• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus P6T SE bios update questions.

JSidney

Mother board PT6 SE
Operating system Windows 10

This is my first time trying to do anything like this and I am worried about bricking it.

For my boss I am going to replace a I7 920 with a Xenon X5690 and I need to flash the bios first.

I have the update on my portable computer, it is 0908.ROM

I understand I have to be careful when using it to flash the bios but don't know the best way. I have read some horror stories but was unsure what information is good or not.

What is the safest way to flash the bios so I can change the CPU and how do I do this. I am worried that I will not have all the information I need together when doing this and for when I start up the computer after changing the CPU.

I really have no idea what I am doing.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated, I don't want to brick the bosses computer.

Thanks

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated, I don't want to brick the bosses computer.

The only dangerous thing about motherboard bios updates is they absolutely must not be interupted.

A short circuit or power outage during the update will ruin the machine. Besides that they are pretty much safe, short of you manually rebooting in the middle.

JSidney

The only dangerous thing about motherboard bios updates is they absolutely must not be interupted.

A short circuit or power outage during the update will ruin the machine. Besides that they are pretty much safe, short of you manually rebooting in the middle.

Thanks

I saw there is a thing called EZ Flash 2 from Asus to update the bios. The Asus website is not very clear on how to get it, do you know anything about this or if it works on this particular motherboard?

I figured out how to get into the bios update utility.

It is not showing the contents of the USB drive.

Argh,

Just read that the USB drive has to be under 1 gig. Can you even buy one that small anymore?

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
ASUS EZ Flash is capable of reading NTFS partitions.

There is no need for USB flash drive. Just put the file in the root of your primary hard drive.

Press Alt+F2 at POST to load EZ Flash.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Thanks

I saw there is a thing called EZ Flash 2 from Asus to update the bios. The Asus website is not very clear on how to get it, do you know anything about this or if it works on this particular motherboard?

I figured out how to get into the bios update utility.

It is not showing the contents of the USB drive.

Argh,

Just read that the USB drive has to be under 1 gig. Can you even buy one that small anymore?

You can partition the drive like a hdd

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member

It turns out that might not be entirely true. Let me dig through my YT history for the vid showing a guy pulling the power cord out of his PSU during a flash to see what happened. You can probably guess what you're about to witness. BRB...

Here you go.

You can kinda see where/why it didn't turn out the way he planned. Hint: PSU hold-up time. Looks like the flash was nearly finished before he pulled the plug. Hard to say for sure though. I could be totally wrong about that too. If it's the same board and same BIOS as shown in the beginning of the vid, it wasn't even halfway done flashing.

Anywho...point being...not always the case. Sometimes you might get lucky. ;)

JSidney

ASUS EZ Flash is capable of reading NTFS partitions.

There is no need for USB flash drive. Just put the file in the root of your primary hard drive.

Press Alt+F2 at POST to load EZ Flash.

I am not sure how to find the root. I really do not know much but I have another problem.

I did learn that an older system like this might need a usb drive less than 1 gig and I got one.

When I went to flash the bios I went to the F: drive and saw nothing like what I had loaded onto the USB drive. What I was expecting to see was P6T-SE-0908.ROM

What I saw looked nothing like this, when I put the same drive in my laptop it looked right, I backed out of the bios update utility and got the subject computer back up I also saw what I expected.

Was I supposed to keep this file in a folder?

Last edited:
System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64

JSidney

your motherboard has crashfree bios 3 feature. means if update goes wrong you can still flash it again with usb stick or support DVD (mobo DVD?)

https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/P6T_SE/specifications/ (search crashfree)
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012219/

Thanks

I am trying to look up right now why I didn't see what I was expecting to see on the USB drive when I was in the EZ updater. This is a bit confusing to me.

Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Mouse Logitech G700
Thanks

I am trying to look up right now why I didn't see what I was expecting to see on the USB drive when I was in the EZ updater. This is a bit confusing to me.

EZ flash does not need a usb stick. just put the bios file in C:
If flash goes wrong you need the usb stick since it cant access your HDD anymore

Mouse Logitech G700
Thanks, giving that a try.

I would make a usb stick with bios file just to be sure before flashing the bios if something goes wrong

JSidney

I would make a usb stick with bios file just to be sure before flashing the bios if something goes wrong

I have the bios on a USB stick but it looked wrong to me in the bios updater but looks OK when outside of the updater.

EDIT

It worked, thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of the help. You guys are amazing.

Thank you so much, it worked.

It turns out that might not be entirely true. Let me dig through my YT history for the vid showing a guy pulling the power cord out of his PSU during a flash to see what happened. You can probably guess what you're about to witness. BRB...

Here you go.

You can kinda see where/why it didn't turn out the way he planned. Hint: PSU hold-up time. Looks like the flash was nearly finished before he pulled the plug. Hard to say for sure though. I could be totally wrong about that too. If it's the same board and same BIOS as shown in the beginning of the vid, it wasn't even halfway done flashing.

It worked, thanks for the help.

Is this info at ASUS incorrect?
Did this change. I have not flash/owned an ASUS MB for years.
Just verifying for the OP's sake...

Quote from : [Video] MB EZFlash 2 Last Update : 2018/05/22 16:18

Thanks for the help, the bios is updated.

The bios is updated, tanks a bunch for the help.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Here you go.

I think that falls under a "power outage" type event. Hint: The flash WAS interrupted. ;)