• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asustor Nimbustor 4 (AS5304T) 4-bay NAS

The Nimbustor 4 NAS from Asustor promises high performance at a fair price. It can take up to four drives. With optional expansion boxes, you can even install up to 16 drives. One of its assets is the HDMI 2.0a port that can deliver 4K HDR content at up to 60 Hz refresh rates, making it an ideal media player.

Show full review

D

Deleted member 158293

Really not a fan of Asustor, but not being able to skip disk checking on a raid setup is a positive, not a negative :wtf:

Really not a fan of Asustor, but not being able to skip disk checking on a raid setup is a positive, not a negative :wtf:
On disks that you have repeatedly checked it's a negative :)

gamato

@crmaris Asustor's specification says 8GB of RAM is maximum and it is the same for other brands using the same CPU. However, I've seen some posts on the internets about successfully using more RAM with that CPU. It would be great if you could try and confirm it. Btw, there's a very similar but newer model Lockerstor 4 from Asustor. If you could get that one a try it would be great. Thanks anyway.

I don't have it anymore, unfortunately, to try this. Stay tuned for the Lockerstor 4 review, though :)

The Intel Celeron J4125 of the Lockerstor 4 according to Intel supports up to 8 GB RAM max.

And given the low RAM utilisation I don't see any reason for more than 8 GB in this NAS.

gamato

And given the low RAM utilisation I don't see any reason for more than 8 GB in this NAS.
If you install and start using a few more apps, RAM utilisation may increase substantially. It's been mentioned in a few reviews that the little QTS robot complained about insufficient RAM. Some apps from QNAP require minimum 4GB of RAM and a few such apps mean 8GB might not be enough. Also, NASes these days have support for containers and virtualisation. So there are plenty of reasons for more than 8GB of RAM, you see. Cheers.

I am aware of all these. Personally, I have fully loaded QNAP, Synology, and other NAS servers and didn't feel the need for over 8 GB of RAM, in the majority of cases, at least. If you need more RAM then clearly you need to jump onto the business class NAS servers.

Other reviews might judge over a week period of use, at most, while I try out each NAS server for at least a month (usually more) before I draw any conclusions. This is why I don't often post NAS reviews because I take my time with each NAS.