• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asuswrt-Merlin on converted TM-AC1900 : Problems, upgrade path to 384.6

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Those are the same command lines used from the original conversion instructions.
The point of which was to rewrite the mtdblock5 encryption key that the newer firmware has.

Those are the same command lines used from the original conversion instructions.
The point of which was to rewrite the mtdblock5 encryption key that the newer firmware has.

You are beyond my pay grade in this :)

So before I did those commands when I tried to update via the gui it would reboot and be at the same version I has as if nothing changed. Because it had the wrong key it aborted the firmware update? Just trying to understand a little of whats going on. Thanks.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
So before I did those commands when I tried to update via the gui it would reboot and be at the same version I has as if nothing changed. Because it had the wrong key it aborted the firmware update? Just trying to understand a little of whats going on. Thanks.

That is correct. Everyone had the same problem, including me. I'm just a novice.

If you believe your on CFE 1.0.2.5 the same command works...
To check if your on CFE 1.0.2.0 or CFE 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh
As you notice, doing this Code (found from years ago):
Putty - Telnet into Router.
I use Telnet for these commands. Enable Telnet in the Administrator tab of the router interface (Log in via sticker back of your router) & in Windows PC by: Search "Turn Windows Features On or Off". Find "Telnet Client" and put a check mark next to it (Enable it).

Code:
nvram get bl_version
It just says 1.0.2.0 not anything about AiMesh.
Notice it will say 1.0.2.5 of you are using CFE 1.0.2.5

RE: CFE 1.0.2.0 or CFE 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh- To check Version verification, Putty Telnet into Router.
Code:
strings /dev/mtd0 | grep odmpid
"If it returns "odmpid=RT-AC68U" you have installed the correct one (1.0.2.0 US AiMesh).
If is says "odmpid=ASUS", that's the non-AiMesh one."
Putty SSH Telnet on 68U.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
RAJOD1

This guide https://lazymocha.com/blog/2018/04/16/flash-t-mobile-cellspot-tm-ac1900-to-asus-rt-ac68u-p/
Has files you need to convert your CFE.
Step 1 has WinSCP
Step 3 Download THIS FILE has ASUS firmware FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx and mtd-write (and 1703 firmware you won't need to use)
Unzip this download to see the files.

You will also need ASUS Firmware 384.20308 CLICK HERE FOR IT ( it is the last safest ASUS Firmware before it started hunting for Cellspots)
Again, unzip it.

What you are going to do, is download WinSCP, the firmware 376.3626, mtd-write, and 384.20308.
You are going to:
- open Lazymocha's guide copy and paste it into notepad or word pad or screenshot it, whatever you wish.
- copy this post you are reading.
- open and install WinSCP
- copy and paste your SSID and password for your WiFi because you are going to be erasing your router settings during this small guide.
- get off the internet, turn off WiFi and unplug the router from Modem/ plug router 1-4 ports to PC via Ethernet cable.
- downgrade your firmware to the ASUS FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx ( So install it manually searching for the file on your PC...making sure it is unzipped first)
- after
reboot, reset NVRAM by holding WPS while powering on the Router -count to 20.. let go WPS. (Step 20 of Lazymocha's guide)

Now (after doing the above) the router is back to being an ASUS not Merlin (for now).

In Lazymocha's guide, the first parts refer to downloading files, and T-Mobile Cellspot conversion to RT-AC68U. You have already converted it so you don't need the 1703 firmware, you don't need to set IP to 192.168.29.1... ignore that stuff.

Normally,
The achievements for the entire Guide are as follows:
1. Install firmware 376.1703 to enable SSH because Cellspots hide that function. SKIP THIS
2. Replace CFE (taking out old, updating, installing new)
3. Install firmware 376.3626 to expand jffs (mtd4) to 64MB
4. Clean-up mtd5
*As a bonus there is an extra 2 mtd5 commands to run when on firmware 384.20308.
That is it! 4 achievements to accomplish, then you can install updated Firmware.

So YOU are going to start at achievement 2. You are on ASUS firmware 376.3626 at this point (doesn't matter it is out of order from the above achievement guide list)

So NOW you are going to start Lazymocha's Guide at Step 10!
By the way, log in should be something like admin/admin or admin/password. (if not, hold WPS - power on.. wait 20 seconds.. let go WPS).
Step 10: Go to Administration > System > Enable SSH > Yes > Apply
Step 11: Open Putty and WinSCP and connect them to 192.168.29.1 192.168.1.1 using a admin:admin or admin:password
Tip: In WinSCP select SCP as file protocol, in Putty SSH
Step 12: In putty type:
cat /dev/mtd0 > original_cfe.bin
Step 13
: In WinSCP, refresh the window on the right side and note that original_cfe.bin is present (do you see it in the list...)
Step 14: Copy original_cfe.bin to a local drive (Meaning, your desktop!)

