• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI asks for a third PCIe slot

D_o_S

Processor AMD Opteron 144
Motherboard DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR Expert
Cooling Watercooled - Alphacool Nexxxos XP, BIX2, Eheim HPPS
Memory 2x 512MB OCZ PC 3200EL Platinum Rev.2 (TCCD)
Video Card(s) 2x Gainward GeForce 6800 Ultra (430/1200)
Storage 4x WD Raptor 740GD in RAID 0
Display(s) Eizo FlexScan L768
Case CM Stacker
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Power Supply Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF
THE WIERDEST BIT of news comes to us from no less than three mobo makers at Computex, and it concerns ATI.
The whispers are that ATI is now asking mobo makers to make their high-end boards with slots for three 16x GPUs. All three slots may not need to have a full 16 lanes routed to them, 4 or 8 may work out fine, but the slot physically must be 16x.

If you are going to go Crossfire, at least two would need to be 16x. I wonder what they want the third card for? µ

That's what The Inq says, I predict that the last 16x slot has something to do with physics, so that users could still run Crossfire and have a separate graphic card do physics.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

This might be tough to do though since with 2 PCI-E cards in SLI/Crossfire with a sound card is a tight sqeeze as it is. We are going to need a huge case to fit 3 cards w/ a soundcard

Processor Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock Z87E-ITX
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB Gskill 2133MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Storage 256GB Corsair M4, 240GB Samsung 840
Display(s) 27" 1440p Achevia Shimian
Case Fractal Node 304
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
markkleb said:
My Jetway GT4 has 3 Pci16 slots, Bring it on...lol

Thinking towards the future with that mobo? I always thought it was a little odd :laugh:

I immediately thought physics too, so I like this.

(has no intention of crossfire and another physical 16x slot):)

M

markkleb

Actually the origional idea was the center slot was for just 1 VC and if you wanted to go SLI you used the outer 2 (no jumpers,no setting anything, just plug n go)
but technically if you went SLI the center slot could be a Physics card, oooohhhhhhh.

This has to be the BEST $45 MOBO ever! LOL

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
bruins004 said:
We are going to need a huge case to fit 3 cards w/ a soundcard
I think it's time we come up with a new form factor. I'm thinking...UberATX? It has support for 14 PCI slots, will effectively double the height of a computer, is stable (and heavy) as a rock, and can hold all your gigantic cooling device thingies :laugh:. Of course, this is UberATX Alpha, we'll develop the beta as more people actually agree on the specifications lol.

M

markkleb

For my next build I think I will just build the comp inside my fridge. That way it can cool my sodas too.

sinner33

System Name Pencil Pusher (Because I built it to surf the net)
Processor Intel X4 Quadcore Kentsfield @3.0Ghz @1.325V
Motherboard Gigabyte X38-DQ6
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500LED/Arctic Cooling MX-2 Paste
Memory 2x 2GB OCZ Reaper HPC 5,5,5,18 @ DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) Sapphire 3870x2 @825/1900
Storage 500GB Hitachi
Display(s) LG 24" LCD
Case Silverstone Lascala LC-17
Audio Device(s) DENON AVR-2808 RECEIVER W/ KLIPSCH SYSTEM/ ASUS XONAR D2 SOUND CARD
Power Supply Seasonic M12 700 WATT PSU
Software Windows Vista Premium 64Bit
Benchmark Scores 20000 3dMark06
markkleb said:
For my next build I think I will just build the comp inside my fridge. That way it can cool my sodas too.

I like that idea :toast:

Also I would find lengthening that ATX factor board to be the way to go. Even now, you hardly get any PCI slots left unhindered to add in sound cards and other peripherals. The whole SLI and CrossFire thing already occupies so much space, especially the double slot cooling solutions.

M

markkleb

If they would get rid of the PCI slots and just put good sound on the mobo there is plenty of room.
When i was a kid and worked on cars I used to complain how stupid the engineers were to design things so hard to service. It seems like the same engineers are designing mobos.
Like the DFI LanPartys(EXCELENT mobos but the stupid chipsets are under the video card)

And one of my favorite mobos my Soltek 939 had fan headers at all 4 corners. Why dosent everyone do that?(simple but so dam handy)

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
There are limits to how mainboards can be designed due to various factors to do with trace length and so on. an nf4 sli chipset sadly also cant be moved much, this is down to limitations because of trace length etc.

ultimately mainboards dont have enough space, either add 3 - 4 inches to the board in height or ditch PCI.

alternitively graphics manufacturers could stop being stupid and put dual cores on one PCB. its been done many times in more recent years very successfully. (gigabyte 6600GT, 6800 (forget manufacturer) and asus 7800 i think is the other. thers also a dual gpu 7900 in the works, again i think asus are working on it.

these dual gpu cards run toe to toe with SLI, only being seperated literally by 2FPS or so, which largely can be argued is well within the margin of error.

jbizzler

Umm... I'm pretty sure the third slot will be for physics. The chipset supports 48 PCIe lanes, so why not make all three full x16? It's not like anyone EVER uses the 2x, 4x, or 8x (unless physically 16x)... EVER!
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=608109
Yeah, I'm gonna be getting this when Conroe comes out. But don't get crazy; that's just the reference board. The RD580 reference board was uglier. I hope ASUS makes the flagship RD600 have this layout

16x PCIe
PCI
15x PCIe
PCI
16x PCIe
PCI
PCI

But the latest boards show that ASUS doens't seem to like the top slot and they hate PCI slots!

A GPU for physics makes so much more sense economically. Instead of buying a card solely for physics, you have one that can aid in Crossfire in non-physics games and be used in physics games. Or when you upgrade your GPU, you can use your old one for physics! This will also help sell the lower-end X1Ks. All will be revealed this week!

Attachments

• rd600-4.jpg
    rd600-4.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 695

SkylinGTR26

I think if they are gonna have those 3 16x PCIe's they should take all those lame PCIe 1x's out.
No one uses them so whats the point, unless they make that 1x lane be used for a soundcard then im fine.

jbizzler

Ketxxx said:
alternitively graphics manufacturers could stop being stupid and put dual cores on one PCB. its been done many times in more recent years very successfully. (gigabyte 6600GT, 6800 (forget manufacturer) and asus 7800 i think is the other. thers also a dual gpu 7900 in the works, again i think asus are working on it.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7950.html
It's called the 7950GX2, and it's not just some vendor custom thing. It doesn't support SLI yet, but will soon.

pbflagge1320

3rd PCIe Slot

Let me see, that's 3 GPUs, 1 physics engine, 1 quad core, 2 gigabit lans, 4 gigs of RAM,.... and a partridge in a pair tree!!!!

Anybody need a first born child or a kidney???

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
If these 3 PCIe X16 slots are for CrossFire and the other X16 for physics, we would have a tight fit with a sound card if it's still the ATX from factor. What they (as in ASUS, ABIT, DFI, etc.) should really do is have a really good onboard sound. There's some motherboards with SoundBlaster Live onboard, now just think if it was SoundBlaster X-Fi onboard! That's what we need if we're gonna keep the same form factor.

bigboi86

System Name Just getting started....
Processor Athlon II Propus 620 @ 3.51ghz (quad core) L3 cache enabled
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 (great heatsink, 40c max load overclocked)
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR31600 4gb 2x2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 4850 by XFX
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB SATA
Display(s) Acer 21.5 inch viewable G215H 1920x1080p, AOC 22inch 1680x1050
Case Antec 300, stock for now
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Turtle Beach headphones / crappy logitech desktop speakers
Power Supply Corsair 650 watt PSU <3
Software Windows 7 x64
markkleb said:

It would not only kill the fridge after a while, but it would also kill your components from condensation. Trust me, lots of overclockers have thought of this already hehe.

I put my comp inside of a deep freezer for about an hour once. When I was done, and took my case out, there was condensation on the outside of it, and even some inside near the mobo, and it was a little scary to say the least.

But it was fun.

My GPU temp sensor went berserk from the coldness :D

jbizzler

standard midtowers have 7 expansion slots. That's plenty. Actually, what would be best, would have a PCI at the top and then nothing but PCIe x16s with space between for double-wide GPUs

PCI
PCIe x16
--
PCIe x16
--
PCIe X16
--

Look at the back of your computer. Picture an X-Fi card on top, with three R600s below it. Now open up you computer. Picture this all on a nice black ASUS PCB with a Core 2 Extreme X6800 covered with a Zalman CNP9500. Picture all 4 RAM DIMMs filled with top-of-the-line 1GB sticks. Now isn't that a pretty site? Very jammed and a heat monster, but looks cool!

I just thought of something... what about power for the third GPU?

DeadZombie

If you think your gonna fit 3 videocards in that small of a spot, your crazy.. the only way that will happen is if the cards have no cooling attached to them..

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
No pci slots, that would be a big change... remake all modems, wifi cards... ehh

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
jbizzler said:
It's called the 7950GX2, and it's not just some vendor custom thing. It doesn't support SLI yet, but will soon.

He's talking about 1 PCB. The 7950GX2 is two PCB's put together connected with a bridge. If you look at the ASUS 6800, they're two GPU's on one PCB.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
DeadZombie said:
If you think your gonna fit 3 videocards in that small of a spot, your crazy.. the only way that will happen is if the cards have no cooling attached to them..

That's a pretty good mobo I heard from markkleb. It's a Jetway GT4 SLI. The inner one is for single card X16 and the outer ones are for SLI X8 each.

jbizzler

DeadZombie said:

http://theinq.com/?article=32208

Looks like there won't be need to have a two-slot card be for physics. The X1600XT looks just fine for physics, as ATI says it's 2x faster than current PhysX processors. While there is no way to know becasue of different APIs and driver optimizations, I believe ATI. This pic appears to show enough room for 1 GPU between two double wide ones. That is a graphics card in there, right?

Anyway, since ATI and NVIDIA will be using HavokFX, and Ageia says the PhysX proc can use other APIs too, I think We'll see HavokFX become the physics standard, unless of course, MS makes a DirectPhysics as I've heard rumors of.

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
jbizzler said:

that thing is also ugly as hell :p the dual 7900 is rather sexy, as is the dual 7800 ;) whats happened to graphics manufacturers largely only using that ugly green pcb anyway? enthusuasts dont spend thousands on parts and god knows what else making a system look the don to have it destroyed with an ugly green pcb. :shadedshu