• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Rog Strix RX 5700 XT thermals

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Hi,

As I got tired of waiting for a decent midrange offering (or available stock) from either AMD or nvidia, I've just bought an Asus Rog Strix RX 5700 XT. I read the initial bad reviews (except for TPU which was fairly positive), but 1. this was the cheapest model in stock, 2. Asus supposedly corrected their thermal/voltage issues with the 5700 series around January, so I thought I'd give it a go - not to mention Aura sync compatibility with my motherboard which is a secondary factor, but still nice.

Anyway, long story short, my temperatures don't look too great at first glance. I might be just worrying too much, as I haven't owned an AMD card in the last 6-7 years, but better safe than sorry. So, after 30+ minutes of gaming, I get GPU temps of 78-79 °C, hotspot (junction) temp between 90-95 °C and VRAM temp of 94-96 °C. I've read AMD's statement that junction temps of up to 110 degrees are tolerable, but I'm not sure about the VRAM. Part of me tells me that it's the same "junction temp" thing so it's OK, but another part of me thinks something's not right. I get no artefacts or other issues whatsoever. I've also tried undervolting and lowering the power target on the GPU, but that also relaxes the fan curve so temperatures remain the same. I basically have to run a (pretty loud) manual fan curve to keep temps at fairly decent levels.

But as I said - I haven't owned an AMD graphics card in years, so I don't really know what's acceptable nowadays and what isn't. What do you guys think?

(hardware specs are in my profile)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 193596

Hi,

As I got tired of waiting for a decent offering (or available stock) from either AMD or nvidia, I've just bought an Asus Rog Strix RX 5700 XT. I read the initial bad reviews (except for TPU which was fairly positive), but 1. this was the cheapest model in stock, 2. Asus supposedly corrected their thermal/voltage issues with the 5700 series around January, so I thought I'd give it a go - not to mention Aura sync compatibility with my motherboard which is a secondary factor, but still nice.

Anyway, long story short, my temperatures don't look too great at first glance. I might be just worrying too much, as I haven't owned an AMD card in the last 6-7 years, but better safe than sorry. So, after 30+ minutes of gaming, I get GPU temps of 78-79 °C, hotspot (junction) temp between 90-95 °C and VRAM temp of 94-96 °C. I've read AMD's statement that junction temps of up to 110 degrees are tolerable, but I'm not sure about the VRAM. Part of me tells me that it's the same "junction temp" thing so it's OK, but another part says something's not right. I've also tried undervolting and lowering the power target on the GPU, but that also relaxes the fan curve so temperatures remain the same. I basically have to run a (pretty loud) manual fan curve to keep temps at fairly decent levels.

But as I said - I haven't owned an AMD graphics card in years, so I don't really know what's acceptable nowadays and what isn't. What do you guys think?

(hardware specs are in my profile)
wasn't there a "first revision" that had mounting issues with the wrong screws or something?
that lead to insane memory temps.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
wasn't there a "first revision" that had mounting issues with the wrong screws or something?
that lead to insane memory temps.
There was, but I thought Asus got rid of the issue with batches after January. Link

D

Deleted member 193596

but to get to the temperatures.

the GPU is "fine" and quite normal for a 5700XT (not the best but there are worse cards)

the memory is unnecessarily hot but still a few degrees away from dangerous.

Software Windows 10 Pro
but to get to the temperatures.

the GPU is "fine" and quite normal for a 5700XT (not the best but there are worse cards)

the memory is unnecessarily hot but still a few degrees away from dangerous.
Wow! I remember the times when running your Bulldozer CPU at 61 °C was considered bad.

It's funny that I've never worried about VRAM temperatures before - not because they were always OK, but because I've never owned a graphics card that reported memory temps. Weird how a single piece of data in GPU-Z can change one's perspective on hardware monitoring. :ohwell:

Thanks for the reply btw. :) This might be worth a shot, I guess.

D

Deleted member 193596

Wow! I remember the times when running your Bulldozer CPU at 61 °C was considered bad.

It's funny that I've never worried about VRAM temperatures before - not because they were always OK, but because I've never owned a graphics card that reported memory temps. Weird how a single piece of data in GPU-Z can change one's perspective on hardware monitoring. :ohwell:

i'd rather keep the card untouched and have the warranty TBH..

better have worse temps but the ability to RMA instead of better temps and with bad luck a dead card in a month.

Software Windows 10 Pro

better have worse temps but the ability to RMA instead of better temps and with bad luck a dead card in a month.
True. I might do it by the end of the warranty period - if I end up keeping it that long. :ohwell:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard ASUS PRIME X470-PRO
Cooling Scythe SCMG-5100 Mugen 5
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 K2 3200 C14 16GVK F4-3200C14D-16GVK
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Radeon RX 5700XT STRIX Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Gb
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70QQI
Case ZET GAMING Rare M1
Audio Device(s) Microlab H-600(5.1)
Power Supply seasonic focus plus modular (80+gold) 850w
Mouse logitech mx518
Keyboard oklick 320m
Software Windows 10 Pro
oh, you would know how I suffered with this video card, I endured black screens, blue screens, restarting the computer, artifacts in games for a whole year, plus I was lucky with the bonus marriage of the first batch because of this very high memory temperatures, hot spots, RMA I could not use it because I bought a video card in another country and sending it was very expensive, I tried on the YouTube link Husky put nylon washers, it did not help me, the temperatures were still high, I tried undervolting, it also did not help, I am sad and do not know what to do , technical support refuses to tell me the sizes of the necessary screws, they also refuse to send me the necessary screws
FireShot444.jpg

Software Windows 10 Pro
oh, you would know how I suffered with this video card, I endured black screens, blue screens, restarting the computer, artifacts in games for a whole year, plus I was lucky with the bonus marriage of the first batch because of this very high memory temperatures, hot spots, RMA I could not use it because I bought a video card in another country and sending it was very expensive, I tried on the YouTube link Husky put nylon washers, it did not help me, the temperatures were still high, I tried undervolting, it also did not help, I am sad and do not know what to do , technical support refuses to tell me the sizes of the necessary screws, they also refuse to send me the necessary screws
View attachment 178884
Wow! Did this happen before or after you tried the nylon washer fix? Your temps should never spike straight up to max if there is sufficient contact between the heatsink and the GPU die.

Sometimes applying more pressure on the screws can undo the GPU standoffs on the heatsink, eliminating all contact between the heatsink and the GPU. I'd check the standoffs right away, making sure I see no thread between the heatsink and the PCB - that is, the standoffs are in place and holding the heatsink onto the GPU die and not above it.

It also seems like you applied a pretty heavy overclock on both the GPU and VRAM, which I would totally not recommend with any modern graphics card, this one especially. If you check some recent graphics card reviews on youtube from Hardware Unboxed or Gamer's Nexus, you'll see why. Put all your Wattman settings back to default and check your temps again. ;)

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121

It's really not that difficult. There were Gigabyte RX470 cards that got terrible retailer reviews. I found the issue was that Gigabyte was not applying enough thermal paste for the fin array they had gone with for that cooler so most of the thermal paste sat in the ribs of the fins. This made the card that least expensive RX470 cards to buy but doomed it to poor sales. Indeed it is one of the only RX470 or Vega 56 cards that you can still buy new retail. Being that it is so inexpensive I use them in my customer builds as they used to be a consistent $149.99 Canadian which is academic for a ultra budget Gaming rig as anyhting decent (Faster than a Vega 56 or 1070) is at least double that with a premium. I run a MSI Kombustor run to see if the card needs it first though.

Software Windows 10 Pro
It's really not that difficult. There were Gigabyte RX470 cards that got terrible retailer reviews. I found the issue was that Gigabyte was not applying enough thermal paste for the fin array they had gone with for that cooler so most of the thermal paste sat in the ribs of the fins. This made the card that least expensive RX470 cards to buy but doomed it to poor sales. Indeed it is one of the only RX470 or Vega 56 cards that you can still buy new retail. Being that it is so inexpensive I use them in my customer builds as they used to be a consistent $149.99 Canadian which is academic for a ultra budget Gaming rig as anyhting decent (Faster than a Vega 56 or 1070) is at least double that with a premium. I run a MSI Kombustor run to see if the card needs it first though.
It's weird how these tiny mistakes can doom a line of product. It's also weird how these mistakes do not appear to show during QA (or maybe some QA people don't care and just pass anything).

Update on my ROG Strix 5700 XT: I built up the courage to apply 1 mm plastic washers to the two VRM heatsink retention screws and swapped my 3 front case fans to more powerful units (not by much, as I'm a silence freak). Now my GPU temp hovers around 72-74 °C (junction between 90-95 °C) and VRAM between 90-92 °C. Still not great, but acceptable, I guess. :ohwell:

Case ZET GAMING Rare M1
Mouse logitech mx518
Keyboard oklick 320m
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wow! Did this happen before or after you tried the nylon washer fix? Your temps should never spike straight up to max if there is sufficient contact between the heatsink and the GPU die.

Sometimes applying more pressure on the screws can undo the GPU standoffs on the heatsink, eliminating all contact between the heatsink and the GPU. I'd check the standoffs right away, making sure I see no thread between the heatsink and the PCB - that is, the standoffs are in place and holding the heatsink onto the GPU die and not above it.

It also seems like you applied a pretty heavy overclock on both the GPU and VRAM, which I would totally not recommend with any modern graphics card, this one especially. If you check some recent graphics card reviews on youtube from Hardware Unboxed or Gamer's Nexus, you'll see why. Put all your Wattman settings back to default and check your temps again. ;)
the temperatures did not change before and after the washers, I did not notice the difference, when I pressed the board and the radiator, nothing moved, everything was tight, on the screen I only raised the memory frequency, here is another screen where everything is at the stock value. temperatures are also not very good
Stok.jpg

but with power the limit is 175w and low frequency
тест 222.jpg

Software Windows 10 Pro
the temperatures did not change before and after the washers, I did not notice the difference, when I pressed the board and the radiator, nothing moved, everything was tight, on the screen I only raised the memory frequency, here is another screen where everything is at the stock value. temperatures are also not very goodView attachment 178984
but with power the limit is 175w and low frequency
View attachment 178985
Hmm... there's a huge gap between your GPU temp and hotspot temp, which makes me believe that the cooler is not seated properly (which can be the case even if nothing is moving - thanks to the standoffs I mentioned), or there's bits of thermal paste missing. Or maybe your card's cooler is simply defective.

Case ZET GAMING Rare M1
Mouse logitech mx518
Keyboard oklick 320m
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hmm... there's a huge gap between your GPU temp and hotspot temp, which makes me believe that the cooler is not seated properly, or there's bits of thermal paste missing. Or maybe your card's cooler is simply defective.
show your tests 5-10min in FurMark against the background of GPU-Z sensors

Software Windows 10 Pro
show your tests 5-10min in FurMark against the background of GPU-Z sensors
5 minutes of Furmark 1280x720 default, all AMD driver settings on default, 100% power target. Everything is stable, my only problem is the memory temp - which hovers around 90-92 °C in The Witcher 3, so not a big deal I guess.
furmark5min.png

Edit: I see your GPU gets quite a lot of voltage on stock. I wonder why that is. :wtf: What is the BIOS version on your card?

Last edited:
Case ZET GAMING Rare M1
Mouse logitech mx518
Keyboard oklick 320m
Software Windows 10 Pro
5 minutes of Furmark 1280x720 default, all AMD driver settings on default, 100% power target. Everything is stable, my only problem is the memory temp - which hovers around 90-92 °C in The Witcher 3, so not a big deal I guess.
made 1280x720 by default we have almost the same temperature difference, the last BIOS costs
Device Id: 1002 731F
115-D182PI0-100
1280 сток.jpg

we need to get rid of this video card or look for the necessary screws

Software Windows 10 Pro
made 1280x720 by default we have almost the same temperature difference, the last BIOS costs
Device Id: 1002 731F
115-D182PI0-100
View attachment 178998

we need to get rid of this video card or look for the necessary screws
Well, your peak GPU temperature looks similar, but your hotspot spikes straight up to 105 C, which is just a hair away from the limit. As for me, it's a steady increase to about 92-94 C which is still fine. Not to mention your fans spinning at 2700 rpm, while mine barely touches 2000 (that's probably why my VRAM gets so hot).

I agree that this cooler design from ASUS is flawed, but your sudden temperature spike (compared to my steady increase) makes me believe that there is some contact issue between your GPU and the cooler, which could be improved (maybe with the shorter screws, or seating the standoffs properly, or better thermal paste, or something).

I bought mine 3 weeks ago. It would be a waste to get rid of it so soon. Besides, there's literally nothing to buy instead. :roll:

Last edited:
Case ZET GAMING Rare M1
Mouse logitech mx518
Keyboard oklick 320m
Software Windows 10 Pro
I bought mine 3 weeks ago. It would be a waste to get rid of it so soon. Besides, there's literally nothing to buy instead.
can you tell you bought this new card in the store? is she not from the first batch?

Software Windows 10 Pro
can you tell you bought this new card in the store? is she not from the first batch?
I bought it from a store brand new, but I have no clue whether it's from one of the fixed batches or not.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
take it back tell em it's crap and get a refund go buy a sapphire pulse or nitro 5700XT instead

Case ZET GAMING Rare M1
Mouse logitech mx518
Keyboard oklick 320m
Software Windows 10 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Last edited:
Case ZET GAMING Rare M1
Mouse logitech mx518
Keyboard oklick 320m
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yep, it's listed. I guess I've got an old one after lying around the warehouse for quite some time.

my part No: 90YV0D90-M0NA00 on the box and it gets into the first batch

Case ZET GAMING Rare M1
Mouse logitech mx518
Keyboard oklick 320m
Software Windows 10 Pro
only 6 screws are needed, so a person changes them, how would you know the dimensions of these screws?

Software Windows 10 Pro
only 6 screws are needed, so a person changes them, how would you know the dimensions of these screws?
I've read (or heard) it somewhere that regular m.2 screws do the job, though I wouldn't try that.

Besides, I've received an answer from ASUS UK Tech Support. They said that the retailer is responsible for all returns, replacements and repairs, they (ASUS) do not deal with such matters... so back at stage 1. :pimp: