• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Xonar drivers are worse than Creative hands down...

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
This is interesting, because I have heard everyone raving about how good Xonar is and how bad Creative's offering is when compared to each other. But I think yours is an odd one out. Have you tried to contact the ASUS support?

Everyone was raving when the Xonar was still the "new kid" on the block. As their market share has increased, and more users are purchasing their cards, more and more problem are cropping up.

Sadly, I predicted this a couple of years ago during the peak of the Creative bashing, and when everyone was commiting to only purchasing ASUS cards in the future . . . I'm sure if need be I can probably dig up those ancient threads (although most users never believed me). :cool:

Anyhow, the biggest issues with audio drivers is how they "integrate" into the OS. Vista and OS7 are picky as almighty get-out, and don't play well with hardware (in general). Not to mention, the way Vis/OS7's audio kernel is, it adds a ton of latency and "passing the buck" between APIs . . . Creative have somewhat "cured" this problem with OpenAL, and better driver intergration with the API. ASUS, on the other hand, seem to want as little to do with OAL as possible (even though helping with development and implimenation/usage are 100% free), which is why (IMHO) they can't seem to "fix" their current slew of issues; why their drivers will work on Vista but not on OS7, or on OS7 but not on Vista . . .

We didn't have these problems with XP . . . the audio kernel was drastically different, and allowed software to utilize hardware at the driver level (instead of having to pass it through a few different APIs). XP's issues are typically related more-so to hardware "conflicts" (hardware competing for control of the PCIE/PCI BUS 90% of the time), whereas Vista/OS7 issues tend to be more communication "conflicts" (drivers/software/OS not communicating properly).

It's all a big mess that there's not much users can do about. You can keep your eyes open for "modded" drivers, but these are always hit or miss.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
the problem with Asus is they have probably forgotten that they have a soundcard dept. AFIK there have been only 3 driver updates since Windows 7 was in beta. their main priority is still motherboards, graphic cards & EeePc's i guess. & bitching, moaning & crying on their forums wont work cuz their user to user based -___- sigh. they sound great when the card works but its a bit long winded when you have problems with the card & need some advice. & who better to answer your questions then Asus's own staff who probably dont even know they have a forum dedicated to their soundcards too. funds are tight at the moment so I shall be sticking with this STX probably until the end of the year before i sit down & have a long rethink about going back to creative.

however - there are hundreds of sites that still recommend Xonars over Creative products so Asus must be doing something right....

That's because sites test the soundcards in Rightmark, in audio/video player and in 1 or 2 games. They show pretty charts and graphs and give us the verdict. It's simple.
It's like having a racing car. Sure it scores high on a track and lap times are quicker, but to live with such car on a casual road is something you don't want because of all the trade offs, bumps on the roads and that hars hard suspension and uncomfortable seats... It's the same here. It's all flying colors in tests, but when you have to live with such soundcard under realistic conditions, you can get very disappointed.

In fact i find it funny for ASUS not to boost software deveopment part considering like 99,99% of ASUS Xonar cards owners are former Creative users. It sucks when you think you'll escape one problem by changing the vendor just to find out they are no better either...

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
It sucks when you think you'll escape one problem by changing the vendor just to find out they are no better either...

Out of the frying pan & into the fire so to speak.

I really dont know - I do know that the Xonar sounds incredible though (at least my STX does) & its made from components 50x better then what creative use to build their cards. music & movies sound excellent but its hit n miss with the DS3D GX

there are a lot of people in the Asus soundcard forums asking for help but other users arent able to help which results in the new owner of a Xonar sending the card back to the shop.

god bless all the Audiophiles that hang out in the STX section & do genuinely try to help when you have issues - but if the problems not about swapping opamps or what sort of headphones or hi-fi equipment to use - they are totally useless!! I dont see how they can stand Asus giving them the cold shoulder when Asus repeatedly refuses to acknowledge that people actually have bought their soundcards & has no hand what so ever in moderating or supporting users in the forums. & its a real shame. so much effort but such little substance.

D

Deleted member 24505

I really have had no problem with my xonar dx,if i had i would have taken it out and gone back to onboard.If it came down to that i would possibly try another creative card as i am not that bothered i only took my x-fi out because of problems.The other thing that works fine on this xonar dx is my mic,i could never really get the mic to work on the x-fi satisfactorily.

