• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Updates Security Certificates of Motherboards, Graphics Cards, Mini PCs, Workstations and Servers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U28D590 28-inch 4K UHD
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts Pro Gold 750W
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
Software Windows 10 Pro
ASUS is releasing this advisory to provide information related to the new implementation of a tiered certificate structure that upgrades the security infrastructure of our expanding software ecosystem. The upgrade requires the current code-signing certificate of several ASUS products to be revoked. This revocation can cause some existing software utilities to trigger a Windows Security dialog box, and may prevent legitimate ASUS programs, such as Aura, AI Suite III, GPU Tweak II and others, from running normally when users attempt to execute the associated 'Setup.exe' or 'AsusSetup.exe' file.

The new versions of each ASUS software update, code-signed with a new digital certificate are now available for download at the link provided below. Once the latest version of the respective software is downloaded, the relevant program can be installed and run normally. Further information can be found in the Advisory FAQ section below. Users who have any inquiries or concerns are welcome to contact ASUS Customer Service. ASUS apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this update.

Updated Software List
Download links for each software program can be found here.

Advisory FAQ
What is a code-signing certificate?

Many companies, including ASUS, use electronic certificates to digitally 'sign' software code. These unique signatures provide users with an assurance that the code is legitimate, and has not been modified since being signed by the developer.

For more information, please follow the link below: https://www.digicert.com/blog/ms-smartscreen-application-reputation/
Is my current ASUS software safe to use?

Yes. All previously released ASUS software obtained from official sources, such as the official ASUS support website, ASUS Q-Installer, ASUS Armoury Crate, or an ASUS support CD, is safe and does not contain any malicious code. However, to account for the growth of our software ecosystem, we have implemented a new certificate infrastructure that requires a software update. Please use the links above to download the latest software for your system.

How does this affect me as a user?
You may encounter one of four different scenarios:
Scenario 1: ASUS software (such as Aura, AI Suite III, GPU Tweak II etc.)

Because the aforementioned software operates at the driver and service level, Windows may perform regular checks on the validity of the certificate when trying to run the program normally. Once the certificate has been revoked, Windows may prevent you from running the program altogether. In this case, you will need to download the newest code-signed version from the support page link listed above.

Scenario 2: Third-party drivers and software packed with ASUS products
The source code for third-party drivers and software are not produced by ASUS. As such, they will be code-signed by the third-party provider, and therefore are not affected by the revocation of the ASUS certificate. If you have existing drivers installed, you can continue to use them safely.
However, if you are trying to install third-party drivers or software from an ASUS support CD then you may still encounter a warning dialog. This is because the ASUS support CD provides a setup file called 'AsusSetup.exe' that may act as a shortcut to a 'Setup.exe' file created by a third-party provider. Because 'AsusSetup.exe' is code-signed by ASUS, you may encounter a warning message preventing you from proceeding with installation.
To proceed, either download the latest code-signed drivers from the support page link listed above or directly execute the third-party provider's 'Setup.exe' file - as this will bypass the ASUS installation program - 'AsusSetup.exe'.

Scenario 3: Running an ASUS support CD
Windows may prevent you from running an ASUS support CD normally. Please use the links provided in this advisory notice to download the latest versions of the appropriate program files for your ASUS product.

Scenario 4: Starting (booting) your PC
this question is dedicated for motherboards with Armoury Crate or Q-installer
After starting (booting) your PC for the first time, you may encounter a warning message preventing you from installing and running ASUS Armoury Crate. If this occurs you will need to update the BIOS to the latest version or disable this feature.
You can access the BIOS and disable this feature to prevent this message from continually popping up. To do this, first restart your PC, and then press the Delete (Del) or F2 key when prompted during the startup process. Now navigate to the 'Tools' tab and then select the 'ASUS Armoury Crate' category. Then choose the 'Disable the Download & Install ARMOURY CRATE app' option. To save these changes and restart the system, press the F10 key, then press Y when prompted. Alternatively, navigate to the 'Save and Exit' option within the BIOS menu, press the Enter key, then press Y to save changes and restart.

How do I uninstall previous versions of Aura, AI Suite III, and LiveDash?
Windows may prevent you from uninstalling the related software due to the revoked certificates. In order to uninstall these programs, you will first have to disable Microsoft's User Account Control (UAC):

• Type UAC in the search field of the Windows taskbar. (If the search field isn't visible, for Windows 10, right-click the Start button and choose Search; for Windows 7, left-click the Start button and choose Search)
  • Click 'Change User Account Control settings' in the search results.
  • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to 'Never notify' and then click 'OK'.
  • You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
  • Reboot your computer for the change to take effect.

