• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus RMA=Unacceptable and Appalling

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Still better than my experience with ASUS.

Had a Maximus III, had a few issues like a dead RAM slot, and ethernet ports with 1000ms latency(my ISP is horrible so it didn't really matter, online gaming not allowed :/), after a year and a half of minor issues the board croaked. Chances are it was from my PSU going out months before so I'll let ASUS off the hook for that one, I guess.

Month and a half later I had a new board on my doorstep, boxed up, brand new. It had bent pins on it. I got to ASUS as soon as possible, they responded 2 months later telling me to send it in.

A month later I get an email from an ASUS rep "It will cost $125 to fix the bent pins, our policy not to RMA boards with bent pins as its always customer damage" so I pretty much told them that it came that way back from them and that if they refused to repair it I'd complain to the BBB. They said they'd fix it.

Another month later and I get the same board back. There are a few MORE bent pins and the CPU bracket is half ripped off the board, so that it opens crooked. Later the day it was delivered I got an email that said something like "You should have paid our repair fee, we repair boards with our hands when you don't". Of course at that point the email service cut contact with me completely after I filed for my third RMA. I went on their facebook and asked for help, and my post got deleted. So I sat around with a faulty board for months not sure what to do next.

Around 4, yes 4 months after that I got an email from the ASUS tech again, apparently I had put a typo in the serial number when I filed the RMA, would have been nice to know that sooner, I had emailed about 10 times by then asking for my RMA number, and the status of the RMA I filed only to be ignored. By this point, they agreed to send a shipping label. They never did and I wasn't able to get in contact with them again.

So I went to the BBB, months went by, eventually the case closed and left a mark on ASUS's score. A month after that I got an email from ASUS through the BBB where they said they'd set up an RMA if I gave them the serial number. I sent it along with a thank you for finally getting back to me, and of course never heard from them again. The mark was removed as they had contacted me, but of course the BBB case was closed and they never followed up.

Last month I sold the board for $80, the buyer was able to fix it fortunately, the sad thing is that $80 didn't even cover all the shipping fees for the board going back and forth so many times.

I'm assuming something similar happened here. The ASUS support probably tried to extort a 'repair fee' from the OP, and when he refused 'repaired it by hand' as they put it. Really horrible company, really nasty customer support. I have no clue why so many people love ASUS boards so much. All of my friends who have ASUS boards have some kind of a problem with theirs. My one friend has a few dead RAM slots, my other friend's BIOS resets itself every so often and always has(mine did it about 3 times a year). One friend has an AMD board, one an Intel.

That's totally horrible: especially the underlined :wtf:

My ASUS' boards reset their BIOSes all the time (@ least 3 different boards): was getting really pissed off with that.

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
Asus support SUCK's.

I will never buy anything Asus again.