• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Atari Announces Atari VCS Pre-Sale Begins May 30th

Atari - One of the world's most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers - today announces that pre-sales of its new Atari VCS hardware platform will start May 30, 2018. The pre-sale is exclusive to Indiegogo and features the time-limited Atari VCS Collector's Edition featuring the special retro-inspired wood-front. In addition to the Collector's Edition, fans will have the option to pre-order the Atari VCS Onyx, a sleek black version. Early-bird Atari VCS packages will be offered, including the Onyx starting at $199 USD for a limited period of time. Other packages will include the Classic Joystick and Modern Controller. Initial Atari VCS shipments are planned for Spring 2019. Fans who have signed up for "insider" email alerts at AtariVCS.com before May 24, 2018 will be eligible for special purchase incentives during the pre-sale.

The VCS is a completely new Atari connected device, designed in California by Atari. The company has partnered with AMD who provides the Atari VCS custom processor with Radeon Graphics Technology. The Atari VCS platform will offer support for 4K resolution, HDR and 60FPS content, onboard and expandable storage options, dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0, as well as USB 3.0 support. A complete list of Atari VCS product specs will be posted with the pre-sale.

The updated Classic Joystick and new Modern Controller for the Atari VCS are being developed in partnership with leading video game peripherals maker Power A. Both items will be available in select packages and as standalone purchases.

Retro-inspired, but not a "retro-box," the Atari VCS will be a fully customizable entertainment experience. This means access to a vast array of games, media and streaming content options. As an homage to the past, Atari VCS covers the classics with the included Atari Vault of more than 100 classic games, including all-time arcade and home entertainment favorites like Asteroids , Centipede , Breakout , Missile Command , Gravitar and Yars' Revenge ; a growing list of games, especially a full range of popular modern titles, will be announced at later dates.

"We continue moving forward on the Atari VCS project and are excited to see this pre-sale kickoff and to share more updates with our fans as we look toward the first shipments," notes Michael Arzt, Atari COO of Connected Devices. "We are building outstanding teams and forging alliances that will make this product great and truly worthy of the Atari VCS name. Expert hardware partners are helping make this project possible and we couldn't be more pleased with their contributions."

Atari appreciates the community's intense curiosity about VCS games and content, hardware specifications, production timelines and other key information, and is confident that it is putting the right pieces in place for a successful product and launch.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name project silver poison
Processor Intel Xeon x5650
Motherboard Asus x58 sabertooth
Cooling Enermax Liqfusion 240mm
Memory 24gb ripjaws ddr3
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9 fury Nitro
Storage 256gb sata ssd & 1tb seagate white label
Display(s) Asus VP248QG
Case Lian li lancool one
Audio Device(s) Logitech z207 & audio techica m40x
Power Supply Enermax platimax df 1200w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon rgb
Keyboard Coolermaster Masterkeys pro l rgb
this looks like the only console I would actually buy

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I much as I want to buy one have they come out and shown what it actually is/what you are getting for 2 bucks? Before anyone dismisses my comment as crazy talk remember OUYA, and how that turned out.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard ASRock AB350 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig H7 via Noctua NF-F12
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT white 2x8GB, DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 390 G1 Gaming via Arctic Accelero Xtreme III
Storage Samsung 840 250GB (OS), Crucial MX300 750GB
Display(s) Samsung 40" LED 1080p TV
Case Fractal Design Define S - Front: 3x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500, Back: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair Vengeance 650M
Software Windows 10 Home
For nostalgic reasons, I would maybe consider buying it. My first console was the Atari VCS 2600 junior.:) But I fear it will suffer the same fate as the OUYA.

Unlike the some of the rest of you, I am optimistic.

I much as I want to buy one have they come out and shown what it actually is/what you are getting for 2 bucks? Before anyone dismisses my comment as crazy talk remember OUYA, and how that turned out.
I think that might be why they are remaining hush-hush. They don't want the negative-nelly's of the public ripping them apart before they even get going.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Atari... i mean Infogrames is on it's last legs.

They even needed Kickstarter to make this happen.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
This seems like what the Nvidia Shield TV should have been; a cheap console for playing casual (Steam) games.

I will not support any crowdfunding, so I'll wait for the retail version.

BTW; this is not the same Atari from the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
System Name Burning a hole through my wallet
Processor 3700X
Motherboard Maximus 8 Hero
Cooling Custom loop (EK Extreme 360 Rad, Supremacy evo w/AM4 bracket)
Memory 2x16 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080s hybrid
Storage 960 Evo, 660p, P1, BX500, 2XWD Black, Ironwolf Proo
Display(s) Predator 27" 4k 144hz HDR
Case NZXT h700i
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Drop ALT W/holypanda switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64, Ubuntu 20.04, Manjaro (latest)