• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F yellow/green light wont post.

viralhybrid1987

Hi everyone! I'm recently returning to building my own PC, its been 10 years, I wouldn't call myself a novice but certainly not an expert, I've read the instructions for all components carefully and believe I have followed everything to a T.
I'm at a loss as to what I can do to continue to troubleshoot this problem, I did get in contact with Asus and was met with a very unhelpful "please refer to the below FAQ and try further troubleshooting" which I had already done before even contacting them (which I had stated in my email to them).

I bought all of these computer components on specials from a variety of places so there isn't "one home" to go directly back to, but I am feeling as though the mobo could be the issue itself.

ANY help would be amazing, go easy on me though as I said... It's been a while since I built a PC and I've never suffered from issues I couldn't troubleshoot before this point.
(checking things are plugged in correctly etc, and hardware is compatible)

Parts List

[[ https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/V7NH2V ]]

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Zalman CNPS20X 61 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Corsair RM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply*

The Problem

Computer will not post
Yellow light // then yellow + Green 4 seconds later. (if I have no RAM in the slot it stays yellow)

What I've done so far!

I checked all power fitting to ensure they are all in tight and correctly (not my first computer build but it has been a few years) and they seem to be in properly. The ROG Strix b550 mobo LED lights up (pretty colors ect) at the VRAM section of the mobo when power is plugged in.

At first, I had the power to the front of the case in the wrong point which I rectified and then computer powered fans but not to bios.

I have checked the Ram in an older computer ((which is currently working)and the older computer's ram in the new PC) and have checked 1 and 2 RAM sticks and have checked the appropriate location for the ram (2nd from left, 4th from left(for 2nd Stick)) to no avail. I have tried without any RAM in and the yellow light just stays on and doesn't go off. (no yellow + green 4 seconds later)

I have pulled out an older GPU (which is currently active and working) and placed it in the new mobo and wasn't able to get it to a load screen (something to note, when the GPU is in the new computer the fans would not run on power-up, I double-checked this and the same thing, I tried both PCI-E ports to test this, as well as a second power supply)

I tried an external SSD as I have read that Yellow + Greens could mean HDD, this made no change.

I also tried to do a BIO update via flashing as the Mobo supports this function.

Version 1202
2020/10/29 19.85 MBytes
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING BIOS 1202
"1. Updated AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 Patch B
2. Improve system performance and stability
3. Improved DRAM compatibility*

The result was it did nothing, I should mention I did this before I had the power button correctly hooked up but I'm of the understanding that it did have power (as LED were lit on the motherboard) and it doesn't require power on to flash the bios)

I SHOULD MENTION this was my novice mistake as I should have checked the power buttons was correct first, so I kinda jumped the gun with this bios flash.
(After reading the manual again I am concerned that the flash was stopped midway, it flashed 3 times then went solid on 4th, it is stated that 5 flashes means it didn't work and it will remain green, but maybe I misunderstand that 3 flashes then one more going solid is in fact 3 flashes and it's now installing bios (which I believe I canceled thinking it was done).

EDIT:
I have done some further work since from this point, I cleared CMOS and tried 4 other USB sticks (I'm not sure I own a USB 2 as is suggested but all are black) all of which followed the same sequence of 3 flashes then 4th solid, I let it go for 10minutes at a time like this with the light never turning off as it suggested it would after flash completes.

I was also informed that leaving the PC to run for 10-15minutes could allow the Ryzen to set up (i left it for 20) this had no change.

I also removed the cooler and checked CPU pins and all looks well there, it slots in by dropping into place and locks of easily.
Should I try another Bios update file? Version 1212 Beta Version
I'm really at a loss, any help would be great, I feel like I'm at the point of just sending Mobo back now?

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Go through all bios's that have agesa updates and in chronological order with the bios flashback feature.
To much?
Le: some updates are not cumulative and require a previous one done beforehand for example my Asus Crosshair VI Extreme.

Tried booting out of the case on mobo box as well, all fittings seem solid. No change.

Throughout this whole process, have you seen the POST screen even once?

