• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS ROG Chakram Core

pzogel

Reviewer
The ASUS ROG Chakram Core is the wired variant of the regular Chakram with triple connectivity. The Core is lighter and more affordable, yet keeps all the important features of its bigger brother—including PixArt's PAW3335 sensor, a built-in joystick, and hot-swappable main button switches.

Show full review

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
The joystick seems like a Swiftpoint take at it. Then we have the Armoury Crate bloatware, Reflex wash tech with 360 Hz you'll never notice differences at, and $100. There are mice available for $30 that outdo this in software, and performance as well with the 3389. We have the recently reviewed Mountain Makalu too. I guess this is a different, bigger take at things, but call me uninterested.

They still haven't got a clue what real life people need.

I got their Strix Impact II, closest thing to perfect as it may be.

But then they come out with Impact II wireless heavier mouse with better sensor. "head explodes"

It's the other way around ASUS, hardcore gaming, lightweight with better sensor and then the wireless one for people who ... don't care.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I shouldn't have to open the review to found out what the product is. :shadedshu:

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Jesus, I didn't realize Armoury Crate was such a process to uninstall... I have it on my rig, but I don't use it and just stick to the simpler Aura Sync. Looks like I got some uninstalling to do...

Edit: Whew, turns out I don't have it. I do, however, have several programs in Task Manager currently running -- "ArmouryIgoService", "ArmourySocketServer" and "ArmourySwAgent (32 bit)" -- in the background even though I don't have the actual Armoury Crate bloatware. Hmmm....

Last edited:
System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
They still haven't got a clue what real life people need.

I got their Strix Impact II, closest thing to perfect as it may be.

But then they come out with Impact II wireless heavier mouse with better sensor. "head explodes"

It's the other way around ASUS, hardcore gaming, lightweight with better sensor and then the wireless one for people who ... don't care.

Well that's as general as it can be. If it's not wireless I am not even looking at it, man. Makes my desk clean, I can take it places and to be honest I am below average gamer, so a few miliseconds input lag are the least of my problems in an FPS, so what's your point? The last wired mouse I've had was SS KINZU V2 PRO edition. Everything after it is wireless. Even at work I am rocking a cheapo wifi mouse. To each his own, and I know for myself, I ain't going back to a cable. It's just so much more convenient. In fact if JVC decides to release a WiFi version of my current headset HA-RX700, I'd gladly jump on the gun for it.

Last edited:
Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
Wireless is certainly not dropping down on the noticeable performance of your mouse in everyday tasks - granted you buy a good one. I see people on the Internet still talk about wireless mice having "low power" sensors and therefore trying to mean they suck. This simply is wrong because today's wireless mice do come with high end sensors. It was true ages ago, but not now. Not to mention that cable still gets in line and breaks the movement pattern of your mouse sometimes. As for sound, wireless has been a thing there in studios and live stages for who knows how long, in-ear monitors, microphones etc etc... it all comes down on product quality. Makes it more expensive but not necessarily worse. That's why you see so many people doing with wireless on the music they do. I even have a wireless dongle for my guitar.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Aaaand another grossly overpriced gamur mouse. Never knew three letters of an alphabet had such value.

System Name Garbage / Trash
Processor Ryzen 5600X / 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Ti / GB B550M Aorus Pro-P
Cooling Deepcool GTE / ID Cooling SE224XT
Memory Micron 32GB DDR4-3200 E-die @ 3600C16 / Ballistix Elite 16GB 3600C16
Video Card(s) MSI 2060 Super Armor OC / Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
Storage HP EX920 1TB Micron 1100 2TB, Crucial M550 1TB, Hynix P31 1TB
Display(s) Acer XB271HU @ 150Hz x2
Audio Device(s) JBL LSR305 + Topping D50S / iLoud MM + SMSL DO100
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W / G-series 650W
Mouse Logitech G304 x2
Wireless is certainly not dropping down on the noticeable performance of your mouse in everyday tasks - granted you buy a good one. I see people on the Internet still talk about wireless mice having "low power" sensors and therefore trying to mean they suck. This simply is wrong because today's wireless mice do come with high end sensors. It was true ages ago, but not now. Not to mention that cable still gets in line and breaks the movement pattern of your mouse sometimes. As for sound, wireless has been a thing there in studios and live stages for who knows how long, in-ear monitors, microphones etc etc... it all comes down on product quality. Makes it more expensive but not necessarily worse. That's why you see so many people doing with wireless on the music they do. I even have a wireless dongle for my guitar.