This has to be the most bizzare issue i've ever had in my history of computers.
Yesterday i got Auzentech Forte and it BSOD'ed horribly with it just like with Xonar. So i was at square one again. So i decided to it from zero. Removed all chipset drivers (as far as i could do it), all display and all sound drivers. Cleaned with Driver Cleaner. I also swapped slots with gfx card and sound card. Installed drivers but skipped new Intel Rapid Storage driver (IRS). Tried few games, played them for long time, nothing happened. Cleaned and reinstalled everything and skipped Intel Rapid Storage again. It worked again. I also swapped SATA ports, DVD used to be on SATA0 and HDD on SATA1. So i changed it to HDD on SATA0 and DVD on SATA1. Now i'm not sure if it was the SATA ports or the IRS, but i'll try this today by installing IRS again. If it'll BSOD, it's IRS driver, if not, the fault was on SATA ports.

So now it turns out both Auzentech Forte and Xonar Essence STX are perfectly fine. Now i can't decide what to have :( I was perfectly happy with Xonar, but i'm again in love with the raw hardware power of the X-Fi and the quality of sound in games. On the other hand, music is kinda flat on Forte. With Xonar, games were so-so. Sound was clear as hell, but 3D sound was mediocre.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
the X-Fi and the quality of sound in games. On the other hand, music is kinda flat on Forte. With Xonar, games were so-so. Sound was clear as hell, but 3D sound was mediocre.

I think - it would be better to stick with the STX - purely for the fact that there is little support for EAX in current/upcoming games anymore & therefore shouldnt pose much of an issue to the Xonar with its failcake called DS3D.

if you think the sound could be better. maybe you could try swapping the opamps with something else - there are guides all over the net quoting the best opamps to use on the card.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
RejZoR said:
So now it turns out both Auzentech Forte and Xonar Essence STX are perfectly fine. Now i can't decide what to have :( I was perfectly happy with Xonar, but i'm again in love with the raw hardware power of the X-Fi and the quality of sound in games. On the other hand, music is kinda flat on Forte. With Xonar, games were so-so. Sound was clear as hell, but 3D sound was mediocre.
[/QUOTE]

do you want me to change the thread title?

Last edited:
System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Wait 3-4 weeks, if you can. As pointed out in some reviews the forte needs warm-up time, and mine definitely sounded better after that period.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
wouldnt mind an Auzentech card myself but unfortunately Auzentechs European distribution is exceedingly bad with many retailers/E-tailers unable to source stock.

Ebuyer use to sell them = they stopped but 'AUZENTECH' still comes up when you type in the name to search which means they must of had something in at one point.

Amazon.co.uk = only brings up 3-4 Auzentech items with 2 items out of 3 not available = out of stock.

SCAN = you'd expect them to stock them since they stock just about everything for PC there - 1 item in stock, X-Tension DIN expansion card - no other Auzentech products.

----

Yoyotech - the people i shop from most of the time not just because I buy a lot of hardware from there but the guys who work there are great, friendly & always willing to help. they had stock of Preludes, X-plosions & Fortes at some point but ive been staring at the 'out of stock' tag for way over a month.

Had a look at Novatech - nothing at all...

Ebay - picked up only 3 items. 1 in the UK, 1 in france & 1 in USA

Auzentech need to get into talks with more distributors & get more of their products into Europe.

People are quick to shout about how great the product is when i reality getting laid is easier then getting hold of an Auzentech card in Europe

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
my D2X works fine I love it more than all the creative cards iv owned. It all depends on situation i guess though.

jaydeee

any more update about it?
Technical support as they say are replaced support... LOL!

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ive been doing a little digging around some in the hope that I would be able to update Asus's 3D audio engine

Xonar cards use something called 'Xear3D DS3D EAX 2.0' - Xear3D was infact created by Cmedia & to my understanding Realtek codecs use the same engine on their non XP driver packs since Realtek primarily use CMedia chips on motherboards.

if you google 'Xear3D' Cmedia comes up as one of the hits but when you search Cmedias website for more info or downloads reguarding Xear3D they have nothing listed....

so somethings not quite right there.... Cmedia could have sold the rights to the Xear3D engine to Asus but as far as i know Realtek chips still use the Xear3D engine...

