• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI 9500 > 9700 Pro

M

muttspam

Hi everyone

I'm new to this overclocking/softmodding thing. Go easy on me!

I've read the FAQ and it states that the 9500 can be softmodded to a 9700 NP. Well, I ordered a 9500 online, and when it arrived I was very happy to see the 'L'. I installed it, and it was recognized and installed as a 9700 Pro with XP stock drivers (!). I thought maybe it was a goof, so I uninstalled the stock drivers and installed the latest Omega drivers. It installed as a 9700 Pro again (!).

My question is, can a softmodded 9500 show up like that, or should I just do the happy dance and rejoice in my unbelieveable luck? Also, while I'm at it, does anyone want to throw some clock speeds at me for this card? Thanks in advance.

System:
Athlon XP 2500+ not overclocked
ATI 9700 (Pro?) 128MB not overclocked -- yet :D
512MB PC3200
MSI KT6 Delta-LSR
WinXP
3DMark2001SE - 13382

Last edited by a moderator:

zealot`grr

you seem to be a lucky son of a ***** ;)

my guess would be that ATI just sold you a 9700 PRO "downlabeld" as 9500 NP, I mean - why not. maybe they had to empty their warehouses for the X800 series...

M

muttspam

*Does the happy dance* Thanks Zealot. Actually I got this from a refurb dealer (I know, I really rolled the dice with this one). I'm thinking it either got labeled incorrectly as a 9500 at the distributor, or someone hardmodded/flashed it previously, though that still wouldn't explain the 'Pro' designation.

If I'd known overclocking was this easy, I would have tried it a long time ago.

pablofrogo

Download ATI-Tool to overclock it, run the Find max Core, Find max Mem functions.

Stock 9700 speeds are: ~276.75 core / ~270mem for all memory types.
Stock 9700 PRO speeds are ~325 core / ~310mem for all memory types

Check what kind of memory you have and post it here, if you have Samsung 2.6, you are one lucky errr.. 'muttspam'
To do this look at the memory chips and it will have a code on it, I'm not sure how Samsung coding works, so post the whole thing here and I'll check it out.

Slayerstaps

I think it's just an 9700 pro wich got labeld incorrectly..(i gues someone is very unhappy with his 9500NP labeld as a 9700 pro ;) )
But anyways your a damn lucky basterd...Have fun with your card now :D

M

muttspam

*Does the happy dance AND hip thrusts around the room*

ATI Tool reported the card as having 325/310 defaults. The memory says GC2A, which from past posts I read to mean Samsung 2.8. Ah well. Still, everything else matches the description of a 9700 Pro.

ATI Tool has been running for ~13 minutes, and so far has clocked up to 383.06 without any hitches. Will post final results later.

I'm gonna invest in an Arctic cooler and see how far I can push this thing.

Slayerstaps

Nice, Run 3dmark03 for a change and post what nice score you get...
If it's a real 9700 pro that score will be way better then a 9500np can get :D

sersalpha

The 9700Pro isn't far off of the 9800 pro in terms of raw performance - congratulations :D