• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Sabretooth Z97 Mark one-strange booting behaviour, not booting

Here is another one for the forum. I have a nice little PC here (customer's PC) with an Asus Sabretooth Z97 Mark One motherboard. It won't boot....Well I say that it sort of does sometimes....

From a cold boot, the on button causes it to start up for 4 or 5 seconds fans spinning lights on the NZXT cooler on, then it power down.
Another push of the on button will start it up but nearly every time the CPU light will stay lit and it won't boot, no beeps, nothing on the screen. It just sits there fans going.
Occasionally it WILL actual POST, produce a beep and show the initial BIOS logo/screen with press F2 or DEL to enter setup. Pressing these keys will not get me into the BIOS, instead it then displays "BIOS is updating. "Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure"

This has happened twice, both times after I removed the CMOS battery for 10-15 mins and/or jumpered the clear CMOS jumper, it doesn't happen every time.

I have noticed it does sometimes go through a process of starting up...checking the RAM CPU Video and OS, LED's show this checking progress as they light and go out when booting. So it is doing stuff....

I have tried updating the BIOS, twice using the USB updating method, both times it looked like it worked with the BIOS updating LED flashing progressively faster then going out, as it's supposed to do, it looks like that worked too.

I have tried another CPU in it and tested it's RAM in another PC, the RAM is OK and the problem is the same with the other CPU.

I am out of ideas. Anybody got any ideas for me?
It's a shame as this is still quite a nice PC, the CPU is an i7 4790K 4.00Ghz CPU and its all in a very nice NZXT case with smart white power cables, in its day it would have been a dream machine, two SSD's as well....

I guess the good news is if I turn it off now, it won't be any worse that it is already.

Do the BIOS chips fail on this board? What might be going on here?

**Update, in the space of 20 mins since I typed this, I have reset it, it rebooted and went through a process of trying to boot, powering down checking the bits powering down powering up about 4 or 5 times then back to the "BIOS is updating. "Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure" again where it will sit until I reset/power off. The video card is working too eh?

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
I would say the motherboard is either dying or the bios has been corrupted. And you have tried everything except replacing the bios chip

Processor Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor
Motherboard ASUS ProArt Z790-CREATOR WIFI
Cooling EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6600MHz C32 Memory Kit — Black
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING
Storage Samsung 1TB 990 PRO
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q x2
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Corsair VOID RGB Wireless Premium Gaming Headset
Power Supply Corsair RMi Series RM850i High-Performance ATX Power Supply
Mouse Corsair SCIMITAR RGB Optical MOBA/MMO Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — CHERRY® MX Silent
Software Microsoft Windows 11 PRO
It looks like that there is an issue with the motherboard nor the BIOS chip itself. Continuation of not booting / BIOS corruption after multiple update attempts makes me think about the possibility of BIOS chip failure.

Even if the video below is about a NAS failure, you can use the diagnostics methods he used to figure out the problem ( if you have the proper tools ).

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I wish I had some better input as I used and still have this board in storage. I used the same CPU as well. I know it does have some diagnostic lights on the board(Mem OK) for example tho I'm not sure with this issue you may even be able to use them to troubleshoot considering the issue is actually getting it to post...I do believe it does have a replaceable BIOS chip but I'd have to remove the armour to confirm that(I replaced my BIOS chip on my previous P67 Sabertooth)BIOS chips can be found pretty easily on eBay etc...

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
a speaker is your friend.

one beep *should* be successful POST.
i know 4 beeps albeit an asus H67 board is a dead board.

at least that's what i heard took it back to the shop and it indeed a DOA. - i think asus beep codes are same(?) but the website might have info.

E; btw there are lights by the atx 24pin?

I do believe it does have a replaceable BIOS chip
That's interesting....any more info on replacing these BIOS chips?
a speaker is your friend.

one beep *should* be successful POST.
i know 4 beeps albeit an asus H67 board is a dead board.

at least that's what i heard took it back to the shop and it indeed a DOA. - i think asus beep codes are same(?) but the website might have info.

E; btw there are lights by the atx 24pin?
I occasionally get one beep then the start up graphics then THE BIOS IS UPDATING etc....and its sits there indefinitely.
I also got one long beep and four short beeps too once which means hardware failure...Lights on next to the ATX 24 pin, yes the RAM-OK LED Red if the ram is testing and it goes out, soild red if there is an error and green I think if RAM-OK is working, oh yes and also normally on a failed boot, a RED LED next to the RAM chips, the CPU light, it often stays RED indicating a CPU issue...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Was the battery swapped?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Lga i check pins and battery

Lga i check pins and battery
I did have a good look at the pins in the sockets carefully on both board, they are fine.

Even if the video below is about a NAS failure, you can use the diagnostics methods he used to figure out the problem ( if you have the proper tools ).
WOW, that's proper science, thanks for that very interesting. I don't have the ability or the tools to do that repair sadly. Good stuff though.

Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6600MHz C32 Memory Kit — Black
I just wanted to send the video as reference for testing methodology and BIOS regarding part.

As for ability, since the BIOS chip is socketed and not soldered on that motherboard, you don't have to unsolder/solder.

As for tooling, you can find a simple EEPROM BIOS USB Programmer on Amazon for less than $20.

I just wanted to send the video as reference for testing methodology and BIOS regarding part.

As for ability, since the BIOS chip is socketed and not soldered on that motherboard, you don't have to unsolder/solder.

As for tooling, you can find a simple EEPROM BIOS USB Programmer on Amazon for less than $20.
Interesting that on this board its a socketed BIOS chip. I will need to take off the plastic "armour" to get to it. Not sure how easy that will be. I could possibly buy a pre-programmed one couldn't I.....Perhaps....

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Were you able to set the BIOS to default settings from within the BIOS?

There was another thread on TPU with similar events a while ago. I might have it wrong or mixed with another thread where it was suggested to unplug drives, there wasnt a bad drive, it just caused issues with the motherboard. Maybe try disconnecting everything, maybe even remove the video card, see what happens.

Last edited:
Plastic armour removal should be easy, just be careful for the back metal plate while removing the plastic one. Metal plate is probably secured with the motherboards heatsinks but can't be sure and probably there is thermal pads at VRM area.

You can find un-programmed BIOS chip, but pre-programmed one might be hard. May be you can find if someone is selling already dead motherboard's BIOS chip

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Were you able to set the BIOS to default settings from within the BIOS?

There was another thread on TPU with similar events a while ago. I might have it wrong or mixed with anther thread were it was suggested to unplug drives, there wasnt a bad drive, it just caused issues with the motherboard. Maybe try disconnecting everything, maybe even remove the video card, see what happens.
It was a combo of bad bios flash, PSU and drives.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
Lian Yu/Starling City/Star City (multi-timelines)
System Name The NEW Foundry
Processor Intel Core i9 13900K
Motherboard Asus TUF Z790 Plus D4 WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 (18-22-22-42)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce RTX3080ti 12GB + Intel UHD770
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Boot), Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsung 980 1TB, + Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SATA SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 49" UltraWide 5120x1440@240Hz + Samsung 28" 4K 60Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance-C (2 x 140mm + 6 x 120mm Noctua fans)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro USB Headset + Edifier R1580MB
Power Supply EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Logitech G903 "Lightspeed" Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G915TKL
Software MS Windows 11 Professional
I know that you have tried it, but I had the exact same issue with a Z87 version of this board in a friends machine a couple of years ago. They tried to flash the BIOS via the FlashBack feature & removed the USB drive before it had fully finished updating the onboard RAID controller & Management Engine system. The USB stick had stopped flashing for around 20 minutes or so when they restarted & every boot the "Updating BIOS" message was displayed. I restarted the FlashBack feature again & left it overnight so it fully finished, and the system is still working to this day. Just my experience with this on an almost identical board (just a different "chipset").

I know that you have tried it, but I had the exact same issue with a Z87 version of this board in a friends machine a couple of years ago. They tried to flash the BIOS via the FlashBack feature & removed the USB drive before it had fully finished updating the onboard RAID controller & Management Engine system. The USB stick had stopped flashing for around 20 minutes or so when they restarted & every boot the "Updating BIOS" message was displayed. I restarted the FlashBack feature again & left it overnight so it fully finished, and the system is still working to this day. Just my experience with this on an almost identical board (just a different "chipset").
Hi, That is interesting. I will give it a go before I try to install the new BIOS I just got in the post today. I will have the PC back here on Friday so we will know by Sunday what the score is. I did leave it for probably at least 20 mins if not 40...a couple of times. Certainly not over night anyway. It's worth a go. Also most of the time I just don't see anything, no booting at all, its a major feat to get it to the updating the bios stage. Thanks for the info.

Actually I could do with some tips on getting the plastic armour of the board so I can get to the BIOS chip.. How do you get it off?

Hey, keep us updated. I've got a similar issue with z97 mark II & a Haswell processor. Would love to see if I can get away without doing something similar, with the BIOS chip.

UPDATE...The new BIOS chip didn't help, I get the same issues with it installed, the RED CPU light stays constantly lit and the board still does others strange things when booting up. I am pretty sure the BIOS chips is fine and another flash of it didn't help either but it looked like it worked (from USB). I even changed the PSU.

So that's a shame. After a bit more searching it looks like this isn't an isolated problem with quite a few threads going back to 2013-2015 and people with the same issue. RED CPU light stays lit and no solutions either.

I am almost ready to give up on this board. I am all out of ideas.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus B550-F Gaming WiFi
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 6600 Eagle (de-shrouded)
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2
Display(s) 2 x Asus 1080p 60Hz IPS
Case Antec P101 Silent
Audio Device(s) Ifi Zen DAC V2
Power Supply Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 650W Platinum
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k
Keyboard Akko 3108 V2 (Akko Pink linears)
Hate to confirm bad news, but I had an Asus Z87-C board that died and had similar symptoms. One day while using it the computer just shut off and wouldn't POST again. I had to panic-buy a new motherboard in the middle of my university studies. Anyway I threw every possible troubleshooting solution at it but it flatly refused to get past the red LEDs during POST (despite working CPU, RAM, graphics.....). I ended up just smashing it and throwing it away. Also with my board it wasn't an isolated issue and there's no known fix.

I do currently have an Asus Z97-E board that is still working, but who knows if that will die at some point as well.

Thanks Asus.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Cpu or mobo at this rate

Get over to a shop and have both tested instead of shotgunning parts.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD