• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS ROG Chakram X

pzogel

Reviewer
Think of any random feature and the right-handed ergonomic ROG Chakram X will likely have it. 8000 Hz polling in wired mode, 2.4 GHz and Bluetooth connectivity, up to 150 hours of battery life, Qi charging, hot-swappable main button switches, an adjustable joystick, 11 programmable buttons, and ASUS's latest 36,000 CPI sensor make the Chakram X one of the most feature-rich gaming mice currently available.

Show full review

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
As usual, da ROG team be partakin of some really, really high grade pharma.... :D

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Too late, just got myself a Mionix Naos Pro on black friday for $30. Have to wrap it and put it under the tree though.

System Name Main
Processor i9-10900kf @4.3Ghz
Motherboard Msi Z490 Unify
Cooling 4x Noctua 140mm + 200mm Noctua, x2 280GTS Xflow + EK : X2 RES 250 Advanced, D5, CPU : Supremacy Evo
Memory 2x8go kfa + 2x8go hyper X @3200 Mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Inno 3D 3070 @Alphacool watercooled
Storage 2xM.2 1to + 256go ssd (os) HDD (seagate) : 1to + 2to cold storage
Display(s) 27" LG 144hz
Case Thermaltake core X5
Audio Device(s) home cinema 5.1.2 : vsx-930 + 5 klipsch100w + 2 jamo bipolar + subwoofer jamo 150w
Power Supply Seasonic 650w gold
Mouse g502
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software W10 x64
still no button on the right side, I dont know why we have 5 fingers per hand :confused:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I like the side joystick, would come in handy to use for freelook.

Last edited:
$160, yikers. even w/ all those fucking (impressive!) features thats a tall order; then again rog tax's been a thing ever since the brand's inception, so.

I like the side joystick, would come in handy to use for freelook.
unless they gave it a major overhaul/upgrade it's all but fucking useless.
i have the chakram core, tried the joystick for about 5 minutes and realised its uselessness of being an afterthought of a gimmick: it can only ever register one direction at a time, and offers no granularity in control at all. it's basically like pressing arrow keys on your fucking mouse. (unless i missed some software options or something, but the physical actuation of the uhm thing didn't suggest it being capable of anything more sophisticated than arrow keys anyways.)

still no button on the right side, I dont know why we have 5 fingers per hand :confused:
Buttons on the right side is not a good idea. Your fingers don't stay in a good position for “precision” clicking, and you would be clicking 'em by mistake all the time, especially if you have a hard grip. It's awkward :p

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
Chaingable mause click butons.
I just solder others in, works.

Arthur_Dent

Armoury Crate is all I needed to read for this to be an absolute "Nope". I have an Asus mobo, and made the mistake of allowing that bloat to install. I'm sick of equipment manufacturers and their garbage software. The only metric you'll get from me is the length of my middle finger

Armoury Crate is all I needed to read for this to be an absolute "Nope". I have an Asus mobo, and made the mistake of allowing that bloat to install. I'm sick of equipment manufacturers and their garbage software. The only metric you'll get from me is the length of my middle finger
i have the chakram core and it's working perfectly fine w/o ever touching fucking armory crate. there just isnt really anything you'd need it for (dpi adjustments and stuff can be done hardware, and openrbg's fully compatible for rbg shenanigans)

there doesn't seem to be that many new features w/ this; ergo it'd work perfectly fine w/o armory crate just asw.

Andrew_C

$160, yikers. even w/ all those fucking (impressive!) features thats a tall order; then again rog tax's been a thing ever since the brand's inception, so.

unless they gave it a major overhaul/upgrade it's all but fucking useless.
i have the chakram core, tried the joystick for about 5 minutes and realised its uselessness of being an afterthought of a gimmick: it can only ever register one direction at a time, and offers no granularity in control at all. it's basically like pressing arrow keys on your fucking mouse. (unless i missed some software options or something, but the physical actuation of the uhm thing didn't suggest it being capable of anything more sophisticated than arrow keys anyways.)
Yes, sounds like you are missing something, you must be using the joystick in 'digital mode', if you switch it to 'analog' the directions are precise (not just 4 directions), plus it senses how far you push (e.g. push to walk in whichever direction, push further to the edge to run in that direction). This is handy while roaming an open map, only need one hand for move and free-look (still may need 2nd hand on the KB sometimes for intense battles tho). There's a guide in the ROG Forum on how to set it up.

interesting. good to know.
(doesnt absolve it from feeling clunky tho - the other downside ive mentioned. it's nowhere near what you'd expect from like, a controller)

Andrew_C

interesting. good to know.
(doesnt absolve it from feeling clunky tho - the other downside ive mentioned. it's nowhere near what you'd expect from like, a controller)
Not sure what you mean by clunky, the size and shape might not be for everyone tho. Don't know how close you can get a mouse to feel like a controller... the Chakram X made the joystick attachment much larger with a concave shape like a controller, and now it's got 4 side buttons in the ABXY layout - pretty much like the right side of a controller.

no, its the actuation itself ... it felt like theres too much uh resistance when you try to move it

anyways, i never considered it more than a silly gimmick and never planned on using it to begin w/
as ive said, whole 5 fucking minutes of trying it

Andrew_C

no, its the actuation itself ... it felt like theres too much uh resistance when you try to move it

anyways, i never considered it more than a silly gimmick and never planned on using it to begin w/
as ive said, whole 5 fucking minutes of trying it
It comes with swappable switches so you can try different types if you're not happy with the actuation, those aren't some random cheap ones - they're Omron, a large % of mice are using them.

I'm not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion and tell everyone else that it's just a gimmick after only using it for 5 minutes and didn't try the analog mode like they promoted. I've found it really useful tbh. I'm not aware of any other mouse which allows me to roam maps this easily using one hand, also so precise with my direction and speed.

thats the left/right button switches tho (which are great, mind you)
completely different from the joystick