I'm still using my G502 from 2014 and my next mice would definitely be wireless.

Like you said, the cable drag alone hurts precision a lot more than whatever millisecs of latency.

Also $100 for a wired mouse, lawls.

ocugh

I am curious about the low click latency. Is this something we can expect from the new Nvidia Reflex mice? Did manufacturers finally realize click latency is important?

Well that's as general as it can be. If it's not wireless I am not even looking at it, man. Makes my desk clean, I can take it places and to be honest I am below average gamer, so a few miliseconds input lag are the least of my problems in an FPS, so what's your point? The last wired mouse I've had was SS KINZU V2 PRO edition. Everything after it is wireless. Even at work I am rocking a cheapo wifi mouse. To each his own, and I know for myself, I ain't going back to a cable. It's just so much more convenient. In fact if JVC decides to release a WiFi version of my current headset HA-RX700, I'd gladly jump on the gun for it.

I am exactly opposite of you. I could go with the clean look, but I am not. In a world where everything is "polluted" with wireless signals, I choose to be as much analogue as I can, at least in my home.

Latency is the least of my worries.

System Name AMDream v2.6.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D+TechN AM4, CO-30 all cores
Motherboard Asus Prime B550-Plus w. PCIe USB 3.0/3.1 case connectors card
Cooling 2x240 slim rads, 1x420mm slim rad, 4xEK Vardar Evo RGB, stock case fans
Memory 2x8GB RGB+2x8GB non-RGB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Reference+Alphacool waterblock+Kryosheet
Storage 2TB SK Hynix Platinum P41+Eluteng NVMe heatsink
Display(s) Xiaomi Mi 2k Gaming Monitor 27” (1440p165 IPS)+VESA arm
Case Lian Li Lancool III White ARGB
Audio Device(s) Creative Inspire P380
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Steelseries Rival original (white), Steelseries Qck+ mousepad
Keyboard Keychron K5 (white backlight, blue Gateron Low Profile switches)
Software Windows 11 Pro
“Asus” and “user-friendly software” are like “vegan” and “eating meat”.
Between armoury crate, aura and ai suite 3, I’ve sweared so much that I nearly threw my motherboard out of the window.
Now, for the RGB part, there’s OpenRGB that works 10times better than aura/armoury crate, and for fan profiles, oh well, I’m losing 40 seconds by restarting to BIOS and edit them there. I only left ai charger, quite useful for fast-charging my phone.

pzogel

Reviewer
I am curious about the low click latency. Is this something we can expect from the new Nvidia Reflex mice? Did manufacturers finally realize click latency is important?
It definitely seems that way, at least going by early reports of results with other mice. The interesting part about the Chakram Core is the fact that despite the ultra-low latency, it doesn't slam-click, unlike ROCCAT mice with ZeroDebounce enabled (for instance).

As of now the technology still appears to be limited, however, as wireless mice cannot be measured. I'm currently trying to determine as to why.

Loved my GX9650 tho it took 10 days ir so to get used to ... then when i went back to it ... was unfamiliar again. But the 2nd one dies after just 2 months and Asus refused RMA because the seller Asus Parts USA was authorized only to sell in areas outside the US.

Their $400 router's network printer ports wont work, but their only response is erase your router configuration and send us three files and THEN we will help you get on the internet. The fact that they are getting emails and responding to emails they send me apparently didn't let their e-mal boy recognize that I had no trouble with the internet.

This box's issues were supposed to get a BIOS fix to fix known issues listed onn their VIP forum... still waiting.

Our last Asus MoBo with Premium support, took 3 months to replace and it was handled by pegatron. Id love something like the GX950 but won't subject myself to Asus Customer support again.