So you just downgraded the Merlin firmware to 376.3626, old ASUS firmware. You installed WinSCP and it is running. You enabled SSH, you pulled your CFE out using putty and it is called original_cfe.bin .
Now you are going to reconnect to the internet and upload that copied origional_cfe.bin on your desktop to a website that will transfer it to the correct CFE... That website is https://cfeditor.pipeline.sh/ . Once you click this website, it has an up arrow... click that and navigate to your desktop to that original_cfe.bin - chose 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh. Click the DOWN arrow. This will give you a file named new_1.0.2.0_am.bin
Rename that file to:
new_cfe.bin
(make sure you highlight ALL the letters to rename it.. or you end up with ' new_cfe.bin.bin ' )

Now get off the internet again. Copy that new_cfe.bin and keep it with your backup of original_cfe.bin.
Moving forward--

We are just going to do as instructed.
Step 16: Upload new_cfe.bin & mtd-write & FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx to router through WinSCP (make sure in WinSCP you see 3 names next to original_cfe.bin, new_cfe.bin & mtd-write & FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx)

We upload to the router by 3 commands: Once again, log into the router with Putty via SSH on in the Router.
Step 17: In Putty type:
chmod u+x mtd-write
Step 18
: In Putty type:
./mtd-write new_cfe.bin boot
Step 19
: I know your already on 3626, but we are doing it again. In Putty type:
mtd-write2 FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx linux

Router reboots.
Step 20: Reset NVRAM.
Perform NVRAM Reset, wait for reboot <5 mins
a. Power off router
b. Wait 10 seconds
c. Press and hold WPS button
d. Power up the router and continue to hold WPS button for 20 seconds

Now you do your MTD5 commands ( You are still on ASUS firmware 376.3626 )
Go back into the router, SSH on.. putty in with SSH 192.168.1.1 (as photo shows)

Here are the commands:

• cat /dev/mtd5 > /jffs/mtd5_backup.bin
    mkdir /tmp/asus_jffs
    mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /tmp/asus_jffs
    rm -rf /tmp/asus_jffs/*
    sync && umount /tmp/asus_jffs
    rm -rf /jffs/.sys/RT-AC68U
    nvram unset fw_check && nvram commit && reboot
It will look like this in Putty:
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# cat /dev/mtd5 > /jffs/mtd5_backup.bin
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# mkdir /tmp/asus_jffs
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /tmp/asus_jffs
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# rm -rf /tmp/asus_jffs/*
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# sync && umount /tmp/asus_jffs
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# rm -rf /jffs/.sys/RT-AC68U
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram unset fw_check && nvram commit && reboot
The last 2 MTD5 commands:
In order to do the last 2 MTD5 commands you must be on Firmware 384.xxxxx or higher. 3.0.0.4.384.20308 (preferred because it is just before the change in firmware to hunt Cellspots) or the command will not be effective.

You now have to reboot the router, manually upgrade firmware to that unzipped download you did 3.0.0.4.384.20308.
Router reboots again, Do Step 20 again. (Very important)
Step 20
: Reset NVRAM.
a. Power off router
b. Wait 10 seconds

NOW turn on SSH in the router, Putty in again SSH.
Do 2 more commands. You are now on ASUS Firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20308!

Writing all FFs to the MTD5 (This will resize CFE it to normal)
Here are the commands:

• ln -s /sbin/rc mtd-erase
    ./mtd-erase -d asus
It will look like this *The "Erasing..." is given when you never did the 2 commands before... if you have you probably won't see them again? Don't be alarmed:
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# ln -s /sbin/rc mtd-erase
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# ./mtd-erase -d asus
Erasing 0x0 - 0x1ffff
Erasing 0x20000 - 0x3ffff
Erasing 0x40000 - 0x5ffff
Erasing 0x60000 - 0x7ffff
Erasing 0x80000 - 0x9ffff
Erasing 0xa0000 - 0xbffff
Erasing 0xc0000 - 0xdffff
Erasing 0xeffff - 0xfffff
Erasing 0x100000 - 0x11ffff
Erasing 0x120000 - 0x13ffff
"asus" successfully erased.
/tmp/home/root#
exit

Now you install Merlin manually offline (You MIGHT need a lower version? then latest version?.. I doubt it )
Router Reboots.

Step 20: Reset NVRAM. (Very important)
a. Power off router
b. Wait 10 seconds

Set up router with your SSID and password...settings..

Go online.

DONE.

This Guide is for you..

Follow it exactly.

This will put ASUS back in, to change your CFE to 'normal'...doing all 9 MTD5 commands, reinstalling Merlin.
Now it will be an RT-AC68U with Merlin on it.
NOW you can tinker with your WiFi issues.....

