• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Prime X570-Pro

Black Haru

Staff member
The Prime X570-Pro from ASUS may not have every bell and whistle, but with a powerful VRM, integrated I/O shield, and relatively competitive price, it promises a ticket to the new X570 platform that won't break the bank.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
  • 600 A VRM
3950X wont consume more than 250A under LN2, so I wouldn't consider this a worthwhile point in any way (besides no one will use this board for LN2).
Especially if you consider all X570 mobos are designed to easily accommodate a 16 core.
The upside is that the load is more spread out across individual VRM chips, but so is on every X570 board. Even the "low end" ones

Last edited:
Processor ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 a-pro
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120
Memory 2x16gb 3600mhz cl 16 corsair vengeance lpx
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 WindForce OC
Storage 1x2tb KC3000 & 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, 2 x 2 tb external usb harddrives
Display(s) LG 32GP850, IIyama G2470HSU-B1
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tg
Audio Device(s) Yamaha R-N600A Triangle Esprit Titus Ez
Power Supply Corsair RM850X White
Mouse Logitech G PRO Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion
Software Windows 11 64 bit, Free bitdefender
In the intel setup Z390 what cpu did you used and you did use a rtx 2080?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
This board should have had at least 2 more SATA ports (the X370 Prime Pro has 8, so the 6 here is a downgrade). And having only 8 rear USB ports, despite so much real estate on the IO panel, is also poor form - Asus could've at least included a pair of USB 2 ports for keyboard and mouse.

@Black Haru "At US$249.99, though, I think there are better options for a little more cash" - care to list them?

Good luck going competitive LN2 OC with the tools this board gives you :D

Yeah, because people buying lower-end X570 boards are going to be LN2 overclocking :rolleyes:

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613

It has the same number of SATA and USB ports, and no USB-C front panel header. WiFi is nice and probably worth the extra $10 but nope, not for me.

I'm just so disappointed that we're 2 generations after X370 and somehow fewer SATA and USB ports is considered acceptable. I'm okay with taking away a couple of SATA ports, but at least give us extra rear USB ports in exchange then!

As it stands I'll probably end up buying an X370 board and a second-hand 1st-gen Ryzen until PCIe 4.0 actually means something - for example this has 9 (!) rear USB 3 ports, a rear type-C, a type-C header, and 8 SATA ports... for a mere $140.

OTOH, I can't find any Intel 300-series board with more than 8 rear USB 3 ports... so AMD does have the advantage here.

Black Haru

Staff member
It has the same number of SATA and USB ports, and no USB-C front panel header. WiFi is nice and probably worth the extra $10 but nope, not for me.

I'm just so disappointed that we're 2 generations after X370 and somehow fewer SATA and USB ports is considered acceptable. I'm okay with taking away a couple of SATA ports, but at least give us extra rear USB ports in exchange then!

As it stands I'll probably end up buying an X370 board and a second-hand 1st-gen Ryzen until PCIe 4.0 actually means something - for example this has 9 (!) rear USB 3 ports, a rear type-C, a type-C header, and 8 SATA ports... for a mere $140.

OTOH, I can't find any Intel 300-series board with more than 8 rear USB 3 ports... so AMD does have the advantage here.

I think the reduction in SATA ports has to do with the rise of M.2 drives. With the new Ryzen CPUs and X570 you no longer have M.2 slots and SATA ports sharing lanes, so you can offer SATA/NVMe support on every slot without an additional switch.

With that said, if you actually need those SATA ports, you might wish there were extra ports that did share with the M.2 slots.

Black Haru

Staff member
I would love to hear your thoughts too. It seems to be a very solid board from a cursory look.
It is a solid board, it is just a little bare bones on features at that price. If it was at 220-230, I would give it a recommendation.

It is a solid board, it is just a little bare bones on features at that price. If it was at 220-230, I would give it a recommendation.

What other boards would you recommend ahead of the Prime Pro in the $230-$260 range?

Black Haru

Staff member
What other boards would you recommend ahead of the Prime Pro in the $230-$260 range?

I hesitate to recomend outright boards I haven't actually put on the bench yet (and there are more reviews coming).

With that said, going off spec sheets alone the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi is the exact same price, but has WiFi, three M.2 slots, and heatsinks for all of those M.2 slots as well. (You do only get 2 PCIe x16 slots instead of three)

On the lower end, the ASRock X570 Extreme4 is just $230, has a third M.2 slot (though again at the cost of a third PCIe x16) and two extra SATA Ports.

Finally, there is the aesthetics factor. Liking the way your system looks has value. What designs speak to you, and how much they are worth is highly personal. The ASUS Prime X570-Pro has a very distinct look, and if that appeals to you it could very well be worth your money. So long as you understand all the options and the trade offs you may be making, go with what you like.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
I hesitate to recomend outright boards I haven't actually put on the bench yet (and there are more reviews coming).

Understandable and commendable - waiting for those reviews with bated breath!

On the lower end, the ASRock X570 Extreme4 is just $230, has a third M.2 slot (though again at the cost of a third PCIe x16) and two extra SATA Ports.

Oooh, if only it had a couple more rear USB ports it would be perfect. I had an Z77 Extreme4 and that board was also on a very sweet spot in the price/feature curve, it's a good formula that Asrock has done well to not torpedo.