I would imagine you're using the Q-Flash feature to update the BIOS. I actually wonder if the Q-Flash process itself is failing and not actually updating the BIOS.

When I got my B550-F I tried Q-Flash to update the BIOS but it just refused to work, and I had to actually update through the BIOS menu itself. Maybe since you have the Ryzen 5600X that isn't supported on the current BIOS version, that might be preventing any POST screen and ruling that option out.

EDIT: Also make sure you're downloading the BIOS updates from the correct motherboard version page. I have a "B550-F Gaming Wifi", and updating BIOS with updates for the "B550-F Gaming" motherboard will not work at all.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'm really at a loss, any help would be great, I feel like I'm at the point of just sending Mobo back now?
Yes, RMA the Motherboard as it appears to be faulty.
Having 5V to power up all the pretty lights is great, if you want a shiny paperweight, but it should at least give 12V to the GPU to power up it's fans.
Does the GPU have a power cable connected to the PSU or does it get all it's power from the PCI-e slot?

cosmicrae76

Hi
I have this board for 2 months now and updated the bios to 1004 which it ran without any issues.
But since bios version 1202 and 1212 beta my pc will only run with 1 stick of 16gb ddr4 ram, both sticks individually no issues, i've even tried all 4 slots and 1 stick perfect, as soon as the 2nd stick is added my system crashes. ive tried optimal bios settings, fresh windows install. 2 sticks of ram problems. my next option is to flashback to bios version 1004 as for 6/7 weeks using this bios and 2 sticks of ram i didnt have any issues, maybe its worth a try too.

viralhybrid1987

Throughout this whole process, have you seen the POST screen even once?

I would imagine you're using the Q-Flash feature to update the BIOS. I actually wonder if the Q-Flash process itself is failing and not actually updating the BIOS.

When I got my B550-F I tried Q-Flash to update the BIOS but it just refused to work, and I had to actually update through the BIOS menu itself. Maybe since you have the Ryzen 5600X that isn't supported on the current BIOS version, that might be preventing any POST screen and ruling that option out.

EDIT: Also make sure you're downloading the BIOS updates from the correct motherboard version page. I have a "B550-F Gaming Wifi", and updating BIOS with updates for the "B550-F Gaming" motherboard will not work at all.

I have not seen a post once sadly.
yeah, I added my serial number for mobo so it has the exact version matching for me automatically, I've tried over 5 USB sticks incase one of them just was the problem. I'm really at a loss. I left them for 10 minutes at a time each, the light would flash 3 times and go solid on the fourth.

Hi
I have this board for 2 months now and updated the bios to 1004 which it ran without any issues.
But since bios version 1202 and 1212 beta my pc will only run with 1 stick of 16gb ddr4 ram, both sticks individually no issues, i've even tried all 4 slots and 1 stick perfect, as soon as the 2nd stick is added my system crashes. ive tried optimal bios settings, fresh windows install. 2 sticks of ram problems. my next option is to flashback to bios version 1004 as for 6/7 weeks using this bios and 2 sticks of ram i didnt have any issues, maybe its worth a try too.
I was trying to boot with just one ram stick as this had been a problem I've heard happening atm yeah. I also know they work in my current PC

Yes, RMA the Motherboard as it appears to be faulty.
Having 5V to power up all the pretty lights is great, if you want a shiny paperweight, but it should at least give 12V to the GPU to power up its fans.
Does the GPU have a power cable connected to the PSU or does it get all it's power from the PCI-e slot?

It's an older GPU but it works currently in my wife's PC it was powered with 12 pins I believe (6x2 I think it was off top of my head) but yeah it's a no-go.
A friend of mine said the mobo may not let the fans spin on the GPU as it's not under load, I don't really know to be honest.

I have not seen a post once sadly.
yeah, I added my serial number for mobo so it has the exact version matching for me automatically, I've tried over 5 USB sticks incase one of them just was the problem. I'm really at a loss. I left them for 10 minutes at a time each, the light would flash 3 times and go solid on the fourth.

I was trying to boot with just one ram stick as this had been a problem I've heard happening atm yeah. I also know they work in my current PC

It's an older GPU but it works currently in my wife's PC it was powered with 12 pins I believe (6x2 I think it was off top of my head) but yeah it's a no-go.
A friend of mine said the mobo may not let the fans spin on the GPU as it's not under load, I don't really know to be honest.

And you used the Bios Renamer?

I can't remember exactly what my board did when I used the BIOS Flashback (not Q-Flash, I'm an idiot) but I thought it was updating when it actually wasn't. I tried a couple of USBs and reformatting but couldn't figure it out, so I just gave up and did it through the BIOS EZ-Flash menu, which incidentally worked just fine.

viralhybrid1987

And you used the Bios Renamer?

I can't remember exactly what my board did when I used the BIOS Flashback (not Q-Flash, I'm an idiot) but I thought it was updating when it actually wasn't. I tried a couple of USBs and reformatting but couldn't figure it out, so I just gave up and did it through the BIOS EZ-Flash menu, which incidentally worked just fine.
yeah, it actually renames the file, and I've checked that that is in fact the correct name which it appears to be. I spoke to tech support and they suggested flashing without a CPU in it so I guess ill give that a shot.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
having just used the BIOS flashback on one of these Asus boards, make sure you follow the instructions

1. unzip the downloaded BIOS to a USB drive formatted to FAT32
2. rename the file, or use the exe tool to rename it
3. insert the USB stick in the specified port, with PC off
4. push the BIOS flashback button for 3 seconds, wait and see

In my case, i had a faulty USB stick (oops) and then on the new stick, i forgot to unzip the BIOS file (i renamed the .zip)

having just used the BIOS flashback on one of these Asus boards, make sure you follow the instructions

In my case, i had a faulty USB stick (oops) and then on the new stick, i forgot to unzip the BIOS file (i renamed the .zip)

Yes, and also make sure that the renamed BIOS file is in the root directory of the USB drive.

Asus mention on their site that if the BIOS Flashback LED flashes for five seconds and turns solid, then the BIOS Flashback process failed:

Q4: If the light flashes for five seconds and turns into a solid light, this means that the BIOS FlashBack™ is not operating properly.
A4: Suggest the following items to confirm the cause:
1. Is the format of the USB flash drive FAT16 / 32 and the BIOS file and name of the motherboard model correct?
2. Re-execute the USB BIOS FlashBack™ operation steps. If the problem still persists, please contact your local ASUS service center.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

viralhybrid1987

yeah, I've done 4 flashes and done all of the above! did yours flash three times then have a working light? (as in on and off ect ect) mine just stayed solid but it was 3 flashes then one more into a solid so 3.5 flashes kinds of? it says 5 is a failed attempt, I left mine for 10-15minutes.

yeah, I've done 4 flashes and done all of the above! did yours flash three times then have a working light? (as in on and off ect ect) mine just stayed solid but it was 3 flashes then one more into a solid so 3.5 flashes kinds of? it says 5 is a failed attempt, I left mine for 10-15minutes.

They say five seconds and then solid is a failed attempt, so that might translate into the three-or-so flashes you're seeing. The fact that it goes solid in such a short time means the BIOS Flashback failed.

The LED should continue flashing for a few minutes if Flashback is working, and the USB stick LED should also be flashing as the BIOS file is being read.

Apparently after a few minutes of flashing, the motherboard LED goes solid when the BIOS update is completed, and then goes out. That's when you're good to go.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
mine did 3 flashes, then a billion rapid flashes as it read from the USB, then maybe 5 minutes later the light went out. I used an antique 128MB USB drive, just because it was on hand.

Radon238

I had the Exact Same Problem:
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
On Power Up the Yellow DRAM LED Lit up and stayed lit.

Reseating the CPU resolved the problem.

I also first swapped out multiple ram sticks with known working ones, with no luck.

I then did a CMOS Clear pin short , and also removed-replaced the battery . No progress.

I then did the USB-BIOS Flashback:
Inserted the Usb Drive with the correctly named ver 1212 Bios in the Bios USB Port
Supply power to the motherboard but do not press the power button.
Press and hold the Bios Flashback button for 3 seconds.
The bios flashback led started flashing green and did this for about 3 minutes before turning off. (speed of flashing varied during this time)
(I may have missed it going solid green for a bit after completion)
Yellow RAM Led still comes on and stayed lit after powering up the board.

I Then Re-Seated the CPU, after which I was able to boot into the Bios Setup screen with F2.

I can confirm that the Bios Flashback procedure above worked as my bios was updated to version 1212.

viralhybrid1987

I had the Exact Same Problem:
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
On Power Up the Yellow DRAM LED Lit up and stayed lit.

Reseating the CPU resolved the problem.

I also first swapped out multiple ram sticks with known working ones, with no luck.

I then did a CMOS Clear pin short , and also removed-replaced the battery . No progress.

I then did the USB-BIOS Flashback:
Inserted the Usb Drive with the correctly named ver 1212 Bios in the Bios USB Port
Supply power to the motherboard but do not press the power button.
Press and hold the Bios Flashback button for 3 seconds.
The bios flashback led started flashing green and did this for about 3 minutes before turning off. (speed of flashing varied during this time)
(I may have missed it going solid green for a bit after completion)
Yellow RAM Led still comes on and stayed lit after powering up the board.

I Then Re-Seated the CPU, after which I was able to boot into the Bios Setup screen with F2.

I can confirm that the Bios Flashback procedure above worked as my bios was updated to version 1212.

I'm going out to buy a USB 2 today hoping that will resolve the issue with mobo not accepting it, It was also suggested I try to flash it without the CPU in, so I may try that as well.
Thanks for the clear response though, between everyone's help so far I have a pretty clear idea of what's meant to happen, fingers crossed now!!

pavel_vanchev

I'm having similar issue, I try to update the bios for my B550-i gaming , but it flashes green few seconds and then stays solid green. I'm with 5900 X, the system boots and I see the screen where it says to press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS, but nothing happens when I'm pressing the keys on my keyboard. I see that on the motherboard a yellow light for the DRAM is on. So I think it maybe not compatible with the RAM, I was using Corsair LPX 2 x 32 GB 3600 Mhz. Currently waiting for new set of modules to try with them. Any ideas ?

viralhybrid1987

I'm having similar issue, I try to update the bios for my B550-i gaming , but it flashes green few seconds and then stays solid green. I'm with 5900 X, the system boots and I see the screen where it says to press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS, but nothing happens when I'm pressing the keys on my keyboard. I see that on the motherboard a yellow light for the DRAM is on. So I think it maybe not compatible with the RAM, I was using Corsair LPX 2 x 32 GB 3600 Mhz. Currently waiting for new set of modules to try with them. Any ideas ?
your booting so a step ahead of me, but if you have another computer you can check memory in you should do that, and try your ram stick/sticks one at a time in the main slot.

Adenosine

Pavel, im having the same problem. B550-F gaming with a 5800X, stuck at the "press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS". Yellow DRAM light is also on. I tried doing a bios flashback with the lastest two versions but it looks like it failed every time. Have you found a solution yet?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

try one stick of ram, in each slot - two of mine work at 3600, two dont. try another keyboard, in the USB port next to the flashback one.

Adenosine

Update: I found the solution. I realized I was using the wrong bios version for the B-550F gaming. There's a wifi and non-wifi version of the mobo and I was using the incorrect version (not sure if there's multiple versions for the B550-i). Once I used the correct and latest bios version (with wifi) it solved the issue and the yellow DRAM light turned off. I also formated the 1GB USB I was using to FAT16 instead of FAT32 as recommended by ASUS.

viralhybrid1987

Update: I found the solution. I realized I was using the wrong bios version for the B-550F gaming. There's a wifi and non-wifi version of the mobo and I was using the incorrect version (not sure if there's multiple versions for the B550-i). Once I used the correct and latest bios version (with wifi) it solved the issue and the yellow DRAM light turned off. I also formated the 1GB USB I was using to FAT16 instead of FAT32 as recommended by ASUS.

ooo i hadn't picked up on the FAT16 i must try that as well. sweet!