Last edited:
RAJOD1

Follow it exactly.

This will put ASUS back in, to change your CFE to 'normal'...doing all 9 MTD5 commands, reinstalling Merlin.
Now it will be an RT-AC68U with Merlin on it.
NOW you can tinker with your WiFi issues.....

Thanks very much for putting the time in for this guide.

I did much of that guide in the past and one issue I had was the only CFE that would work was 1.0.2.5 the others would error out. I had this in a post you did not see (had to delete it due to mac addresses being viable) The size of the other cfes were 1/2 of mine. So for what ever reason those simply would not work. Only the 1.02.5 would install without a error.

Currently I am on
CFE 1.0.2.9
RT-AC68P
Clocks at 800/666
Merlin RT-AC68U 384.10-2 (2019)

All the settings work well, the router is stable no issues. The issues the "some people" had of a cpu pegging at 100 percent I do not have, its very stable. The wifi works fine too just a little slower than a much newer comcast router but its not slow 135 Mbits is good enough.

If I do all the steps over again and get it to
CFE 1.0.2. US or Air/mesh + RT-AC68U (not P) + merlin 384.10-2

That the wifi will magically go from 135 Mbits/sec to 300Mbits/sec to match the speed of my comcast router? I'm not sure anything is broke with the set up I currently have.

Again I could not get it to take the 1.0.2.0 it errored on all but the 1.0.2.5 (I actually have 1.0.2.9 now)

commands  for cfe version.JPG

cfe screen.JPG

Thanks very much for putting the time in for this guide.

1) I did much of that guide in the past and one issue I had was.....

2) I had this in a post you did not see (had to delete it due to mac addresses being viable)

3) The size of the other cfes were 1/2 of mine.

4) Currently I am on
CFE 1.0.2.9
RT-AC68P
Clocks at 800/666
Merlin RT-AC68U 384.10-2 (2019)

5) All the settings work well, the router is stable no issues.

6) If I do all the steps over again and get it to
6a) CFE 1.0.2. * US or Air/mesh * + RT-AC68U (not P) + merlin 384.10-2
-That the wifi will magically go from 135 Mbits/sec to 300Mbits/sec to match the speed of my comcast router?

I'm not sure anything is broke with the set up I currently have.

Again I could not get it to take the 1.0.2.0 it errored * on all but the 1.0.2.5 (I actually have 1.0.2.9 now)
1) Because you probably did not do that guide correctly. You made an error during your attempt.
2) I did see it
3) This I discussed in the post you are replying to. Last 2 MTD5 commands (but you have to make that effort)
4) I know
5) But then you say, "The wifi works fine too just a little slower than ...... "
6) " CFE 1.0.2. US or Air/mesh " <----???
Sorry to be picky, but this typo style * you are doing could be the cause of all your issues during your initial steps of conversion...saying you got an error in your past CFE attempts.
Do you mean CFE 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh? All it takes is one mistake.. just one.

" wifi will magically go from " put it like this, people over on Slickdeals (where the start of gathered information on this router conversion process ended up being and discussed Y E A R S ago)... don't have this issue you have.
Because, when those people say, I got a problem.... help! The replies are exact.. so those people then DO the reply.
Problem solved.

If you haven't noticed above in the past few replies, 'slickdeals' was mentioned. The old school way of - as OP put it... "HEX editing", is discussed over on Slickdeals years ago. THIS VIDEO is the old way of doing it. NOW you have a website you simply upload it to.
RE: You mentioned you found an old copy 'original_cfe.bin'. Well, (as explained in that video ) you should HEX EDIT into that and search 'mac' and see if that .bin file is for that exact router... because technically, I have no idea how many routers you have (I don't need an answer to that)... it could be an old one from a 'guide' you followed in the past..
Like that video, it has a link to files you download that includes a 1.0.2.0 CFE that is blank mac's.
So, the CFE inside the router, is it including that routers mac's and code? THAT also could be an issue. Again, no clue what guide you followed.. but as far as CFE's not working, it is either a typo, a bad guide, or wrong CFE.

:)
The reason why you are even using an 'original_cfe.bin' is to get your 3 mac addresses and the secret code (the WPS) Step 12 of Lazymoch'a Guide.
So if you just pull your current one CFE out... hoping it has the correct mac's for that router, (because I have no idea WHAT you have done in the past). You mentioned some failed. There is an issue with you and CFE's.

You say, " If I do all the steps " the problem is, you don't do the steps. You don't then learn.. if you don't 'understand' then you are asking pages and pages of... what about this, what if that.