One very interesting thing I noticed though - this Asus board claims it splits to x8/x8 links on its PCIe 4.0 slots when multiple cards are used, the MSI and Asrock you referenced only seem to support x16/x4.

Also are these X570 boards not backwards-compatible with the original Ryzen CPUs? Every vendor list mentions 2nd and 3rd gen, not 1st gen. Perhaps it's once again a BIOS size limitation? (Although all X570 boards seem to have 32MB BIOS chips.)

The ASUS Prime X570-Pro has a very distinct look, and if that appeals to you it could very well be worth your money.

This I will 100% agree with. I just built a rig for my brother with the X370 version, and it really is a very nice looking board - simple and understated, yet striking.

With that said, going off spec sheets alone the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi is the exact same price, but has WiFi, three M.2 slots, and heatsinks for all of those M.2 slots as well. (You do only get 2 PCIe x16 slots instead of three)

Finally, there is the aesthetics factor. Liking the way your system looks has value. What designs speak to you, and how much they are worth is highly personal. The ASUS Prime X570-Pro has a very distinct look, and if that appeals to you it could very well be worth your money. So long as you understand all the options and the trade offs you may be making, go with what you like.

Thanks for the info!

Black Haru

Staff member
Understandable and commendable - waiting for those reviews with bated breath!

Oooh, if only it had a couple more rear USB ports it would be perfect. I had an Z77 Extreme4 and that board was also on a very sweet spot in the price/feature curve, it's a good formula that Asrock has done well to not torpedo.

One very interesting thing I noticed though - this Asus board claims it splits to x8/x8 links on its PCIe 4.0 slots when multiple cards are used, the MSI and Asrock you referenced only seem to support x16/x4.

Also are these X570 boards not backwards-compatible with the original Ryzen CPUs? Every vendor list mentions 2nd and 3rd gen, not 1st gen. Perhaps it's once again a BIOS size limitation? (Although all X570 boards seem to have 32MB BIOS chips.)

This I will 100% agree with. I just built a rig for my brother with the X370 version, and it really is a very nice looking board - simple and understated, yet striking.

For the PCIe issue, the ASRock and MSI board likely have one x16 slot off the CPU (so in x16 mode) and the other x16 slot off the chipset (so in x4 mode).

The ASUS Prime have the first two x16 slots off the CPU (so x16/x0 or x8/x8) and the third x16 slot off the chipset (on x4 mode).

ASRock and MSI wouldn't want their only two x16 slots to come off the CPU because then your GPU is running in x8 at best if you have any other expansion card in use (while the chipset lanes sit idle)
The tradeoff of course is that these probably don't support multi-GPU setups.

Edit: looks like there is Crossfire support, just no SLI

tshrimp

I looked at that board, and is looks to be missing a very important feature compared to this ASUS board, and that is SLI support. Contrary to popular belief, a majority of games do support it. Do you know of any in this price range that support SLI that we should look at? BTW..l never start out with SLI, but always get the fastest single GPU I can afford, and then add a second card when things get a little slow. Been doing this for many years with no regrets. Never had the issues I read about on some sites.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
I looked at that board, and is looks to be missing a very important feature compared to this ASUS board, and that is SLI support. Contrary to popular belief, a majority of games do support it. Do you know of any in this price range that support SLI that we should look at? BTW..l never start out with SLI, but always get the fastest single GPU I can afford, and then add a second card when things get a little slow. Been doing this for many years with no regrets. Never had the issues I read about on some sites.

SLI is dead, don't waste your time.

tshrimp

SLI is dead, don't waste your time.

Actually I have SLI. People like to say it is "Dead", but that is far from correct. I agree it is best to buy the best single card you can afford, but if you happen to have a GTX1070 and come across on a great deal on another GTX1070 then it will payoff for most.

Example of some games: Far Cry series, Apex Legends, Tomb Raider, The Witcher III, Dirt series, Battlefield Series, Frostpunk, Rainbos Six Siege, Grand Theft Auto V, Dawn of War, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, For Honor, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Civilization VI, Strange Brigade, The Division 1 & 2, PUBG, Fallout 4, Sniper Elete 4, Watch Dogs 2, Ashes of the Singularity, Just Cause 3 & 4, Call of Duty (including Black Ops 4), Prey, Project Cars 2, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Destiny 2, Total War: Warhammer II, Gears of War 4, Metro Exodus, and the list goes on. (Just under 1400 games on the list. Both old and new)

Do all game support it...no. But it is not dead. Heck it doesn't even need a defibrillator. And when it works 2 GTX1070 in SLI typically outperform a RTX2080TI. I still remember the many comments "PC Gaming is Dead", yet here we are still gaming on our computers.

Signing off to go play the latest Madden (2020) that was just released...and yes...it has SLI support too ;).

Edit: Don't want this to derail this topic with the above. But IMO that is a part of "features" on a motherboard, and one that I personally look for over WiFi, etc. Easy to add Wi-Fi or 10Gb nic, but doubt you can add SLI support if you want it.

Last edited:

One-Ball

I Have been using this board for a few months now. I really recommend it ...it's really solid, I am over clocking at 4.5ghz on my ryzen 3700x and running at 3600mhz on my ram. With a couple bios settings being changed. I think some people are just nit picking it. I upgraded from A Msi X470 gaming pro carbon.