• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus ROG GL502 keyboard unresponsive

arogs88

ASUS ROG GL502VM (7th generation) or GL502VMK.
Keyboard is unresponsive , backlight , power button and touchpad works fine.

I bought a gl502vm (7th gen) on ebay, at the very first start it asked me if i wanted to delete the TPM Trusted Platform Module pressing F12.

Then few minutes later while setting up windows 10 the keyboard stopped working, after finishing the set up with the help of the on screen keyboard, i tried to reinstall the drivers, atk package etc.. nothing

The next day keyboard worked by itself at the start, it was all good for the whole day, i did a fresh windows 10 install, updated all the drivers found on asus website, played video games, everything worked perfect

Today, here we go again, keyboard doesn't work, none of the button work, no F keys, no ESC, no Window key nothing, except the power button.
I had set the backlight ON the previous day, so the backlight works, the power button works fine.

I am suspecting a loose connection, i will check that

I will update my findings

edit : can not access the bios at start because F2 doesn't work .

edit2 : it is not a loose connection, i checked and reinstalled the 2 ribbons .
It is odd that the power button works but not the other keys, they all get connected through the larger ribbon .

edit3 : so i have tried a hard reboot without success, updated every drivers,
when i get hands on a usb keyboard i will check if it works and update the bios and see.
apparently few other people experienced the exact same problem, i'm very curious what the issue is.

I updated the bios to the latest version, still nothing.

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Loose connection like you said or drivers fault, if it continues to play up then I would probably send it back and get refund or replacement or repaired under warranty.

arogs88

Yes i will send it back to the seller.
Seems like a motherboard issue.

andresalomao

Hi @arogs88

I have the same problem and everything that you said happens here too.

"Today, here we go again, the keyboard doesn't work, none of the button work, no F keys, no ESC, no Window key nothing, except the power button.
I had set the backlight ON the previous day, so the backlight works, the power button works fine.''

For me this problem started less than 1 year after I've bought the notebook but I couldn't use the warranty because I'm based in UK and my notebook is from US.

You can find the keyboard replacement on eBay but could be the motherboard issue....

denrick

Hi @arogs88

I have the same problem and everything that you said happens here too.

"Today, here we go again, the keyboard doesn't work, none of the button work, no F keys, no ESC, no Window key nothing, except the power button.
I had set the backlight ON the previous day, so the backlight works, the power button works fine.''

For me this problem started less than 1 year after I've bought the notebook but I couldn't use the warranty because I'm based in UK and my notebook is from US.

You can find the keyboard replacement on eBay but could be the motherboard issue....

Have you tried using Keyboard Adjustment Tool?