• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P8Z77 V Pro sees only half the RAM

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Is it possible that the CPU could be causing this problem? That I haven't replaced. This is all new hardware so I am a bit frustrated.

Yeah, try reseating your CPU and not tightening it too much.
I'm gonna reseat the CPU sometime next week when I have time off work.
+1: A little late but honestly, I had said this before. This should have been one of the first things you did aside from checking the BIOS and reseating the RAM.

mgtechus

New CPU

I finally got a RMA done and my new CPU arrives today from Intel. I still have the RMA pending on the Corsair RAM and I am curious if the 32mb will work with the new CPU.
My last CPU was made in Costa Rica.

Let you know the outcome.

mgtechus

Cnnot get 32mb to work On ASUSP8Z77-V MB

I finally got a RMA done and my new CPU arrives today from Intel. I still have the RMA pending on the Corsair RAM and I am curious if the 32mb will work with the new CPU.
My last CPU was made in Costa Rica.

Let you know the outcome.

CPU was not the problem. Only thing left is exchanging the memory.:banghead:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
CPU was not the problem. Only thing left is exchanging the memory.

I think it is getting back at you for calling it 32Mb and not 32Gb. :p
Edit: Now I'm confusing myself. Where is this 32Mb coming from?

At least you narrowed it down... but I thought all the sticks worked, just not all together. Now I'm confused. :confused:

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
I am telling you its the pins. Take a photo of the socket and post it. I have tested these boards for a long time. 1 pin out of whack can do it. Please take a photo.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
I had this problem with a couple used x58 motherboards I had and it was the pins on the motherboard that were bent that were causing the problem...

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage PNY CS3140 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
If it's not pins on the motherboard causing it, then just have patience after reporting it to ASUS wait for a new BIOS release that might fix it, or just RMA the board coz its not the CPU or RAM.

Most people that have had this problem recently it's coz of some BIOS fault, and the problem is across all motherboard vendors, I've seen the issue on Intel Genuine Boards, Gigabyte, ASUS, Asrock,.... etc and the problem seems to be solved with a new BIOS release.

Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
If it's not pins on the motherboard causing it, then just have patience after reporting it to ASUS wait for a new BIOS release that might fix it, or just RMA the board coz its not the CPU or RAM.

Most people that have had this problem recently it's coz of some BIOS fault, and the problem is across all motherboard vendors, I've seen the issue on Intel Genuine Boards, Gigabyte, ASUS, Asrock,.... etc and the problem seems to be solved with a new BIOS release.

I had this problem with a couple used x58 motherboards I had and it was the pins on the motherboard that were bent that were causing the problem...

Guess you won't take an easy photo. I don't see why you keep bucking this. I had a Asus Z77 board plus a X58 motherboard and I experienced the same problem and it was 1 tiny bent pin. I just love it when peeps ask for advise, someone asks to take a simple photo and they cannot post it. I tested your board with the old bios and had no problems with it so it is NOT a bios issue. The problem IS NOT ACROSS THE BOARD with all motherboard vendors. I tested probably 15 Z77 boards with NO memory issues BTW. I tested Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI and Biostar. Not 1 memory issue on any of the boards. I tested your board and the Deluxe.....

Help me, help you. If the photo checks out, so be it but you have a few persons suggesting this so prove us wrong so we can help identify the problem. So far you haven't gotten anywhere.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/asus-p8z77-v-deluxe-and-pro/

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Help me, help you. If the photo checks out, so be it but you have a few persons suggesting this so prove us wrong so we can help identify the problem. So far you haven't gotten anywhere.

+1: It doesn't hurt to try. I mean you're quickly running out of options and I wouldn't be trusting ASUS' RMA dept. more than TPU. We've seen second hand here at TPU what can happen to a perfectly good looking board that goes through ASUS RMA. :(

Again, I highly recommend taking a picture. I know that it's a pain since there are 1155 contacts and only 1 is needed to make it go nuts so I'm with drdeathx here. It sounds like a bad contact with the CPU/Mobo unless there is a problem with the memory slot which I seriously doubt.

mgtechus

Guess you won't take an easy photo. I don't see why you keep bucking this. I had a Asus Z77 board plus a X58 motherboard and I experienced the same problem and it was 1 tiny bent pin. I just love it when peeps ask for advise, someone asks to take a simple photo and they cannot post it. I tested your board with the old bios and had no problems with it so it is NOT a bios issue. The problem IS NOT ACROSS THE BOARD with all motherboard vendors. I tested probably 15 Z77 boards with NO memory issues BTW. I tested Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI and Biostar. Not 1 memory issue on any of the boards. I tested your board and the Deluxe.....