The video I linked is 1 hr. That guy fumbles around doing some small errors during the video and even starts over at some points in the 'achievement to convert' steps.
He does this to make it exactly understandable for you.
It is a fantastic video.. one of the best there is for people to learn what, how. It explains about Telnet and what he is doing each exact step.
You seem to think, oh I have done it before.. it didn't work. I have a P and that's final! Well, this was your attitude in the beginning, now you see that you had to manually set CPU speed to get your router to calm down.. a BAND-AID.

This is not the fix.
You don't even know for sure that you can underclock CFE 1.0.2.9 without ANY issues.. so you 'grew a brain' and could be causing yet another issue.
Do you see what I mean?? Years of accumulated Guide bits and pieces from different sources, and now YOU decide to add into that by 'growing a brain' ?
The CFE generator doesn't even list 1.0.2.9 so CFE 1.0.2.5 changes, from some update, to 1.0.2.9 , that is a new version.. not researched enough for you to be 'playing around with it'.

• Respectively speaking
    You stubbornness and attitude and 'growing a brain' is working against you.
    That is what I see. That is what I see Hawbgobblin sees, that is what the OP sees.

You are here on this thread for a reason, that reason for you not being able to use the latest Merlin on the router. MTD5 commands were done now. You can use the latest Merlin on the router.
So technically, your done on this thread.

Then you mention another issue WiFi speeds. This should be in a separate thread. That specific issue is not 'problems, upgrade path to 384.6"
This thread is not a technical thread about you doing your conversion incorrectly. This thread is about the 'problems, upgrade path to 384.6' which Post #5 and #13 mentioned.
You achieved that.

But you not learning, doing.. is causing 2-3 pages off topic in this thread.
Respectively speaking.

I have spent a lot of time explaining this to you... so don't think I'm not being helpful

NOTE: ( For you, I would clear cache, but other then that, this is only for information purposes for anyone else going to read this).
The beginning of the lazymocha's Guide discusses setting IP. This is for Tmo router being a different IP.
Also, people use Google Chrome (on a PC) and clear browsing data (cache). Some even have issues getting into that locked T-mobile firmware 3199 to even accept the downgrade to firmware 1709 by going into Google Chrome Incognito Mode.

The only other reason you could have an issue with CFE's is maybe you need to clear cache and maybe use Incognito Mode.
Also maybe set your IP to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.5 .. I do not see a need to do this. But, to cover my arse, I am mentioning it. But at your stage, I think you have other things to worry about like following exact directions to the T.

LOL ironically right now, I see you online in this forum... I hope you are not doing this above post instructions while ONLINE like it says to be OFFline.

Last edited:
1) Because you probably did not do that guide correctly. You made an error during your attempt.
2) I did see it
3) This I discussed in the post you are replying to. Last 2 MTD5 commands (but you have to make that effort)
4) I know
5) But then you say, "The wifi works fine too just a little slower than ...... "
6) " CFE 1.0.2. US or Air/mesh " <----???
Sorry to be picky, but this typo style * you are doing could be the cause of all your issues during your initial steps of conversion...saying you got an error in your past CFE attempts.
Do you mean CFE 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh? All it takes is one mistake.. just one.

" wifi will magically go from " put it like this, people over on Slickdeals (where the start of gathered information on this router conversion process ended up being and discussed Y E A R S ago)... don't have this issue you have.
Because, when those people say, I got a problem.... help! The replies are exact.. so those people then DO the reply.
Problem solved.

If you haven't noticed above in the past few replies, 'slickdeals' was mentioned. The old school way of - as OP put it... "HEX editing", is discussed over on Slickdeals years ago. THIS VIDEO is the old way of doing it. NOW you have a website you simply upload it to.
RE: You mentioned you found an old copy 'original_cfe.bin'. Well, (as explained in that video ) you should HEX EDIT into that and search 'mac' and see if that .bin file is for that exact router... because technically, I have no idea how many routers you have (I don't need an answer to that)... it could be an old one from a 'guide' you followed in the past..
Like that video, it has a link to files you download that includes a 1.0.2.0 CFE that is blank mac's.
So, the CFE inside the router, is it including that routers mac's and code? THAT also could be an issue. Again, no clue what guide you followed.. but as far as CFE's not working, it is either a typo, a bad guide, or wrong CFE.

:)
The reason why you are even using an 'original_cfe.bin' is to get your 3 mac addresses and the secret code (the WPS) Step 12 of Lazymoch'a Guide.
So if you just pull your current one CFE out... hoping it has the correct mac's for that router, (because I have no idea WHAT you have done in the past). You mentioned some failed. There is an issue with you and CFE's.

You say, " If I do all the steps " the problem is, you don't do the steps. You don't then learn.. if you don't 'understand' then you are asking pages and pages of... what about this, what if that.

