• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P8Z77-v pro/thunderbolt motherboard, BIOS problem. system wont start

so I'm building my first system and I got as far as the lights and fans turning on... when I turn the system on the fans and lights turn on(as previously stated) and the BOOT_DEVICE_LED turns on as solid red. As well as a single short beep which the manual says means the VGA is detected, quick boot is set to disable, no keyboard detected.

my specs are:

-ASUS P8Z77-v-pro/thunderbolt motherboard

-cool master haf-x case

-intel core i5-3570

-MSI geforce 660 ti PE

-cool master Silent Pro M 1000W

-G.Skill trident X series 16gb(2x8gb) (placed in slots A2 and B2 as the manual suggested)

-western digital 1TB caviar green

-and i can't figure out exactly what my disc drive is

I've looked up some possible solutions one being that my bios is outdated and doesn't support the chip I have set up in my motherboard. I tried doing a USB BIOS flashback but either it didn't work or I was doing it wrong which is very possible. However a lot of the other people who I saw who were having similar problems had the bios working when i turn my system on nothing comes up on the screen (which I have plugged into the DVI)

On the ASUS website on their support page ( http://www.service.asus.com/#!Downloads/c1wax ) I looked at the BIOS updates and one says that it supports new CPUs. and if it is a new BIOS that I need how would I go about doing so?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
normally when a chip is not supported out of the box, you normally have to use a older CPU actually to update the bios

I hope no pins were damaged or burnt.

I would honestly contact Asus and see what they have to say and maybe even put a review on newegg

Last edited: