1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Athlon 64 3700 San Diego Overclock ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ice91785, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ice91785 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, this is just a thread to see what fellow members have gotten from their 3700+s (939) for an Overclock, and the specs you have to achieve that clock, and how stable your rig is ;) THANKS!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. trog100

Thanks Received:
    AMD Athlon 64 3700 at 2900 MHz (11 x 264)

Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower CPU cooler

Abit AX8 VIA K8T890 motherboard

2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) generic cas-3 stuff set to cas 2.5 and 333 at 200fsb.. ends up just over 400 when at 2.8 gig..

Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO² modded to 16 pipelines and clocked 540 core 600 mem..

Arctic Cooling Rev.2 ATI 5 (X850 Series) VGA Silencer

Jeantech Arctic JN120F-600AP12V2 power supply

score in futuremark 2005.. 7000-ish..

sandra memory bench about 6000

sandra arithmetic dhrystone 13017 mips.. whetstone 5893 mflops..

######

cpu core voltage set to 1.5 at 2.9 gig.. runs at default voltages up to 2.8 gig thow i do have it set to 1.45..

cpu temps under load 52C-ish.. ilde mid 30s..

temps gpu under load 52C-ish.. idle mid 30s..

some decemt memory would help a smidge i just didnt think an overall system performance gain of about 2% was worth the extra £100..

the whole lot bombs out at 3 gig.. i dont think the cpu is the problem thow and havnt tried very hard to make it run at 3 gig.. my bios dosnt seem to let me drop the cpu multiplyer or to be more exact it just ignores it and hangs in at 11x when i arrive in windows..

overall i am happy with the whole bunch of bits and how they work together.. this is not a bare bones machine its loaded with all the usual day to day junk and runs nice and quiet..

useing the Abit guru windows clocking tool i can pretty much run it at whatever speed i like from 2.2 gig up to 2.9 gig.. and to be honest without running a benchmark of some kind its nearly impossible to tell the difference.. he he.. where gaming is concerned its pretty much all down to the grfx card..

trog

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ice91785 New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you serious???? How in the hell did you manage to get a 700mhz overclock?? haha, from what i read you are real lucky to achieve a 2.6ghz clock, much less 2.9ghz.....especially with ur voltage at only 1.5V. That is amazing, so much that I don't know if i can believe it

:confused: :confused: :confused:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. trog100

Thanks Received:
    dunno.. i looked long and hard at what cpu to buy.. money matters.. i looked at the 3500.. the 3800.. 3700.. and 4000.. i decided i would buy the lowest priced/clocked San Diego core chip..

the silly priced FX57s are the same core.. they dont sell many silly priced FX57s so i figured the 4000 and 3700 much lower priced cpus were just to get rid of a whole bunch of San Diego cores.. especially the 3700 which is an odd one out.. my thinking seems to have paid off.. i recon my 3700 is really a rebadged reclocked multiplyer locked FX57..

to be honest i would have been happy just to turn my 3700 into a 4000.. and yep i was amazed how it kept going up and up.. my figures are correct by the way..

the last time i saw an overclock like this was back in the thunderbird days.. a one gig athlon ran at 10 x 100.. the top of the line 1333 athlon ran 10 x133.. my 1 gig athlon chip became top of the line just by swopping a jumper on the motherboard.. a 33% overclock..

my last socket A 3000 barton was on the limit as it came out of the box.. nothing much there at all..

my saphire gto2 grfx card by the way is running a 50% performance increase as opposed to out of the box.. he he he.. its all about buying the right bits.. and being lucky..

the manufacturers fill market price/performance slots.. they need to manipulate the price market and keep everybody happy.. if they have a good yield of whatever chip.. they just rebadge reclock cripple to whatever the markt needs.. all the "too" fast chips get slowed down some way or other.. sometime u can speed em up again sometime u cant.. sometimes its all for real and they are what the box says they are..

the idea that these things are specially tested and selected and the faster ones come more expensive is what they would have u believe.. sometimes this is true.. sometimes it isnt.. sometimes the slower cheaper ones are exactly the same as the faster dearer ones.. they just get rebadged and reboxed to satisfy market demands and to maintain the high price of the premium flagship products..

trog

ps.. and sometimes overclocking isnt really overclocking its just running a product at the speed its capable of as opposed to the speed the markets and profits demand.. i aint entlrely sure of the ethics or legality of all this but i know its true.. he he

just as an amusing thought.. by running my £500 hardware at £1500 speeds.. am i robbing somebody.. or were they trying to rob me.. he he he..

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. ice91785 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well why didn't ya say so?? haha, if you knew it was a re-badged fx57 than what you said would have made perfect sense to me...haha, now i am just plain jealous :(
    So you paid for a 3700+ that was advertised as a 3700+ but it was a fx57 is what your sayin...just rebadged, what about the serial #, was that re-cut as well?
    Next, i am just curious, does ur comp read ur CPU as an FX or a 64? (through cpu-z or w/e you use).
    BTW, you metioned ur GTO2 with a 50% performance increase....well i got news for ya, my Connect3d GTO is at about that too ;) You just neglected to mention that you unlocked your card, so our performance is the result of a mod (not just pure "overclocking skill" ;) )

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. trog100

Thanks Received:
    years ago there might have been some "overclocking skill" and risk.. back then it was all done rather crudely by changing jumpers on a motherboard and the current dozen or so (more really) chip variations and price ranges didnt exist.. then it got easier and moved to doing it in the bios now it can all be done at the click of a button from within windows.. if there is any "skill" its about knowing what bits to buy in the first place.. we knew for definite which grfx card to buy bang for buck wise.. i probably just had a lucky guess with my cpu choice.. it does tend to prove my theory thow.. so does the rebadged crippled and reclocked x850xtpe grfx card being sold off as a "lesser" x800 gto card for half the price it would have cost in its true form..

i perhaps struck lucky with my via chipset motherbaord.. cos it isnt the one the herd buys.. diunno..

"tweaking" is a term i prefer to overclocking.. he he..

trog

10 Year Member at TPU