So it could be possible there 'IS' some big issues with the Xear3D engine that they dont want people to see & find out about or Cmedia arent being very honest with Asus about it. I dont know what it is - but everything just doesnt make sense.

epicfail

System Name GavinComp/// Laptop
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3,16//I7 920m
Motherboard ASUS P5Q PRO P45//
Cooling stock// looks like a bad ass f117
Memory 2x2gb gskill DDR2-1066// 8gb ddr3
Video Card(s) Palit 4870x2 2gb//5870m
Storage 500gb Hitachi Deskstar//2x 500gb harddrive
Display(s) 22 inch Samsung Vsyng t220/ 17.3
Case antec 900
Audio Device(s) x-fi titanium pro
Power Supply 750w PC power and cooling
Software Windows 7 ultimate x64
Dont no why people complain about creative ive been creative for 7 years and no problems....

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dont no why people complain about creative ive been creative for 7 years and no problems....

You are the exception to the rule. Creative 64-bit drivers were a major fail for almost all of their soundcards.

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
You are the exception to the rule. Creative 64-bit drivers were a major fail for almost all of their soundcards.

I'd say it's because the generally only people you see writing about drivers are the people that have problems with them.

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'd say it's because the generally only people you see writing about drivers are the people that have problems with them.

This could very well be true...but I have had 3 friends with Creative Audigys running under 64-bit and none of them could get the drivers working right. They all had really weird issues, and none of their issues were the same :wtf:.(I am sticking with my Razer Barracuda, it's old but still kicking right along :D)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Ive been doing a little digging around some in the hope that I would be able to update Asus's 3D audio engine

Xonar cards use something called 'Xear3D DS3D EAX 2.0' - Xear3D was infact created by Cmedia & to my understanding Realtek codecs use the same engine on their non XP driver packs since Realtek primarily use CMedia chips on motherboards.

if you google 'Xear3D' Cmedia comes up as one of the hits but when you search Cmedias website for more info or downloads reguarding Xear3D they have nothing listed....

so somethings not quite right there.... Cmedia could have sold the rights to the Xear3D engine to Asus but as far as i know Realtek chips still use the Xear3D engine...

So it could be possible there 'IS' some big issues with the Xear3D engine that they dont want people to see & find out about or Cmedia arent being very honest with Asus about it. I dont know what it is - but everything just doesnt make sense.
you install any cmedia drivers, and you get Xear3D. the EAX emulation still sucks, and many games wont even start with it enabled (fallout 3 for example)

Well i don't know anything anymore. It appears there is indeed a conflict with Xonar that can go as far as one reboot after removal. Until i cleaned all the junk by hand. Now i'm running Forte only again and it's working fine. Yesterday i reinserted Xonar just to compare sound quality of both and i got BSOD right after driver install. And another one on recovery boot right after it. Exact problems i had before. So i removed it and cleaned everything. I've also installed latest Intel Rapid Storage drivers and everything is (still) fine. I have absolutely no clue why all this was happening but i'd say something inside Xonar doesn't work well with HD5850 graphic card on ASUS Rampage II Gene and Vista x64. My assumption is GX mode injecting processes working along HD5850's HDMI passthrough. But it can be anything. To be honest, i don't have the nerves to deal with this anymore. Forte is in, Xonar is out. And that's the end of it. I just hope it won't crap itself again after 3 days, when i'll think everything is fine and finally fixed...

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
are you sure your running the lastest STX drivers? (it could be that it dont like your vista lol)

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
yeah just curious - cuz there have been 1 or 2 hacked custom driver packs that have surfaced on the net.

Ok, this is the final report. Few days with only Auzentech X-Fi Forte and not a single BSOD. Not with music, not with movies and not with games. It was either a compatibility issue with Xonar Essence STX drivers or the Xonar hardware itself with other components. So, the problem is now solved. I hope this will help a bit if anyone is experiencing similar problems with similar hardware.
Though i think that's quite unlikely...