The video I linked is 1 hr. That guy fumbles around doing some small errors during the video and even starts over at some points in the 'achievement to convert' steps.
He does this to make it exactly understandable for you.
It is a fantastic video.. one of the best there is for people to learn what, how. It explains about Telnet and what he is doing each exact step.
You seem to think, oh I have done it before.. it didn't work. I have a P and that's final! Well, this was your attitude in the beginning, now you see that you had to manually set CPU speed to get your router to calm down.. a BAND-AID.

This is not the fix.
You don't even know for sure that you can underclock CFE 1.0.2.9 without ANY issues.. so you 'grew a brain' and could be causing yet another issue.
Do you see what I mean?? Years of accumulated Guide bits and pieces from different sources, and now YOU decide to add into that by 'growing a brain' ?
The CFE generator doesn't even list 1.0.2.9 so CFE 1.0.2.5 changes, from some update, to 1.0.2.9 , that is a new version.. not researched enough for you to be 'playing around with it'.

• Respectively speaking
    You stubbornness and attitude and 'growing a brain' is working against you.
    That is what I see. That is what I see Hawbgobblin sees, that is what the OP sees.

You are here on this thread for a reason, that reason for you not being able to use the latest Merlin on the router. MTD5 commands were done now. You can use the latest Merlin on the router.
So technically, your done on this thread.

Then you mention another issue WiFi speeds. This should be in a separate thread. That specific issue is not 'problems, upgrade path to 384.6"
This thread is not a technical thread about you doing your conversion incorrectly. This thread is about the 'problems, upgrade path to 384.6' which Post #5 and #13 mentioned.
You achieved that.

But you not learning, doing.. is causing 2-3 pages off topic in this thread.
Respectively speaking.

I have spent a lot of time explaining this to you... so don't think I'm not being helpful

I find the language offensive "Growing a brain"
I know you want to help but saying things like that not the best way to rub people the right way, maybe you are meaning it in the most endearing way.
I and many others that have read this find it offensive. This may be why your previous post was deleted.

As to the:
"Do you mean CFE 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh? All it takes is one mistake.. just one."

I made a new CFE with all on that list using the routers original CFE. Used the same exact commands on all. Every one failed but the one I have circled in red.
Yes it is possible I made as mistake.
When I have some time I may do the guide you provide and test it again.

Right now I will stick with the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" My router is working fine for my uses. No crashes, 300+Mbit wired speed to internet. I don't use wifi on it, just test it via my phone. I have other routers so this is not my main. I even tested a older stock asus router and its wifi speed was no better. Sometimes advertised and real world wifi speeds are two different things.

I believe the guide I used was https://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/

-------------------
This is not the fix.
-------------------------------------
I have not seen any information on 1.0.2.9 causing any issues. I have not seen anywhere where down clocking from 1000 to 800 and the ram from 800 to 666 causes any issues. Overclocking usually causes issues.

Appreciate your efforts.

I find the language offensive "Growing a brain"
I know you want to help but saying things like that not the best way to rub people the right way, maybe you are meaning it in the most endearing way.
I and many others that have read this find it offensive. This may be why your previous post was deleted.
I did not mean to disturb your fragile sensibilities and I did say, "Respectively Speaking" right under this comment saying YOU are causing your own headache by going out of the realm of the Guides.
I most humbly apologize!

You are customizing the clock speed on a CFE that is not for that router.
Your issue is specific in need to do so because you are choosing to 'grow a brain' (Respectively speaking) in using the wrong CFE.

You then mention:
Thanks, I think I followed a similar guide getting it from Tmobile to 384.5. It took quite a few reboots updates, making CFE file using a webpage etc. Felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants as I'd never done it before.

The wifi still is not as good as my comcast router. I get 300Mbit/sec on comcast wifi 5Ghz but only 120ish on the asus 5Ghz. Good enough but not sure why its slower. I set the band to 20Mhz which helped a little.
--
I made a new CFE with all on that list using the routers original CFE.
When?
What guide?
Alex's Guide (Bayarea's)? The guy that goes to ME and others for answers over on Slickdeals... that Alex?!

I don't use wifi on it, just test it via my phone.
I'm sorry...?????
The wifi still is not as good as my comcast router. I get 300Mbit/sec on comcast wifi 5Ghz but only 120ish on the asus 5Ghz. Good enough but not sure why its slower. I set the band to 20Mhz which helped a little.
I don't use wifi on it, just test it via my phone.
..... WHAT?!!

I have not seen any information on 1.0.2.9 causing any issues. Overclocking usually causes issues.
This is because that CFE is new. In order to 'test' it, people will have a need to test it. No one usually underclocks the CFE.. they usually overclock a CFE. You chose to use the WRONG CFE then underclock it.
I'm telling you, your way of thinking is going against YOU.
The term * 'growing a brain' used over on Slickdeals is people that THINK IT IS OK to change things up... causing them more issues in doing so.

Now then,
When I have some time I may do the guide you provide and test it again.

Right now I will stick with the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" My router is working fine for my uses.

So we are done here. This issue is resolved.
If you need any more help, start a new thread please. Your topic is off topic of this thread. :)

*Respectively speaking

I did not mean to disturb your fragile sensibilities and I did say, "Respectively Speaking" right under this comment saying YOU are causing your own headache by going out of the realm of the Guides.
I most humbly apologize!

You are customizing the clock speed on a CFE that is not for that router.
Your issue is specific in need to do so because you are choosing to 'grow a brain' (Respectively speaking) in using the wrong CFE.

You then mention:

--

When?
What guide?
Alex's Guide (Bayarea's)? The guy that goes to ME and others for answers over on Slickdeals... that Alex?!

I'm sorry...?????

..... WHAT?!!

This is because that CFE is new. In order to 'test' it, people will have a need to test it. No one usually underclocks the CFE.. they usually overclock a CFE. You chose to use the WRONG CFE then underclock it.
I'm telling you, your way of thinking is going against YOU.
The term * 'growing a brain' used over on Slickdeals is people that THINK IT IS OK to change things up... causing them more issues in doing so.

Now then,

So we are done here. This issue is resolved.
If you need any more help, start a new thread please. Your topic is off topic of this thread. :)

*Respectively speaking

From what I read the 68U and 68P are almost the same router hardware wise. The difference in the cpu speeds and ram speed. If they binned chips that can only run reliably at 800Mhz and you run them at 1000Mhz then you may or may not have issues, overclocking the ram is not good idea either.

I have a 68U with a CFE that is for 68P. So that set my cpu and ram to OVER spec speeds. It ran at those speed but I would rather run my at the stock speed. 800/666 so I set it to that and it did seems to help in the interface response. A few others noticed the same thing and down clocked and had similar results. I thanked the OP for the commands that allowed by to update to the latest merlin. That was my only goal and was achieved.

Yes it is possible that a true 68U CFE might even be better, but what I have now is good enough for my needs, I don't use it for wifi I have another router for that.
Maybe I get 300Mbit maybe I don't. I don't care that much since I'm not using it for that and if I do 135Mbit is good enough, most people don't have 300Mbit internet so would never really know one way or another.

The topic took a turn from another fellow not me. I was happy all was working. Then someone says "YOU HAVE THE WRONG CFE" I did not say that, someone else did. I checked and found that maybe he is correct in that my router is not a true 68P but a U. And then it went from there.

No matter if on or off topic I think some people will find some of the information helpful even if you don't.

Last edited:
From what I read the 68U and 68P are almost the same router hardware wise. The difference in the cpu speeds and ram speed. If they binned chips that can only run reliably at 800Mhz and you run them at 1000Mhz then you may or may not have issues, overclocking the ram is not good idea either.

I have a 68U with a CFE that is for 68P. So that set my cpu and ram to OVER spec speeds. It ran at those speed but I would rather run my at the stock speed. 800/666 so I set it to that and it did seems to help in the interface response. A few others noticed the same thing and down clocked and had similar results. I thanked the OP for the commands that allowed by to update to the latest merlin. That was my only goal and was achieved.

Yes it is possible that a true 68U CFE might even be better, but what I have now is good enough for my needs, I don't use it for wifi I have another router for that.
Maybe I get 300Mbit maybe I don't. I don't care that much since I'm not using it for that and if I do 135Mbit is good enough, most people don't have 300Mbit internet so would never really know one way or another.

The topic took a turn from another fellow not me. I was happy all was working. Then someone says "YOU HAVE THE WRONG CFE" I did not say that, someone else did. I checked and found that maybe he is correct in that my router is not a true 68P but a U. And then it went from there.

No matter if on or off topic I think some people will find some of the information helpful even if you don't.

Other people WILL think this is interesting!
BUT, wrong thread for this problem.

As far as this thread is concerned... People trying to get past Merlin " Problems, upgrade path to 384.6"
You confirmed you did it.
Right now I will stick with the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" My router is working fine for my uses.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Other people WILL think this is interesting!
BUT, wrong thread for this problem.

As far as this thread is concerned... People trying to get past Merlin " Problems, upgrade path to 384.6"
You confirmed you did it.

Good luck.
Thanks!

