherwise work fine.

However i have a question as I'm currently running an i5 3570k @4.5 with 1.26v I cant seem to go lower or it gets unstable.

Could you tell me what kind of settings you are using to get that overclock stable, because you seem to be able to clock higher at lower volts. ( I wants )

My temps arent a problem i think, 75 celcius on one core max after a couple of hours of prime 95, and typical gaming they dont go higher then ~50 celcius.

Or is this purely down to the difference between the i7 and the i5

tnx in advance

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The clocks I get are CPU-dependant. With that little SATA thing, I tossed in my other CPU isntead of the one used in the review... It is also not stable at the same clocks and voltages. I set 1.2 V, and then 1.225 V in bios, and 4.6 GHz failed both times. Looks like it's really down to individual CPUs, I do not think the i5/i7 difference is really the telling factor here.

I left the CPU in, as I need to test IMC for memroy review purposes, but it seems this second 3770K is just like your 3750K, if not worse! ;)

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
Better then the Maximus IV Gene-Z? NEVER!

The audio on the Maximus V Gene is awesome. Far better than the Gene-Z. :roll: In every way the Maximus V Gene is an evolution of the Gene-Z.

Don't forget...W1zz is using one for VGA reviews, and I wil leb using this one for memory reviews. That says something. ;)

But the Gene-z still is a very good board, right? :ohwell:

Just kidding. I know it is. Very happy with it and my 2500K. Especially considering I got the board for $160 and the chip for $180. :D

That said, I wouldn't mind having the new board. Although I would still put a 2500K or 2600K in it. I think they are much better values than the Ivy's. :cool:

Oh, and thanks for the review. I love M-ATX boards. :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I have two more mATX product reviews incoming, too, so far. ;)

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
How do you ensure that the SSD's performance is consistent? Every time I bench a M4 performance gets a little worse and takes a good while to come back up.

Audio is promising. Hopefully they start doing that on more boards. What's the audio software like? Similar to their sound cards?

System Name "the strong silent type"
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX D3 8GB 1866-899 RipjawsX K2 GSK
Video Card(s) XFX 6950 1GB dualfan
Storage Crucial M4 128GB / Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) LG W2253V
Case CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
I'm currently using the 75% loadline calibration setting, would the 100% version drastically improve my chances to lower the voltage on the overclock?

Also I must note that I'm using the normal energy saving settings like EIST, the one thing i havent been able to figure out is how to get the voltage to also pace itself when the cpu isnt taxed, like it does when you dont overclock. But i'm guessing thats got to do with the loadlinecalibration overruling that?

At least in cpu-z and AI suite II it just stubornly stays at 1.26v.

Tnx for the info ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
How do you ensure that the SSD's performance is consistent? Every time I bench a M4 performance gets a little worse and takes a good while to come back up.

Audio is promising. Hopefully they start doing that on more boards. What's the audio software like? Similar to their sound cards?

Good question. All SSDs that i have played with experience "performance degredation" from usage.

SO, to offset this, I simply don't use the drives used for testing for anything other than drive testing, and I use a seperate drive for OS installs. The drives used to test were loaded with data, and then only read testing has been done since. I have, as recently as yesterday, connected the drives to my P9X79 Deluxe, and confirmed that the numbers have stayed the same, even though they've been used for about 6 board reviews since then.

Audio performance is outstanding. Comes with the fairly standard onboard X-Fi suite, nothing too exciting.

Last edited:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
Yeha, you know, I don't have any real job, so stuff like this I can deal with quickly. I jsut simply mis-labelled each in the review, no big deal, but misleading, for sure, so again, thank you very much. I just simply changed 6 Gb/s to 3 Gb/s in the review, and all is well now.

Heh. I did say 20 minutes...:laugh:

Can you explain why? Did I miss something, or does early info have you hoping for more from the Extreme?

I just want it no reasons :laugh: but do like the extra pci-e lanes :D

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm currently using the 75% loadline calibration setting, would the 100% version drastically improve my chances to lower the voltage on the overclock?

Also I must note that I'm using the normal energy saving settings like EIST, the one thing i havent been able to figure out is how to get the voltage to also pace itself when the cpu isnt taxed, like it does when you dont overclock. But i'm guessing thats got to do with the loadlinecalibration overruling that?

At least in cpu-z and AI suite II it just stubornly stays at 1.26v.

Tnx for the info ;)

Manual votlage setting is what the issue is. You need to use "Offset Mode" to get the votlage drop when idle.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Audio performance is outstanding. Comes with the fairly standard onboard X-Fi suite, nothing too exciting.

From what I can gather it's a realtek chip with a combo of realtek/asus/creative drivers, which I'm slightly amazed play nice together. Wondering how much is offloaded vs done on the CPU. Would be interesting to see CPU usage compared between this, a standard realtek, and a full on card.

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Tempered Glass White/Black | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
If i had one of those cables, I'd check for ya, but sadly, i do not. I use 3x SSD, 1x mSATA SSD and an optical drive for review testing. I cannot see why it'd be OK to read a disc, but not write..have you run into such an issue before?

i have only used it for format and backup data on my dad's lappy through e-sata bcs it's soo much faster than usb 2.0 :D

cadaveca

My name is Dave
From what I can gather it's a realtek chip with a combo of realtek/asus/creative drivers, which I'm slightly amazed play nice together. Wondering how much is offloaded vs done on the CPU. Would be interesting to see CPU usage compared between this, a standard realtek, and a full on card.

That is nearly impossible to test. the app used to play back audio will also use CPU, so I'd have to use the same version of app, etc....and such CPU usage is so miniscule at this point(<1%) for audio apps that such testing is rather useless. I have checked CPU usage.

I will keep it in mind though, and see if there is some other way other than RMAA for audio testing that can give repeatable results. My main focus here is to ensure that whatever I get as a result, you can as well, while providing real usable data.

AS to the chip used...I really have no idea. I assume it's a realtek unit, but decided to not mention anything in the review as really, does it matter?:laugh: TO me, as long and quality is decent, the chip doesn't matter, as so much more than just the chip itself can affect audio quality. At least half of the boards I have tested in the past 20 months or so used Realtek ACL892 or ACL898, with results quite varied even with the same chip because of circuit design.