• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME (Intel LGA 1150)

Thanks for the review.

ps.: Also thanks for the "Huge amount of options can be overwhelming" line, it made me smile:toast:

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
ASUS always makes best highend motherboards. I am waiting for ton of Z87 ROG love. I love my new job :cool:

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I don't quite understand the desirability of the entire ASUS ROG line. Each one of their models (except maybe this one) have competitors offering comparable feature sets for $40-$80 less. I don't see their software and BIOS as worth that much, especially considering that with Haswell and even with slightly older processors the motherboard is one of the least important factors in overclocking.

I don't quite understand the desirability of the entire ASUS ROG line. Each one of their models (except maybe this one) have competitors offering comparable feature sets for $40-$80 less. I don't see their software and BIOS as worth that much, especially considering that with Haswell and even with slightly older processors the motherboard is one of the least important factors in overclocking.

That's true with this generation, but with previous platforms the ROG series were overall best. The Rampage IV Extreme is to date the best X79 motherboard, for example.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Mouse Logitech G500s

No competition with ITX Impact. No competition with Extreme. Practically no price difference with Gene compared to similar boards.

Only board that seems obviously off is Hero. Too much competition at +200e with cut out ROG features. Gene is better buy.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
motherboard is one of the least important factors in overclocking.

CPU core clocking, sure. Memory clocking? 1000% still about the board/BIOS.

People don't buy motherboards just simply to OC with...probably 50% of the questions I get via PM and email are about running stock.

So, part compatibility, build quality, BIOS, drive controllers, slot layout, power consumed, memory overclocking...all changes form board to board, and these are things that the ASUS ROG line excels at. DO other obards do just as good of a job? Sure. Have I tested them yet? Nope. 12 models of Z87 boards fully tested(not all reviews posted yet), OC'd, and 4 dead now, Maximus VI Extreme has been the best by far.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card

People don't buy motherboards just simply to OC with...probably 50% of the questions I get via PM and email are about running stock.

So, part compatibility, build quality, BIOS, drive controllers, slot layout, power consumed, memory overclocking...all changes form board to board, and these are things that the ASUS ROG line excels at. DO other obards do just as good of a job? Sure. Have I tested them yet? Nope. 12 models of Z87 boards fully tested(not all reviews posted yet), OC'd, and 4 dead now, Maximus VI Extreme has been the best by far.

I am looking forward to those reviews. I am curious to see the comparison.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I am looking forward to those reviews. I am curious to see the comparison.

Most are posted already, so numbers, at least, are already in this very review. Next board to go up will likely be the ECS GANK MACHINE, and then another ASUS product, but I've also got a Crucial memory review that I'll be finishing up this weekend while I run the benchmarks to get numbers for the ECS board.

The Gigabyte Z87-UD3H is reviewed recently is my choice for a "budget" board right now. This ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME is my choice for high-end memory OC/OCing in general.

You found the M6E to be better than the Gigabyte OC? That certainly doesn't correspond to my personal experience with it vs the OC Force at least. I can easily run 4x4GB double-sided Hynix CFR sticks or even 4x8GB MFR at DDR3-3000 C12 with just setting primary timings and volts. The M6E was a pain and I only got it do that once after an entire afternoon of fiddling with Swizzling Bits, MRC Fast Boot, profiles,etc in addition to voltage. It was so frustrating I took it back to the store.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OC Force at least

OC FORCE and X-OC aren't the same. Gigabyte sent me the Sniper5 instead of OC Force.

My X-OC review is HERE

X-OC I reviewed early, and it hated MFRs. I had 2933 MHZ G.Skill ram to run for this platform for testing, but the board didn't like it, and I had to get reviews done.

If anything the regular Z87X OC should be better since Gigabyte is focusing more on it in terms of memory options with the X0 UEFI updates.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If anything the regular Z87X OC should be better since Gigabyte is focusing more on it in terms of memory options with the X0 UEFI updates.

As I said above, I reviewed the X-OC early, and BIOSes were not quite mature enough for me.

I had the MAXIMUS VI and the X-OC both before the platform launched, and the ASUS worked where the X-OC did not. The whole reason that board took a few weeks for me to finish with was BIOS problematic, so I stated in the conclusion:

This board simply does not cater to all users, and it does seem weird to have a board with so many fully sized PCIe x16 slots and no Tri- or Quad-SLI support, leaving me with the nagging impression that it is only half as capable as it could be.

And it got an 8.6 score, which is an OK score, but far from what it could have been, and might be, today. It's been a few months, really, since I played with that board, and it is most definitely possible that BIOS updates would completely change my opinion.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Thanks for the exhaustive review Dave, it was a very interesting read.

I was wondering what Asus had in store for this generation, and have been patiently waiting for your review :) I see they didn't disappoint.

I'm waiting for their RVIE offering hopefully next year, (done with upgrades for the rest of 2013) I still have my MIVE and RIVE boards in use, and the quality of those boards is amazing, and like you said, no other manufacturer beats them in terms of sheer stability, I'm glad to see Asus is still at the top of their game.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Mouse Logitech G500s
Most are posted already, so numbers, at least, are already in this very review. Next board to go up will likely be the ECS GANK MACHINE, and then another ASUS product, but I've also got a Crucial memory review that I'll be finishing up this weekend while I run the benchmarks to get numbers for the ECS board.

The Gigabyte Z87-UD3H is reviewed recently is my choice for a "budget" board right now. This ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME is my choice for high-end memory OC/OCing in general.

