• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Z270 Maximus IX Hero USB 3.0 Header Problem

Hello, I just got brand new Maximus IX hero Asus z270 , everything works fine, but, when i connected the front USB 3.0 header to motherboard from my Case it does not work, seems like it's disabled , the case is thermaltake v51, does this motherboard somehow disables the 3.0 Header pin? should i change the some settings in bios to make it work ? I installed every driver that there should be, updated everything
going in device manager i do get two of this ( see picture attached )
3.PNG

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Check the USB pins on the board, make sure none are bent.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
It does seem the OS "Sees" the controller but can't figure out what to do with it.

Doublecheck the board's USB settings in the BIOS and for now make sure all USB controllers are enabled.
See if that helps or not.

If not......
Next thing is I'm assuming you're running Win 10, I'd do a complete removal and reinstall of the board's drivers because something during the install process could have gotten scrambled so it's best to redo it. I've had that happen with the "Install All" option and things didn't go as planned, when I did it as an individual install of each item is when it worked BUT had to completely reverse the install if doing it full auto.

This is solved sometimes by a complete remove and reinstall of ALL board related drivers. You also have to remember to uninstall the drivers, restart the system after the uninstall is done but do the restart BEFORE you begin the reinstall of anything.

It's uninstall all, restart the system, make sure it's still working, do one more restart then start installing stuff.
I do an extra restart before the install process begins to give the OS time and chance to update the registry properly...... But that's just me.
I've ran into problems before with such and now I just do it - No biggie to do at all you know.

It does seem the OS "Sees" the controller but can't figure out what to do with it.

Doublecheck the board's USB settings in the BIOS and for now make sure all USB controllers are enabled.
See if that helps or not.

If not......
Next thing is I'm assuming you're running Win 10, I'd do a complete removal and reinstall of the board's drivers because something during the install process could have gotten scrambled so it's best to redo it. I've had that happen with the "Install All" option and things didn't go as planned, when I did it as an individual install of each item is when it worked BUT had to completely reverse the install if doing it full auto.

This is solved sometimes by a complete remove and reinstall of ALL board related drivers. You also have to remember to uninstall the drivers, restart the system after the uninstall is done but do the restart BEFORE you begin the reinstall of anything.

It's uninstall all, restart the system, make sure it's still working, do one more restart then start installing stuff.
I do an extra restart before the install process begins to give the OS time and chance to update the registry properly...... But that's just me.
I've ran into problems before with such and now I just do it - No biggie to do at all you know.
I did everything u said , still nothing , when i did those all, and didnt help i did windows clean install still does not work

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
i googled the issue, and a foudn a thread with a very similar issue on a similar board, where the OP blew out the plug on the board, and it worked afterward. try giving it a blast of air, see if it helps?

i googled the issue, and a foudn a thread with a very similar issue on a similar board, where the OP blew out the plug on the board, and it worked afterward. try giving it a blast of air, see if it helps?
that did not work either

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Sounds likely.

I have the same board myself and the HD Audio header on it seems wonky in the same basic way but I believe I know why.

This was a board I bought as "For parts or repair" from fleabay with some bent pins and one that was broken off, good thing is the board came with everything and apparently was someone's botched build that was never powered on - The board itself looked brandnew except for the pins in the socket.
All the little packages for accesories and such were still sealed, even the driver DVD was unopened and from the looks of it that's why I believe the original owner never got the chance to power it up. I got it, fixed it and it's working fine except for the HD Audio header itself.

I think the broken pin has something to do with that but the audio from the rear jacks is fine, luckily I have an extension for my headphones and I just plug up what I want to use to the extension cable, all else is working.

I'm saying all this because it's possible a pin could have gotten bent somehow during the install of the CPU, if all else fails you may want to just do a quick check and see if that isn't the case.

Sounds likely.

I have the same board myself and the HD Audio header on it seems wonky in the same basic way but I believe I know why.

This was a board I bought as "For parts or repair" from fleabay with some bent pins and one that was broken off, good thing is the board came with everything and apparently was someone's botched build that was never powered on - The board itself looked brandnew except for the pins in the socket.
All the little packages for accesories and such were still sealed, even the driver DVD was unopened and from the looks of it that's why I believe the original owner never got the chance to power it up. I got it, fixed it and it's working fine except for the HD Audio header itself.

I think the broken pin has something to do with that but the audio from the rear jacks is fine, luckily I have an extension for my headphones and I just plug up what I want to use to the extension cable, all else is working.

I'm saying all this because it's possible a pin could have gotten bent somehow during the install of the CPU, if all else fails you may want to just do a quick check and see if that isn't the case.
what CPU pin have to do with the USB 3.0 header?