• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Maximus V Gene Intel Z77 Express LGA 1155

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
wheres the ln2 section of the review :p

im thinking your cpu might do good on ln2 :D

what batch is it ?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
wheres the ln2 section of the review :p

im thinking your cpu might do good on ln2 :D

what batch is it ?

:roll:

L204B343. I did kinda purposefully pick this one. ;) One local retailer ALWAYS has good Intel chips for extreme cooling. I had QX9650 did 4 ghz on 1.25 V, same retailer, was damn good chip, that one. My i7 870 was pretty damn good too, and I did get a 59-multi SB outta that store as well.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
must be nice i have to play the lotto on mine :p

got back my 6.7 cpu and got 2 more to test then sell sucks reselling almost new cpus :(

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah i did a lot of SB builds for people when that platform launched, let me bin many chips, but htat is not happening with IVB. I got these two, don't really expect more. I will be trying LN2 on it once I've done all these board reviews though. Still months away though.

I have HWBOT profile, but don't have anything to do with ranked scoring, and have not submitted anything for well over 2 years. I might change that soon though, and probably, this MAximus V Gene is gonna be part of that! ;)

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
yeah i didnt spend much on SB it made me money with my 5.9 2500K :laugh:

but one thing i havent tryed and dont really wanna do is use vaseline but it seems its a must with IB and its no CB full pot benching :cool:

i just picked up a 50L dewar and going to see if i can sell my 35L cuz i wont be needed it anymore there going to hook me up at airgas going to pay the same to fill the 50L :pimp:

so have you tryed that lucid mvp ?

edit just got one
3219B207 idk if i even wanna waste my time on it lol

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Costa Rica chips have never been good?

NO Lucid. it is not "perfect", so I cannot use it. Single GPU support only = fail, when I'm a multi-GPU user.

I need to spend more time with a lesser GPU, and MVP, I think. It kinda has a very specific market segment, IMHO, and the fact they have basically said that multi-GPU enthusiasts will not get an update, I thumb my nose at them like they have thumb'd their nose at me.

I couldn't use IntelQuickSync, either, without buying supporting software. Such sillyness is pure marketing for outside business ventures only.

That said, for points and benching...heh...anything goes, as long as you disclose!

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
i havent had luck with them the one i sold 20mmrain was a nice one but didnt have the max clocks i was looking for :( but did pass vantage and 3d11 @ 4.7 1.3v

the one im selling in my thread is okay does 4.3 at stock volts

AFQ

Nice review.

Did you test all the boards with 3770K or the old ones were tested with Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge-E respectively?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Nice review.

Did you test all the boards with 3770K or the old ones were tested with Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge-E respectively?

Older ones are tested with SBee for X79, and SB for P67/Z68. SO you kinda get some paltforms compares as well as the Z77 compare. By the time I've posted all Z77 numbers, I might have to remove a fair bit of the SB numbers, or will have huge graphs with far too many results. The drive results are pretty obscene as it is. :p.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Good review, I'm running the AsRock version of this though P67 chipset, they are worth the investment, great boards, tons of features.

themach1ne

Sorry but I disagree with two things repeatedly mentioned as negative about this board. 1-that it's too expensive...while in your own words its a sick OC'ing board for the enthusiast/gamer with all of the features of a full ATX in a SFF uATX. 2-the mPCIe add-on ability...for one it's a good way to add mSATA btw not to mention its a first for a feature of its kind that gives such a broad range of expandability options. Giving features while still coming in @ under $200 from retailers is worthy of praise in my book. I just ordered one for a new 3770k build and paid ~$175 on Amazon. I was expecting to pay in the mid to high 2s for a board of this caliber but was pleasantly surprised.

Also @LifeOnMars, I have a TT Lanbox VF1000 that I was originally going to throw it in but decided against because of the layout cases like them pose. PSU on top means you can't put a CPU fan worthy of the board's and the likely 3770k (you'll drop in it) ability to OC the <blank> out of. Instead I went with a In-Win BR665 (over their Dragon Slayer case that first caught my attention). I'd suggest doing the same. No way I could have fit the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 hsf I'm using in my build. Like I said, originally was going to reuse a Lanbox (handle is cool and all but hardly a used feature) case but once I decided against I decided to build from scratch. Rest of the components I just ordered...

PSU: Corsair TX650M
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR
Video card: TBD (waiting to see how good Intel's 4000 IGP is as I'm not a gamer)

My $.02

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Price of the board when i reviewed it was $219. At less than $200, you bet it's a great buy.

Do keep in mind I scored it a 9.8.

The mSATA thing...ASUS changed the retention design slightly, and solved the problem with it. My problem wasn't that it's there, but that the retention mechanism wasn't secure with an mSATA drive in place.

you can see the bulging, and the pads beginning to pull off here:

themach1ne

My board just got delivered today. I see what you mean now about the mSATA side of the adapter. What Asus should have done is used softer pads on the both the adapter board side and clip side so that with more give it would actually press and hold better instead of pushing the add-on card and clip itself awkwardly away. Instead, the harder ones are pushing the clip away. At least the pads are removable so the user can replace them if desired.

Btw, I was a little confused why I saw a score of 9.8 but could have sworn I saw only a "Recommended" rating at the bottom instead of the "Editor's Choice" one I see now.

All things considered, great review.

System Name HP h9 Phoenix
Processor i7-3770 (originally AMD FX-8150)
Motherboard Maximus V Gene
Cooling Asetek HP OEM
Memory 16GB DDR3-1333MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7670 1GB
Storage 256GB SSD, 1TB 7200
Power Supply 600W OEM
Mystery Headers

What are the two 8-pin headers between the x16 and x4 slots? They become un-usable with graphics card installed. There are also two 3-pin headers (right of CPU fan and above Thunderbolt headers). Are they for "future use" or maybe factory testing? I NEED to know for no reason at all.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What are the two 8-pin headers between the x16 and x4 slots? They become un-usable with graphics card installed. There are also two 3-pin headers (right of CPU fan and above Thunderbolt headers). Are they for "future use" or maybe factory testing? I NEED to know for no reason at all.

Hrm...I am pretty sure one of the 3-pins are VRM check points(used by factory, can be found on nearly every intel board), but the dual -pin, and the other 3-pin, I am not sure.

Perhaps inquire over at the ASUS ROG forum...;) Might be connector for ASUS 5.25-bay control device.

System Name "the strong silent type"
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX D3 8GB 1866-899 RipjawsX K2 GSK
Video Card(s) XFX 6950 1GB dualfan
Storage Crucial M4 128GB / Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) LG W2253V
Case CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Hi peeps, i would just like to say, that for those of you still using an older Bios version, the newest one (at least i went from 903 to 1204) speeds up the bios part of the startup quite a bit.

My old bios screen came up twice and sometimes hung a bit on the second screen.

Warning however is that you do loose all your settings, so make sure to pen them down as saving em to a usb drive still makes em unusable with a different bios.