• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Tuf Gaming B550m vs Msi Mag B550m Mortar

Guys which one is better in terms of vrm performance? They're about the same price in my country. I'm thinking of pairing it with a ryzen 5 5600x.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
Both can easily handle any Ryzen cpu this really just comes down to the other features the boards offer and which ones are important to you.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
I have the B550M TUF with AX wifi and it's great. For most respects, I'm sure the B550 Mortar would have been similarly excellent, but the clear CMOS header is in such a place (buried underneath the graphics card) that it just wasn't a real contender for me.

The Mortar has the slightly better VRM on paper, but the Asus has excellent spacing in between the power stages so thermally they're the same. Not that VRM performance is even remotely a problem, both are comfy even with a 3950X.

That's the only thing, really. That, and if you really care about having a front USB-C, only the Mortar has one.

I have the B550M TUF with AX wifi and it's great. For most respects, I'm sure the B550 Mortar would have been similarly excellent, but the clear CMOS header is in such a place (buried underneath the graphics card) that it just wasn't a real contender for me.

That's the only thing, really. That, and if you really care about having a front USB-C, only the Mortar has one.
Thanks for replying. Front usb c as in on the case? I dont think my case has a usb port type c on the front.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Thanks for replying. Front usb c as in on the case? I dont think my case has a usb port type c on the front.

Yeah, then you don't really stand to lose out on much with the Asus board. Unlike some higher end boards, the Mortar's USB-C header is also 5Gbps USB 3.0 bandwidth, not 10Gbps USB 3.2Gen2 bandwidth.

The x16 slot on the Asus is the second position down, whereas the x16 on the MSI is a slot higher. Personal preference really, I prefer the Asus for better clearance with my large coolers (Dark Rock Pro 4) and downdraft coolers (C14S). But you might have a case where the Asus places your graphics card a little too close to the bottom of the case, so it's your call.

If you care about the placement of the CMOS header (if you care about doing some CPU or RAM overclocking down the road), then get the TUF, because the Mortar will have you removing your graphics card every time you need to clear your BIOS. If you don't think you'll ever need access to the two-pin CMOS jumper, then get whichever is the cheaper board.

Yeah, then you don't really stand to lose out on much with the Asus board. Unlike some higher end boards, the Mortar's USB-C header is also 5Gbps USB 3.0 bandwidth, not 10Gbps USB 3.2Gen2 bandwidth.

The x16 slot on the Asus is the second position down, whereas the x16 on the MSI is a slot higher. Personal preference really, I prefer the Asus for better clearance with my large coolers (Dark Rock Pro 4) and downdraft coolers (C14S). But you might have a case where the Asus places your graphics card a little too close to the bottom of the case, so it's your call.

If you care about the placement of the CMOS header (if you care about doing some CPU or RAM overclocking down the road), then get the TUF, because the Mortar will have you removing your graphics card every time you need to clear your BIOS. If you don't think you'll ever need access to the two-pin CMOS jumper, then get whichever is the cheaper board.
Alright thank you, I will go for the asus tuf then.

You may also want to look into Gigabyte B550M Aorus PRO-P motherboard. This model came out a little later than the original wave of B550 boards, so no one reviewed it yet. However, it seems to have similar VRAM components to the Asus. It's $30 cheaper than the Asus and MSI.
According to reviews (Hardware Unboxed), the Mortar runs the coolest of all mATX boards. I got the Mortar and quite happy with it. MSI is definitely releasing BIOS updates quickly so far. I am using it with Ryzen 5 3600, but plan to upgrade the CPU to series 5000 down the road. One thing I did not like about the Asus was that they put the M.2 heatsink over the slower secondary slot, instead of the main slot, which runs faster.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
You may also want to look into Gigabyte B550M Aorus PRO-P motherboard. This model came out a little later than the original wave of B550 boards, so no one reviewed it yet. However, it seems to have similar VRAM components to the Asus. It's $30 cheaper than the Asus and MSI.
According to reviews (Hardware Unboxed), the Mortar runs the coolest of all mATX boards. I got the Mortar and quite happy with it. MSI is definitely releasing BIOS updates quickly so far. I am using it with Ryzen 5 3600, but plan to upgrade the CPU to series 5000 down the road. One thing I did not like about the Asus was that they put the M.2 heatsink over the slower secondary slot, instead of the main slot, which runs faster.

The currently released PCIe 4.0 SSDs except for the 980 Pro come with their own heatsinks, because they like to run hot. In that sense, it makes sense to not have a heatsink on the one 4.0 slot, to avoid interfering with most 4.0 drives. There's no issue with using the heatsinked secondary slot if you don't have a 4.0 drive, it's still 3.0x4 and works as expected.

umanpixel

The Mortar has the slightly better VRM on paper, but the Asus has excellent spacing in between the power stages so thermally they're the same. Not that VRM performance is even remotely a problem, both are comfy even with a 3950X.

Hey!
I'm really struggling to pick between these two as well. Especially since this will be my first time building my own PC.
My system has a 3700x and a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT.

I was going to go for the Asus TUF, but I'm not sure the GPU will fit that great.
Can you give me an opinion on that?
Thanks in advance

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Hey!
I'm really struggling to pick between these two as well. Especially since this will be my first time building my own PC.
My system has a 3700x and a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT.

I was going to go for the Asus TUF, but I'm not sure the GPU will fit that great.
Can you give me an opinion on that?
Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you mean. The Asus' x16 slot is just one position lower than the Mortar. Neither board will allow you to fit a longer/wider/larger GPU than you would be able to on any other board.

The only consideration is that if your case doesn't have a lot of space below the board (e.g. case has strictly 4 PCIe slots, has a power supply shroud directly below the board, etc.), the Mortar may be a better choice for a 3-slot GPU or if you need extra PCIe add-in cards. Can't say much without knowing what your case is, or which additional NIC/storage/wifi/sound cards you need to fit alongside the GPU.

umanpixel

I'm not sure what you mean. The Asus' x16 slot is just one position lower than the Mortar. Neither board will allow you to fit a longer/wider/larger GPU than you would be able to on any other board.

The only consideration is that if your case doesn't have a lot of space below the board (e.g. case has strictly 4 PCIe slots, has a power supply shroud directly below the board, etc.), the Mortar may be a better choice for a 3-slot GPU or if you need extra PCIe add-in cards. Can't say much without knowing what your case is, or which additional NIC/storage/wifi/sound cards you need to fit alongside the GPU.

I'm not planing on fitting any of those under the GPU.
I'm just worried about it being cool (enough air flow), as you mention.

The Thermaltake S100 TG is the case I was going for.

You think I may have air flow issues with that one?

Sorry, I have bad hardware knowledge.
Thanks again

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
I'm not planing on fitting any of those under the GPU.
I'm just worried about it being cool (enough air flow), as you mention.

The Thermaltake S100 TG is the case I was going for.

You think I may have air flow issues with that one?

Sorry, I have bad hardware knowledge.
Thanks again

Maybe, maybe not. I have mine in the Cerberus (link), so I don't have to deal with a pesky PSU shroud, and have direct 2 x 140mm airflow from below to my GPU regardless of its placement on the motherboard. If you have strong airflow coming in through the front (3x120mm or 2x140mm with good fans), and your PSU is face down as it should be so it isn't fighting your GPU for air, you might be fine with either board.

I haven't read any reviews on that case but the front panel design looks like case airflow could be a potential concern regardless of what board you choose or where you put the GPU. You'd have to look into case reviews further. Regardless, the GPU position honestly has a bigger impact on your ability to plug in connectors at the bottom of the board and add other x1 cards, than your temperatures.

I'm looking at the Gigabyte triple-fan Windforce 5700XT; it looks like slightly more than 2-slot. You could play it on the safe side with the Mortar; just keep in mind that you will have to remove the graphics card if you ever need to reset CMOS; the 2-pin header is buried under the graphics card.

Last edited:

umanpixel

Maybe, maybe not. I have mine in the Cerberus (link), so I don't have to deal with a pesky PSU shroud, and have direct 2 x 140mm airflow from below to my GPU regardless of its placement on the motherboard. If you have strong airflow coming in through the front (3x120mm or 2x140mm with good fans), and your PSU is face down as it should be so it isn't fighting your GPU for air, you might be fine with either board.

I haven't read any reviews on that case but the front panel design looks like case airflow could be a potential concern regardless of what board you choose or where you put the GPU. You'd have to look into case reviews further. Regardless, the GPU position honestly has a bigger impact on your ability to plug in connectors at the bottom of the board and add other x1 cards, than your temperatures.

I'm looking at the Gigabyte triple-fan Windforce 5700XT; it looks like slightly more than 2-slot. You could play it on the safe side with the Mortar; just keep in mind that you will have to remove the graphics card if you ever need to reset CMOS; the 2-pin header is buried under the graphics card.

Great stuff mate. Thanks for the input.
Just posted on the System builders advice forum, asking for feedback on this and the rest of my build.
Cheers