• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F yellow/green light wont post.

pavel_vanchev

I'm waiting for new RAM to try with it. I have tried another keayboard, but same issue. For the the BIOS version is correct as there is only 1 b550 mini itx board from asus. I tried with 1 stick of RAM and not working, my assumption is that the 3600 timings are not quite fine at this early point and this is the reason. Will update once I have the new set of ram. By the way , is it possible what the BIOS will not update if you already have the same version ? Or it will update regardless the version you have ?

viralhybrid1987

I'm waiting for new RAM to try with it. I have tried another keayboard, but same issue. For the the BIOS version is correct as there is only 1 b550 mini itx board from asus. I tried with 1 stick of RAM and not working, my assumption is that the 3600 timings are not quite fine at this early point and this is the reason. Will update once I have the new set of ram. By the way , is it possible what the BIOS will not update if you already have the same version ? Or it will update regardless the version you have ?
you could always try the beta bios as you def don't have that

pavel_vanchev

I haven't looked if there is currently beta bios for B550-I gaming asus, not sure where to look for i give me the option to download the current latest

pavel_vanchev

I have resolved the issue, it was not the RAM, but the BIOS version. I managed to flash it with taking out all the RAM, video and no power to the CPU and only having the 24 pin mb power connector to then board. Then I have reset the CMOS and tried again to flash the bios and it worked, after this I was able to boot and get in the bios.

I have resolved the issue, it was not the RAM, but the BIOS version. I managed to flash it with taking out all the RAM, video and no power to the CPU and only having the 24 pin mb power connector to then board. Then I have reset the CMOS and tried again to flash the bios and it worked, after this I was able to boot and get in the bios.

It actually makes a lot of sense that the BIOS version is the issue. Having the incorrect microcodes must be stopping the memory controller from working and it comes across as a memory compatibility issue, when it's actually just the wrong BIOS.

I'm noticing that other people are having issues with this Asus BIOS Flashback feature. It would be nice if it just worked properly.

Flow913

I've got the same issue... I updated the BIOS (with the right version, i made the same mistake of dowloading the Wi-Fi version's BIOS instead of the non-WiFi one). But i'm still stuck at the "Green and White leds lid" and nothing on the screen..

Have someone found a solution ? @viralhybrid1987 ?

viralhybrid1987

I've got the same issue... I updated the BIOS (with the right version, i made the same mistake of dowloading the Wi-Fi version's BIOS instead of the non-WiFi one). But i'm still stuck at the "Green and White leds lid" and nothing on the screen..

yup sending back the mobo and asking the gods why they hate me that i now miss the launch of cyberpunk... lol

MK1984

Hi, im in the same situation, with cmos reset, did you just short the two pins while the power was connected? And was it bios 1202? Thanks

nanajohn

I am dealing with the same issue as you described. How I solve my problem?

1. After I update my bios to the latest version(1401), I follow this instruction on Reddit( https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cxvxh5 ). This helped me successfully boot up to bios.
2. Next I update my "PCIe16 Mode" (an option in "Advance" tab ) to GEN 3 because I m using a PCIe 3.0 cable for my GPU. The reason is the mobo PCIe 16 Mode is very retarded, that the default "AUTO" option can not detect PCIe gen 3.

I think this case can also be applied to who else using a non 30 series or the earlier AMD card.

Another case I have heard about is to try HDMI cable instead of DP cable to boot up your bios because this is some firmware bug caused by Nvidia.

Hope this helps. GL

Last edited:

MK1984

My issue turned out to be RAM, my bios flashback attempts to 1401 appeared to work but RAM was still no go. Went to computer shop and it worked with different RAM.

My original RAM was Patriot 4400mhz, either faulty RAM or motherboard didnt like it even though it says it's supported.

donmontana23

Hey , Ive just bought a B550E Strix and have the same issue - It wont start updating my bios when using a FAT32 Drive without cpu etc.

Green led flashes 3 times and stays solid at the 4th.

Have you guys solved you problems yet? I'm a bit scared to turn it off immadiately and risking a bricked board - so im always waiting like 20 mins but the led always stays solid.

lorphex

Hey everyone, just wanted to pop in here and let anyone else who has this problem know the solution I found.
ROG Strix B550-F Gaming wifi
Upgrading from a Ryzen 9 3900X to a 5900X
I was trying the latest BIOS update, which at the time of writing is ver. 1401
However this version is different from the listed VALIDATED version by the list of supported CPUs, which for me and my 5900X is ver. 1004.
Before I realized this I was trying literally everything else I could possibly think of in troubleshooting and I'm honestly really upset that it was this easy.
If you're having this problem, PLEASE TRY THIS.

Edit: I got a process that allowed me to update to the latest BIOS version 1401. Here was my process.
This is for people who got a successful BIOS flash but could not get the PC to post. My LEDs showed white VGA and like a lime/yellow color for boot.
I had every component on my mobo, but the bare minimum plugged into usb.
Mouse, keyboard, HDMI out, and the USB thumb stick.

1. Have only the .cap file on the thumb drive, delete the two folders. Flash BIOS by inserting into the marked BIOS USB. Hold the flashback button until the led flashes 3 times. Wait until it finishes flashing. Mine never went solid while I was troubleshooting.
2. Turn off PSU, unplug power
3. Clear CMOS
4. Plug in power, turn on PSU, boot

I think clearing CMOS after flashing was the difference maker for me.

Last edited:

coolxiangm

I had the same situation. This is my first time to build PC. Everything is connected correctly and seriously, but yellow LED lights up after power on. The green LED lights up after few second. I looked up the motherboard manual, and it saids yellow LED is DRAM, and green LED is boot. After doing several research on the Asus website, it only tells you check the physical connection to ensure the component is clean and fullly plug-in. I want to mention that possibility of this event happens is extremely low because all the components are new, and everyone will definitely pay more attention when install the components. I check several time, and all DRAM are fully plug-in. No matter how many DRAM I plug-in, two led still light up after power on. Long story for short, as many people mention, it is BiOS issue, so download the latest BIOS from ASUS website for B550F gaming. Not WiFi version. Here are some tips you need pay more attention.
Load the that "CAP file" (after rename) into a blank usb, which means that USB only contains that file. If that file is under any folder or with other files, the motherboard will not recognize that file
Do not turn on PC to update BIOS, it won't work. Plug in power cable, the motherboard is actually running, and you can see the asus eye logo is on
Insert USB at BIOS port, and B550F has BIOS flahsback button, so hold it for 3 second to see the green led is blinking through that flashback button.(this led is not boot).
Wait for 3-5 mins until the green led is off, which means BIOS is updated
Turn on Power, you will see screen is POST. Let motherboard run few minutes, you will see yellow led will turn off, but green led (BOOT) is still on. It will off after BIOS is setup and operating system is installed

mtk93

Hi I have the same problem. Same specs: 5600x with B550-F (no wifi).

Everything seems correctly plugged according to the manual.

I don't see the Post BIOS screen. Everything is just black. I tried several updates from the Asus Driver Bios with flash reset.

Blinks 3 times, then many times for about 3 minutes, then no lights. I then try to turn on the pc. Still black screen on monitor....

I plugged the HDMI cable to motherboards HDMI output. Is that correct? Or should I plug it into where the GPU are?

coolxiangm

Hi I have the same problem. Same specs: 5600x with B550-F (no wifi).

Everything seems correctly plugged according to the manual.

I don't see the Post BIOS screen. Everything is just black. I tried several updates from the Asus Driver Bios with flash reset.

Blinks 3 times, then many times for about 3 minutes, then no lights. I then try to turn on the pc. Still black screen on monitor....

I plugged the HDMI cable to motherboards HDMI output. Is that correct? Or should I plug it into where the GPU are?
Hey man. Use your graphic card hdmi output, not motherboard hdmi output

mtk93

Hey man. Use your graphic card hdmi output, not motherboard hdmi output
I've tried that as well. Still Black screen.

Yellow light on the DRAM.

I've even tried to start the pc without the RAM installed, also tried without GPU installed. nothing workes.

I've flipped the CMOS and waited 5 min, try to plug it in. Also not works. Im so lost ...

coolxiangm

I've tried that as well. Still Black screen.

Yellow light on the DRAM.

I've even tried to start the pc without the RAM installed, also tried without GPU installed. nothing workes.

I've flipped the CMOS and waited 5 min, try to plug it in. Also not works. Im so lost ...
are you using a usb which only contains Asus driver file? It is single file which you’ve renamed.. Just only single file! No folders. Then follow this guy video

YaleStank

I'm having same issue with Asus Rog Strix B550-F... I tried all possible fixes suggested in this post but nothing helped. I re-flashed 1602,1216,1212,1004,0805. Don't know how far back I need to go.

Here's the rest of the setup...

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
TridentZ Neo DDR4 8GBx2

The graphics card is still missing from this (VGA white light is on) but I should get at least POST from on board HDMI, right?The green light BOOT light comes on after each flash.

Any other suggestions before I start return process?

EDIT: I installed an old GPU and got the POST. So, do not rely on the onboard HDMI/DP.

Last edited:

ahbs22

Hey everyone! I have the same problem with my rog strix b550 f gaming. The yellow led for dram stays on and doesn't boot pc.

Specs:

Cpu 5800x
Mb rog b550f
Gpu gtx1070
Ram corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200 cl16

I had yellow led on for dram and no POST, so i updated the bios with a USB2 stick.
Now it only boots with rams in slot 3 and 4 or 4only! (I'm counting from cpu to side of the MB, so the one near cpu is number one)

It means that it works only in single channel mode! Actually i had the exact same problem with b450 tomahawk max.
As far as I know the ram is just fine! I even tried two different sticks of ram and it had to be in single channel in order to boot up!

I can work with my pc but it's single channel Dram and i think I'm losing like 10% of performance or something.

I think my cpu is OK as well because i can run programs and stuff. But is there a possibility that cpu is working fine but has problem with DRAM? Cpu pins are ok tho.

I'm going to try these now:

reseating cpu, updating bios to beta versions, placing gpu in another slot, booting single channel dram and then change the order, clearing cmos.

And if none of above works, i think i have to wait for more bios updates???

Hey everyone! I have the same problem with my rog strix b550 f gaming. The yellow led for dram stays on and doesn't boot pc.

Specs:

Cpu 5800x
Mb rog b550f
Gpu gtx1070

I had yellow led on for dram and no POST, so i updated the bios with a USB2 stick.
Now it only boots with rams in slot 3 and 4 or 4only! (I'm counting from cpu to side of the MB, so the one near cpu is number one)

It means that it works only in single channel mode! Actually i had the exact same problem with b450 tomahawk max.
As far as I know the ram is just fine! I even tried two different sticks of ram and it had to be in single channel order to boot up!

I can work with my pc but it's single channel Dram and i think I'm losing like 10% of performance or something.

I think my cpu is OK as well because i can run programs and stuff. But is there a possibility that cpu is working fine but has problem with DRAM? Cpu pins are ok tho.

reseating cpu, updating bios to beta versions, placing gpu in another slot, booting single channel dram and then change the order, reseating cpu, clearing cmos.

So i did everything i could but it still only boots in single channel mode
cpu pins are fine.
What could possibly be the problem?
I mean my mind can't think of any other things right now!

Any help would be a favor.

Btw does this worth the suffering I'm going through? How much performance do i lose in single channel?

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'm having same issue with Asus Rog Strix B550-F... I tried all possible fixes suggested in this post but nothing helped. I re-flashed 1602,1216,1212,1004,0805. Don't know how far back I need to go.

Here's the rest of the setup...

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
TridentZ Neo DDR4 8GBx2

The graphics card is still missing from this (VGA white light is on) but I should get at least POST from on board HDMI, right?The green light BOOT light comes on after each flash.

Any other suggestions before I start return process?

EDIT: I installed an old GPU and got the POST. So, do not rely on the onboard HDMI/DP.
Don't rely on the onboard HDMI/DP when you use a CPU without integrated graphics. :kookoo:

squishybrain

I had the Exact Same Problem:
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
On Power Up the Yellow DRAM LED Lit up and stayed lit.

Reseating the CPU resolved the problem.

I also first swapped out multiple ram sticks with known working ones, with no luck.

I then did a CMOS Clear pin short , and also removed-replaced the battery . No progress.

I then did the USB-BIOS Flashback:
Inserted the Usb Drive with the correctly named ver 1212 Bios in the Bios USB Port
Supply power to the motherboard but do not press the power button.
Press and hold the Bios Flashback button for 3 seconds.
The bios flashback led started flashing green and did this for about 3 minutes before turning off. (speed of flashing varied during this time)
(I may have missed it going solid green for a bit after completion)
Yellow RAM Led still comes on and stayed lit after powering up the board.

I Then Re-Seated the CPU, after which I was able to boot into the Bios Setup screen with F2.

I can confirm that the Bios Flashback procedure above worked as my bios was updated to version 1212.
Thanks so much for your post! I had exactly the same problem and resolution. Reseated my CPU and I was able to boot.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

Specs:

Cpu 5800x
Mb rog b550f
Gpu gtx1070

As far as I know the ram is just fine! I even tried two different sticks of ram and it had to be in single channel in order to boot up!

reseating cpu, updating bios to beta versions, placing gpu in another slot, booting single channel dram and then change the order, clearing cmos.

So i did everything i could but it still only boots in single channel mode
cpu pins are fine.
What could possibly be the problem?
I mean my mind can't think of any other things right now!

Any help would be a favor.

Btw does this worth the suffering I'm going through? How much performance do i lose in single channel?

you're having problems because corsair LPX is garbage, and bad for use with ryzen.

Follow these instructions IN ORDER.

Run one stick, enable XMP, raise SoC voltage to 1.1V and DRAM to 1.4V
restart the system and let it boot up, then shut it down.
Add second stick to dual channel, you should post with no issues. If you have lingering stabilty issues try 1.15 and then 1.2V for SoC (dont jump right to 1.2v, you dont want it that high if you can avoid it)

ahbs22

UPDATE:
hey guys.
I did everything I could but nothing worked for me.
I gave the CPU (3800x) back to the AMD customer service and they gave me a NEW CPU!
the problem was something with the memory controller in the CPU.
it's a shame that AMD manufactured the CPU with flaws but anyways, their customer service is great!