• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus VII Ranger Z97 Q55 Error

System Name Elite
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASus MAXIMUS VII RANGER
Cooling Fractal Design S36
Memory Corsair Vengeance 1600 12GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 980TI OC
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD, Seagate 2TB, WD 1TB, Samsung M2 256GB SSD
Display(s) 32 inch QHD Monitor
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Stock
Power Supply Corsair 750W RM Gold
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores ---
Hi guys

Yesterday i changed the thermal compound on my CPU as it wasn't that great. I think i was using MX-2. Anyway, after i changed the thermal compound, i got a 55 error on my motherboard, and the computer only boots if memory DIMM slots B1 and B2 are populated. If i use the first two A1 and A2 slots, the computer does not boot. I am a bit confused to why this has occurred.

I've read that it could be a CPU error, but the CPU seems to be fine as I'm able to play games with crashing or errors, and i managed to use my computer the entire day yesterday without it crashing. Therefore, i am a bit stuck to why suddenly after doing something so simple, to have caused this problem.

Before I had done this, i had the memory in A2 and B2 as the motherboard specifies. Now only B1 and B2 are working, so to speak.

Lastly, sometimes if i do use the A1 and A2 slots with different memory, it powers on, then powers off in cycles until i pull the plug. Then other times it just goes to the Q55 error (memory specific error)

Has anyone with the Z97 boards from Asus had this problem before?

what damage would have caused this issue, if at all?

The cooler I am using is the Fractal Design S36 360mm AIO. I have remounted it to see if that fixes things, but it didn't.

-Apologies if not in the right forum-

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
Well Q55 says "Memory not installed" in the manual. Try only 1 stick of ram in first the A1 then move it to A2 and try them all with 1 stick and see if the stick or slot is the problem. Usually when building a PC most manufacturers advise to use banks A1 and A2 but you just try it 1 by 1.