Some Putty *commands to play with:

*You can check your CPU info by typing:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1595.80 (1600 devided by 2 = 800mhz)

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1599.07 (1600 devided by 2 = 800mhz)

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Northstar Prototype
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

*You can check your board version by typing:
nvram get boardrev
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get boardrev
0x1100

*You can check your hardware revision by typing:
nvram get HW_ver
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get HW_ver

*You can check your router's CPU and RAM speed by typing:
nvram get clkfreq

Mine is the default 800MHz CPU and 666MHz RAM as shown in this output:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get clkfreq

*You can check your current partition size using the command:
df -h
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# df -h

If you have a 32MB partition, jffs will also be around 32MB. If you have upgraded to 64MB, jffs will show something closer to 64MB.
Note in Lazymocha's Guide, Asus 376.3626 expands 32MB - 64MB. That is why that step is in his guide.

EXAMPLES!
Example of 32MB partition with T-mobile firmware:
admin@(none):/tmp/home/root# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 13.9M 13.9M 0 100% /
devtmpfs 124.8M 0 124.8M 0% /dev
tmpfs 124.9M 256.0K 124.6M 0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock6 30.8M 1.1M 29.7M 3% /jffs
/dev/mtdblock7 1.3M 388.0K 892.0K 30% /T-Mobile

Example with 64MB partition after updating to Asus firmware:
admin@(none):/tmp/home/root# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 37.0M 37.0M 0 100% /
devtmpfs 124.8M 0 124.8M 0% /dev
tmpfs 124.9M 1.3M 123.6M 1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 62.8M 1.7M 61.0M 3% /jffs

*You can check your CFE version by typing:
nvram get bl_version
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get bl_version

*You can check if you removed the MTD5 by typing:
strings /dev/mtd5
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# strings /dev/mtd5
(The result should be nothing)
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

*You can check if you installed the correct CFE by typing:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# strings /dev/mtd0 | grep odmpid
odmpid=RT-AC68U

If it returns "odmpid=RT-AC68U" odds are high you have installed the correct one (1.0.2.0 US AiMesh).
If is says "odmpid=ASUS", that's the non-AiMesh one."

*You can check your CPU temperature by typing:
cat /proc/dmu/temperature
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/dmu/temperature
CPU temperature : 72▒C

*You can check your RADIO temperature(s) by typing:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
55 (0x37)
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
62 (0x3e)

(The result of the radio temperature must be divided by two, then add 20 to the result)

FINAL RESULT
CPU temp: 72.0c
So radio 1: 55 devided by two= 27.5 + 20 = 47.5c (WiFi is off because I did these Putty commands without the Modem plugged in)
So radio 2: 62 devided by two= 31.0 + 20 + 51.0c (WiFi is off because I did these Putty commands without the Modem plugged in)

Something I read today in case no one knew how....

I thought I would share.

(Source: Slickdeals. Search for "cellspot" look for a date of around May 2019 )

" it can be enabled with the following command line inputs via ssh:

nvram set amas_force=1
nvram commit
reboot
"

It was then confirmed by another user commenting " It worked "

*You can check if you removed the MTD5 by typing:
strings /dev/mtd5
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# strings /dev/mtd5
(The result should be nothing)
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#
Following the same guides mentioned in this post (ie BayArea, Whirlpool, etc.) I successfully converted 2 of the T-Mobile units to AC68U's several months ago. My main router has been running rock solid and is currently on Merlin 384.12. The other router is a spare but just yesterday I updated it to 384.13 to start thinking about using AiMesh. When I did my original conversions, I followed the instructions at that time for removal/clearing of the MTD5 partition and confirmed it was disabled (using the instructions at that time). Out of curiosity, just today, after reading the quoted instructions above, I did the "strings /dev/mtd5" command above, but on both of my routers - the result is not "nothing". The result is several short lines of garbage looking text with the last line being "tmo-1CB72CCCB000.tgz". Similar output on the other router.

My main T-Mobile router has been running as a AC68U for over a year now, always accepting the current Merlin builds and never trying to revert back to T-Mobile, so I believe my MTD5 partition is disabled to prevent T-Mobile from messing things up for me.

Should the output of the above command really be "nothing"? On my routers that have already been converted and flashed with latest Merlin, can I do anything more to clear the MTD5 existing partition?

maxmalta

Lokester,
If you ‘d like to use T-Mobile Ac1900 with merlin 384.13 using AiMesh, you need to use bootloader 1.0.2 US Aimesh.

Follow:

I have used this tutorial and I converted 9 units T-Mobile Ac1900 and Im using Aimesh with no issues.

Correct, I had already performed the conversion including the bootloader 1.0.2 US Aimesh a while back on both of my routers. After asking my question above, I did a bit more checking and it seems maybe 2 more steps were added later (or maybe I just missed them). In either event, on my "spare" router which had been flashed with Merlin 384.13 (AiMesh), what I did was the following:

1. Flashed back to ASUS firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_20308
2. Cleared NVRAM during the reboot stage.
3. Enabled SSH, then logged into router via Putty.
4. Then performed these last 2 commands regarding the MTD5 partition:
ln -s /sbin/rc mtd-erase
./mtd-erase -d asus
After seeing several lines of "Erasing 0x........-0x..........." the last line was "asus" successfully erased."
5. Flashed to Merlin 384.13 again.
6. Cleared NVRAM again.
7. Logged in via Putty and issued command "strings /dev/mtd5" and SUCCESS, the output of the command is now NOTHING.

I give credit to the following link which is where I found the above information at:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12685621-t...-certified-pre-owned-39-99-plus-free-shipping

Good information on this TechPowerUp forum as well. Thanks to all of you.

DonDude

I checked my CFE version and it outputs as ASUS. Would I have to downgrade my firmware in order to update to 1.0.2.0 ai mesh? I'm currently running asus/merlin 384.13. My mtd5 output is empty. I converted the router in September 2017 and have been able to update since.

Last edited:

DonDude

I checked my CFE version and it outputs as ASUS. Would I have to downgrade my firmware in order to update to 1.0.2.0 ai mesh? I'm currently running asus/merlin 384.13. My mtd5 output is empty. I converted the router in September 2017 and have been able to update since.

I figured it out. Just had to upload my original cfe and download new cfe. Didn't have to change firmware (384.13). Now routers show AC68U and AIMesh is working.

osk666

I figured it out. Just had to upload my original cfe and download new cfe. Didn't have to change firmware (384.13). Now routers show AC68U and AIMesh is working.
How can you do that? I am also using the 1.0.20 aimesh cfe.
strings /dev/mtd5 return nothing,
strings /dev/mtd0 | grep odmpid return ac-68u.
But after upgrade to 384.13, the option to set the router as a aimesh node disappear.

I also have tried
nvram set amas_force=1
nvram commit
reboot

still cannot work.

DonDude

How can you do that? I am also using the 1.0.20 aimesh cfe.
strings /dev/mtd5 return nothing,
strings /dev/mtd0 | grep odmpid return ac-68u.
But after upgrade to 384.13, the option to set the router as a aimesh node disappear.

I also have tried
nvram set amas_force=1
nvram commit
reboot

still cannot work.

Did you do a full reset after installing firmware? After reset it will ask what mode, when router restarts.

osk666

Did you do a full reset after installing firmware? After reset it will ask what mode, when router restarts.
Thank you for answering my question.
Yes, for sure.
Pressing the wps button then turn on the power, right?
But still, the router cannot show the aimesh options.
My router seems to only show the aimesh options when in 384.20308 official firmware.
But in this case, I cannot use the jffs scripts.

pierre2113

Thanks for the info. I followed the instruction of post 39. my tm-ac1900 had CFE 1.0.2.1 (a mistake I made when I converted to rt-ac68u).
it now is 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh.
I had trouble only with these 2 commands, the symbolink to /sbin/rc executed fine, but the execution of mtd-erase ran forever with no output to show progress. in top it seemed to be using cpu about 50% I think, after 30 minutes I killed it.

ln -s /sbin/rc mtd-erase
./mtd-erase -d asus

Despite the mtd-erase not working I took a chance and continued to latest Asus firmware 1st then merlin.
just for safety I redid those 7 mtd5 commands between Asus Firmware upgrade and Merlin.
I have the aimesh feature showing up in administration-Operation Mode page.

However when I restored a backup of jffs I made before the post 39- steps, the aimesh option disappeared. I tar'ed up the files I needed and scp out of the router, then in Administration->System->Persistent JFFS2 partition-> I checked Yes to format and No to enable JFFS. after JFFS format and removal I rebooted the rooter. the Aimesh option appeared again. I recreated jffs without restoring from a backup, the Aimesh stayed. This was a surprise.

this command shows I have "odmpid=RT-AC68U"

I just finished putting the tmobile as an aimesh node, it worked the 2nd time when I put the tmobile router closer to the main WAN router about 5ft.
I followed the steps shown in a youtube video made by ASUS

we'll see how this will work out when I try to upgrade all the routers to a newer version in the future. the http://ip url to the aimesh node doesn't give me a gui with menu to upgrade firmware. and Merlin release notes for 384.13 say auto update is not supported. Automatic update of tmobile router with ASUS stock firmware is not an option for me (7 mtd5 command steps may always be needed). I may have to swap my real RT-AC68U as AP with the tmobile as AiMesh.

384.13 (31-July-2019)
- NEW: AiMesh Router and node support. Note that automatic live
update of Merlin-based nodes is not supported, you will have
to manually update any Merlin-based nodes when a new firmware
is available. Asus-based nodes (which is recommended) will be
able to make use of the automatic live update.

Last edited: