1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS SLI A8N Memory Question

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by TripleDesi, Jan 22, 2010.

1. TripleDesi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 2GB on my machine. 2 sticks 1GB each. So I want to put 2 more sticks.

I went to www.crucial.com and it told me I should "get DDR 3200 or DDR 2700 and since these are backward compatible I can get them even if my motherboard manual says to use DDR 1600".

To which I have to say..."Huh?"

I don't have my motherboard manual. I just need to know that as long as I use the same speed on the two new sticks I'll be okay? Or I have to use the same speed as the ones I have now? How do I tell?

Also it says I can use ECC or NonECC RAM, but no to mix. How do I know if I have ECC or NonECC RAM now?

I was hoping there was some memory diagnostic tool that would answer this question for me. That or someone else here who has the same motherboard and can just tell me what to get without having to go over my existing sticks with a microscope.

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

2. Zebeon

Thanks Received:
    FYI-
    You should fill out your system specs to make it easier for people to help-

Use cpuz to tell ya all out your memory.

Also, that is an 939 board correct... I have the same board.

I bet you have nonECC.... (error correcting/checking) I think....... (don't want to mix the types.... ECC is typically for a server.)

Correct me if I am wrong guys.... But

If you add a different speed ram, it will only run as fast as the slowest stick....

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Standard disclaimer. PC3200/PC2700 will definately run PC1600, as it's alot slower speed.

You cannot just get sticks of the same speed and timings, and expect 100% compatibility. For example, timings between single-sided and double-sided 1GB sticks are not exactly the same, and may not work well together.

Your best option is to buy the exact same ram, with the same revision. This may take some digging to find, as that board is out of date at the moment..I've got one of those too...was the first board that they showed Crossfire working on!

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    I guess you haven't looked here for your manual. ;)

As for seeing your system settings you can use CPUz; be sure to get OS appropriate version (32 or 64 bit).

As for your RAM issue, the RAM will only run as fast as the slowest stick. Meaning if you mix PC2700 RAM with PC3200 RAM, all of the RAM will run @ PC2700 speeds.

Regarding ECC and non ECC, typically you can run these side by side as as soon as the computer notices that there are non ECC sticks, all of the ECC is shut down. However, there could be some strange compatibility issues and that is usually why it is not recommended to run them simultaneously.

To see if you've got ECC or non ECC ram, other than using CPUz, there's a sticker on the sticks themselves that will say whether they are ECC or non ECC.

You're right. :toast:
    This.

5. TripleDesi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's the info from CpuZ

So it tells me I can have max of DDR 4000. It also takes me the make. But it doesn't tell me what DDR XXXX I have now and whether it is ECC / Non ECC. Unless I'm missing something...

Can someone please clarify

Attached Files:

6. KieX

Thanks Received:
    According to that you have 250MHz (PC4000) RAM non ECC (as indicated by the SPD). Although it is running at system default speeds of 200MHz (PC1600).

7. TripleDesi New Member

Thanks Received:
    PC XXXX to Frequency

How did u deduce all that??? how did u corelate Mhz to xxxx in pc xxxx?

:banghead:

8. KieX

Thanks Received:
    The first image shows your actual speed. 200MHz (DDR-400 aka PC3200).

The second image shows you the embedded information of the memory. The top half section gives you the manufacturer (G.Skill) and type of memory (PC4000 with no correction/ECC, unbuffered, unregistred). The bottom half section shows you rated speeds it can run at.

Although incomplete, the first table on this wikipedia entry correlates speeds, DDR number and PC-XXXX number.

9. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Also, keep in mind that CPUz only shows the speed in SD and not DDR. DDR= dual data rate, so in essence you must double the posted frequency to get the actual speed.

10. TripleDesi New Member

Thanks Received:
    So 1600 times 2?

Which would mean I need PC3200 correct? Because that's in line with what the Crucial.com analysis told me. Thing is one of my generous friends has a 1GB stick of the same and I just verified it is unbuffered and non-ecc. So I just need to save 40GB to get another 1GB stick.

Hope I'm right.

11. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Yup, correct. 40GB? Did you mean 40GBP as in £40? If so you might want to look here because you can get 1GB for about £23:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/Memory/DDR-PC3200-(400Mhz)

12. TripleDesi New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, no, sorry. Printing mistake ;)

I meant $40. I'm in the States. But my recent trials and tribulations documented elsewhere on the boards indicate my Motherboard/CPU are living on borrowed time unless I start doing what for me is major surgery on them. So I'm just going to hold off on the expenditure.

KieX says thanks.