• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Can't POST

Symux

Too late for the original poster, but may help others.

The Asus Sabertooth 990fx revision one boards came out before the Bios was made compatible with the Bulldozer CUPs. For this reason they will not post, and from the author's original post I can tell that was the situation he was in. The cpu light will flick on once, as the board initiates it's original boot test. It then stops everything, and nothing can advance. The new revision two boards don't have this problem, as the bios is already compatible with the fx cpus.

You can identify the revision of your motherboard by looking at the name near the PCI slot. It will say if it is a revision one or two board.

Solution...
- Remove your fx processor, and place in an older cpu that is compatible with the motherboard. (Or take it back to the store and have them do it.) The motherboard will post with a different cpu. Download the latest non-beta bios from Asus and update the bios. I chose to flash my bios, but you can use the Asus utilities to update it if you prefer.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I recently purchased the ASUS 990Fx to get ready for Bulldozer, and low and behold I cannot POST. I get a red light for my CPU , but not for my RAM. I've tried everything from testing each ram stick, plugging in and out my 8pin molex connection, I've unconnected my peripherals (hard drives, bluray player) and still no luck...any suggestions on how I can get past POST?

I have the rig listed ,crosshair V and when i moved from box(cardboard) built, to putting it in a case i had the same issue wouldnt post cpu flashed then either mem led kept flashing or didnt flash, its a memory settings issue, these high end ASUS new uefi bios amd mobos DO NOT cmos reset correctly after a long time unplugged with no battery in and cmos clear shorted i rebooted then out of case and back on cardboard box and with just 1 memory stick to find it posted once more but with original OCd settings still retained tho, it did boot at stock settings with oc settings still there in bios ready to retry, and it was the memory that strangely didnt like a setting it had , i AUOTO'd them all and rebooted , now works fine and its ocd as it was

that wasnt my first attempt i tried to clear cmos many times prior to above but it would not clear them all(mem timings were retained) and all other OC settings are still set in bios ,just that one reboot is then partially cmos cleared, upon another reboot it would then reload OCD settings again (or attempt) and since your not getting a screen up to see thats whats happening like me you just dont see the issue,i didnt realise this:D