After disabling UAC, you can proceed with uninstallation. Remember to reset UAC settings to the previous level after the uninstallation completes.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Overlord Mk MVII
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.85GHz
Motherboard Asus Prime X370-Pro
Cooling Corsair H110i
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
Video Card(s) Galax GeForce GTX 1080 EXOC-SNPR
Storage 1TB WD Black NVMe (2018), 500GB Crucial MX200, 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND
Display(s) Asus PG27AQ
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 low profile rapidfire
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/h01zlr
Ah yes, all the bloatware I never installed in the first place anyhow.
At least they fixed it, for now...

Ah yes, all the bloatware I never installed in the first place anyhow.
At least they fixed it, for now...
You know that ASUS also includes some payload already pre-integrated in the UEFI right?
Even after a clean install it gets installed (one exception is if you use Linux only).

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz Zxr
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Too complicated my head hurts! :p

System Name Overlord Mk MVII
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.85GHz
Motherboard Asus Prime X370-Pro
Cooling Corsair H110i
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
Video Card(s) Galax GeForce GTX 1080 EXOC-SNPR
Storage 1TB WD Black NVMe (2018), 500GB Crucial MX200, 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND
Display(s) Asus PG27AQ
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 low profile rapidfire
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/h01zlr
You know that ASUS also includes some payload already pre-integrated in the UEFI right?
Even after a clean install it gets installed (one exception is if you use Linux only).
Nope, not on my board, I don't have any Asus software running. Maybe I'm just lucky?

System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard Gigabyte x470 AORUS Ultra Gamin
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO
Memory 2x8GB Kinkston HyperX @2666 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1060 SC 6G
Storage Adata SX8200 256GB, Sandisk X400 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case Chieftec AL-01B-OP
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic 450W 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G503
Keyboard Zalman K500 modded (Gateron brown)
Software Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.IV
Processor Intel 8600k@4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling Corsair H105 {2x Corsair ML 120 Pro}
Memory Corsair Vengeance White LED DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 970Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD Blue 1TB SSD|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 27"
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1x Corsair ML120 Pro |3x ML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z {AVR:Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150}
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900/G502
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Can't certificates get overwritten by malicious code anyway? Updating it might stop it this time around unless there's some serious encryption going on

System Name Pioneer
Processor Intel i9 9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 @ 14-14-14-34-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
Storage HGST UltraStar 7K6000 3.5" HDD 2TB 7200 RPM (w/128MBs of Cache)
Display(s) LG 32GK850G-B 1440p 32" AMVA Panel G-Sync 144hz Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink to Schiit Modi Multibit to Asgard 2 Amp to AKG K7XX Ruby Red Massdrop Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 750W 80Plus Titanium
Mouse ROCCAT Kone EMP
Keyboard WASD CODE 104-Key w/ Cherry MX Green Keyswitches, Doubleshot Vortex PBT White Transluscent Keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Can't certificates get overwritten by malicious code anyway? Updating it might stop it this time around unless there's some serious encryption going on
Overwriting the certificates wouldn't do anything for malware writers. They'd need ASUS's private keys...

Which aparently, were already leaked once, or they would not be revoking their old cert.

Sudan, the lesser known, bigger home of the Nile.
System Name 192.168.1.1~192.16.1.100
Processor Intel Core i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus B85M-G
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 20GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered)
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + lots of TBs of HDD storage.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 Primary + Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply Coolermaster 850V
Mouse Coolermaster MM530
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS
Software MS Win7 Ultimate X64 (Until it reaches EoL, anyway)
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Is my current ASUS software safe to use?
Yes. All previously released ASUS software obtained from official sources, such as the official ASUS support website, ASUS Q-Installer, ASUS Armoury Crate, or an ASUS support CD, is safe and does not contain any malicious code. However, to account for the growth of our software ecosystem, we have implemented a new certificate infrastructure that requires a software update.
I wonder if I'll ever read a marketing statement that isn't utter bs.
And heck, isn't this technically a lie? Supply chain attack means the official repos ARE the the source of malicious code! And if you were responcible enough to plug the hole (which is more that can be said than many other hardware vendors), why lie about the patch? :shadedshu:

System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard Gigabyte x470 AORUS Ultra Gamin
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO
Memory 2x8GB Kinkston HyperX @2666 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1060 SC 6G
Storage Adata SX8200 256GB, Sandisk X400 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case Chieftec AL-01B-OP
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic 450W 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G503
Keyboard Zalman K500 modded (Gateron brown)
Software Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
True to the first part, but who installs Windows in BIOS/Legacy/CSM mode these days... Faster boot FTW ! ;-)
Legacy mode is good for avoiding software/hardware issues, like the old-good bug with windows 10 getting stuck in S mode on 1809 or older versions on clean install (I believe MS fixed it last year), or GPU driver issues on some older non-UEFI cards.

Processor i7 8700k 4.7Ghz @ 1.26v
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X @ 2100/5500
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Eizo Foris FG2421
Case Fractal Design Define C TG
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Mouse Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum
Keyboard Sharkoon MK80 (Brown)
Software W10 x64