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/asus-p8z77-v-deluxe-and-pro/

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/asus_p8z77_0_zps732152b4.jpg

OK I will take a photo today. I had it all apart yesterday and thought about it then.
Remember this is my 2nd board. The last one did have bent pins.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Remember this is my 2nd board. The last one did have bent pins.

Stranger things have happened. I've heard of cases where people have had to send motherboards back multiple times before they get a good one, but it is rare. I have a display that has failed on me 4 times, I'm on my 5th monitor just from RMA alone. (Never buy a HannsG or HannSpree monitor btw.)

mgtechus

Stranger things have happened. I've heard of cases where people have had to send motherboards back multiple times before they get a good one, but it is rare. I have a display that has failed on me 4 times, I'm on my 5th monitor just from RMA alone. (Never buy a HannsG or HannSpree monitor btw.)

I hear ya, Kinda of wish I went with a ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Intel Series 7 MB.
Well I got a RMA from Tiger direct just in case I need to exchange the board.
Now time to take that picture.

mgtechus

You were absolutely right on the bent pins. After taking a magnify glass I did find some bent
http://s1273.beta.photobucket.com/user/Mikel_Gunn/media/IMG_02871_zps9075c983.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
I don't think I can repair these and I am sure this voids the exchange warranty.
I really now think was is causing this problem is the Zalmom 9900 Max fan..
Its very heavy and I am not installing it back on another MB. Any suggestions?

I now have 2 boards with bent pins and ASUS charges $120 to repair them.

This is the last PC I will ever build. Getting too old for this stuff

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y420/Mikel_Gunn/IMG_02871_zps9075c983.jpg

Lyzard

So I finally reseated the CPU and still have the same problem. Completely took my computer apart, cleaned it and rebuilt it. No bent pins on the CPU socket or the DIMM slots. It's still reporting half the RAM after the rebuild. I even tried installing 2 4GB sticks and 2 2GB sticks, 1 of each per channel, and it still reported 6 GB or RAM total.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
back the mounting screws on your cooler off a hair
could be overtight

Processor FX 8150 4.41Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600
Video Card(s) Diamond Multimedia HD7970 3GB
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 32" LED
Case Cooler Master Cosmos (new version)
Audio Device(s) Platronics 777
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition x64
Benchmark Scores Geekbench: 10,136 3DMark 11: P7792
I'm gonna say that you using mixed ram is definitely not helping. look into getting a single matched 16gb kit of memory. they run around $80 at newegg on sale.. memory timings and speeds can do crazy things.

mgtechus

Yeah, try reseating your CPU and not tightening it too much.

+1: A little late but honestly, I had said this before. This should have been one of the first things you did aside from checking the BIOS and reseating the RAM.

I hear ya:mad:

So I sent both MB's off to ASUS and they replaced the 1st one for $120 and the 2nd one for free under warranty. I used the stock Intel processor fan (instead of the Zalmon) and my machine has been stable for 1 week now. I am only over clocking mid range. 32 gig of memory works flawless now. :rockout:
Now I have a spare board and plan to sell it.

back the mounting screws on your cooler off a hair
could be overtight

I forgot, too tight on air cooler can do this too. Good catch

Jackjones79

I am having the similar problem with you and my board is ASUS P8H77-M PRO. Did you finally solved the problem? Asus support is lazy on this issue.

Some other people is also experiencing the same problem here.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-slots-populated-16gb-but-only-registers-8gb/

I have a very strange problem with my ASUS P8Z77 V Pro where it now see's half the memory installed.

I turned my computer on a couple of days ago and the POST said Overclock failed, press F1 to set BIOS... What's weird about that was that my computer wasn't overclocked. I only set the RAM to run at 1600MHz in the BIOS. I built this PC in mid-July and it's been running perfectly fine since then, with all of the RAM usable.

I've tried all of the troubleshooting steps I know since the problem began:
1) I reset the BIOS to the optimized defaults but it still only saw 8 GB of RAM (still dual channel tho)
2) I reseated all of the RAM sticks and tried different combinations. Usually I have 1 of each F3-12800CL9-4GBXL on slot 1 of each channel and 1 of each GSkill F3-17000CL11-4GBXL in slot 2 of each channel. I flipped these but the problem continued. I also tried putting all F3-17000CL11-4GBXL on channel 1 and all 12800CL9-4GBXL on channel 2 and vice-versa but the same thing happened.
3) I cleared the BIOS by unplugging the PC and pulling the battery and letting the computer sit for 15 minutes but when I booted it still only saw 8 GB of RAM
4) I upgraded the BIOS to 0906 to 1610 to see if it would fix the problem but it didn't. I also reset it to the optimized defaults and pulled the battery for 15 minutes with no positive results.
5) I tried each dual channel kit by itself but both of them work fine. Each got through at least 3 passes of Memtest86 4.0a with out any errors. But if I tried will all sticks in the computer MemTest would still only see 8GB of RAM. I also tried booting Ubuntu 12.04 and it also sees only 8GB of RAM.
6) What makes this even weirder is when I boot into Windows, Computer properties says 8GB of RAM (7.46GB usable). I am guessing somehow the iGPU got activated but GPUz doesn't see it and I can't find any options for it under the BIOS. Even under the GPU configuration screen, the only options are Auto, PCIE and PCI. I get no video if I remove my Radeon and plug directly into the motherboard DVI port.
7) CPUz also reports all of the RAM and it can see each stick of RAM under the SPD tab. Windows can't tho and I don't know why. I checked under the DRAM timing controls and both DIMMs on each channel are enabled. Also, the SPD View utility in the BIOS can see all of the RAM sticks.
8) Back in Windows, I even tried the msconfig → boot → advanced options → Use Maximum Memory but that did nothing.

At this point, I have no idea what's wrong with my computer. I am going to try testing each ram stick individually but that will take a while. Unfortunately I don't have another DDR3 computer at the moment to test the RAM on.

If anyone has encountered this problem before, please let me know what other steps I can take to fix it.

Computer Specs:
CPU - Core i5 3570K
MB - ASUS P8Z77 V Pro
RAM - 16 GB (Now only 8GB usable) running at 1600MHz
*-- 2x GSkill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL
*-- 2x GSkill F3-17000CL11-4GBXL
Video - XFX Radeon HD 5770
OS - Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

CPU-z:

Windows:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
looks at thread date
looks at post date ....
this is what search before posting gets us

nib01

I'm IN THE SAME BOAT here as you guys.. I have two different ASUS mobo's (P8Z68 Deluxe & P7P55D-E LX) having only half of RAM detected and it appears usable GB way less compare to the actual available memory. Again, and believe it or not I've done all of recommended troubleshooting here including replacing the boards and swapping RAMs - updating and resetting BIOS, and overclocking.

I would NEVER buy their product again, period.

Last edited:

Mart2

Hello nib01,
I have the same problem, having only 8MB (2x4MB) ram detected instead of 16 (4x4MB), and the IGPU internal graphic card vanished in the same time.
I have a motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V Pro.

Have you found something about it?

Thank you.

bertolomio

Hi,

this post is pretty old but i guess many people will have the same problem when they update to a newer version of the Bios (2104 for the asus P8Z77-V pro)

Basically it happened to me as well and this post did not really help. I spent my Saturday afternoon trying to find the bent pin that would be responsible for this but nothing worked. I re seated the processor many time without success.

But finally i found the problem and the solution. All credit goes to coderush and his very good post from 2012.... You can find it here http://hardforum.com/threads/tools-...-on-asus-p8xxx-boards-fd44editor-ftk.1726429/

The symptom for my system were:
  • Only see 8 Go of Ram instead of 16 Go even if Cpuz saw 16 Gb
  • No more internal video card
  • No more access to overclocking option and CPU ratio locked to 35

What i noticed is that with the new version of the bios i would get a different version of the ME between my bios backup and the bios downloaded from the ASUS website. The ME or management engine is the intel chipset firmware. Turn out it was not update with the flashing of the new bios
I followed the instruction from coderush and after a reboot everything was back to normal.

I hope the poor soul that will find this post will directly click on the link to the hardforum since it will save a lot of time.

Thanks and bow respectfully to coderush!