One more very interesting product is Maximus VI Impact from Asus. By any chance you going to take a look at it at some point? :)

I am testing/reviewing the Impact, Formula and Extreme now so for me it doesn't matter so much but anyway many people would be interested to hear your thoughts on that board in English (I write my native language).

cadaveca

My name is Dave
One more very interesting product is Maximus VI Impact from Asus. By any chance you going to take a look at it at some point? :)

I am testing/reviewing the Impact, Formula and Extreme now so for me it doesn't matter so much but anyway many people would be interested to hear your thoughts on that board in English (I write my native language).

Yep, I have FORMULA, GENE and IMPACT here, as well as the other mITX the P87I-PRO, the Z87-A, and the SABERTOOTH still to review. And that's just the ASUS boards....:p I have enough boards that if I do one review a week, I'll be busy until next year. :banghead: I need to hire someone. :p

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...
Yep, I have FORMULA, GENE and IMPACT here, as well as the other mITX the P87I-PRO, the Z87-A, and the SABERTOOTH still to review. And that's just the ASUS boards....:p I have enough boards that if I do one review a week, I'll be busy until next year. :banghead: I need to hire someone. :p

So no Z87-Pro, huh? :(

BTW, I don't understand how the audio on the extreme can be inferior to that on the hero. Both have the same codec, but JJ told me that the hero has the least expensive implementation among these ROGs. So how on earth...??? :eek::confused:

System Name Ed-PC
Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus TUF Z690 PLUS Wifi D4
Cooling Noctua NH-14S
Memory Crucial Ballistix DDR4 C16@3600 16GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia MSI 970
Storage Samsung 980, 860evo
Case Lian Li Lancool II mesh Perf
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Software Win10 Pro 64bit

BTW, I don't understand how the audio on the extreme can be inferior to that on the hero. Both have the same codec, but JJ told me that the hero has the least expensive implementation among these ROGs. So how on earth...??? :eek::confused:

If you go to Asus site both hero and extreme don't have the better sound features of other ROG MB , like Formula , with extreme having less audio features , even of hero (has ELNA® premium audio capacitors) .

Formula
Cirrus Logic® CS4398 DAC: 120 dB SNR, -107 dB THD+N (Max. 192 kHz/ 24 -bit)
- TI 6120A2 high fidelity headphone amplifier
- WIMA® film capacitors
- ELNA® premium audio capacitors
- High-fidelity audio OP AMP(s)

While I like many of features of ROG MB, the price always get me . I end up getting something like V Pro which is well rounded , lacks many advanced features but does good enough on features for price point IMO .
Running a P8Z77v Pro now with 3570k , so far seem very good .

Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
If you go to Asus site both hero and extreme don't have the better sound features of other ROG MB , like Formula , with extreme having less audio features , even of hero (has ELNA® premium audio capacitors) .

Formula
Cirrus Logic® CS4398 DAC: 120 dB SNR, -107 dB THD+N (Max. 192 kHz/ 24 -bit)
- TI 6120A2 high fidelity headphone amplifier
- WIMA® film capacitors
- ELNA® premium audio capacitors
- High-fidelity audio OP AMP(s)

While I like many of features of ROG MB, the price always get me . I end up getting something like V Pro which is well rounded , lacks many advanced features but does good enough on features for price point IMO .
Running a P8Z77v Pro now with 3570k , so far seem very good .

Thanks. I never really checked out the Extreme's details that minutely... :laugh: Now I see I haven't missed out much :D
In here the Pro and Hero are priced almost the same, and I just can't seem to make up my mind. (WiFi + BT) or (10K-rated-caps + SLIGHTLY better audio)? :banghead:

Edit: 100th post! Yey! :)

Last edited:
System Name Ed-PC
Cooling Noctua NH-14S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win10 Pro 64bit

Yes, Hero has nice feature vers price factor .
If there was a Z77 one I might of picked that one .

Yes, Hero has nice feature vers price factor .
If there was a Z77 one I might of picked that one .

You quoted the wrong post :p
Anyway, if the Pro and Hero are priced almost the same, would you recommend the Hero then?

System Name Ed-PC
Cooling Noctua NH-14S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
Yes, my bad on post reply .
Ok, looking at features the Pro has one more PCI-e 1x slot so for me that is not enough to not go Hero as it has decent PCI-e support .

I see Asus changed things across models , like my V pro has Wifi support and neither Pro or Hero do .

You have to look at feature here and pick whats important to you .
For me even though I am not hardcore OC, i like many of features of ROG line . I never had one so don't know how much better the audio is for example .
I have no complaints with audio on the P8Z77v pro . you just have to prioritize what features are available per model and pick best for your price point .

Edit: I just noticed the ROG have 8+2 power phases , while the Pro has 12+2 power phases , not sure why that is or even how they compare power and ripple wise .

Last edited:
Ok, looking at features the Pro has one more PCI-e 1x slot so for me that is not enough to not go Hero as it has decent PCI-e support .

I see Asus changed things across models , like my V pro has Wifi support and neither Pro or Hero do .

You have to look at feature here and pick whats important to you .
For me even though I am not hardcore OC, i like many of features of ROG line . I never had one so don't know how much better the audio is for example .
I have no complaints with audio on the P8Z77v pro . you just have to prioritize what features are available per model and pick best for your price point .

The Z87 Pro DOES have wifi & BT. Both are capable in terms of PCIe. Both do SLI. The ONLY difference that matters to me is that the Pro comes with wifi+BT, but the Hero has somewhat better audio and better capacitors.

System Name Ed-PC
Cooling Noctua NH-14S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
Ok, I was looking at V pro , your looking at Z87i Pro .

Yes, I ended up disabling the wifi on my MB anyway , as I don't need it .

Ok, I was looking at V pro , your looking at Z87i Pro .

No. I'm talking about the Asus Z87-Pro --- ATX motherboard.
I don't "need" wifi either, but sure is a nice thing to have anyway.