1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI driver optimizations

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by imperialreign, Nov 19, 2007.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone up for trying to compile an ATI driver optimization guide for modern games? I was thinking of something that shows comparision shots on newer games with the optimizations on and off, so that other gamers would be able to customize their settings a little better for either improved performance or improved image quality . . . mostly because there isn't much information as to what each optimization does, and how it changes between games. For example, Catalyst AI on some games will cut corners to render a screen quicker, which results in higher FPS - but on other games, it adds detail to the rendered image, which will lower FPS.

Any thoughts?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It probably wouldn't hurt to have something like this compiled for TPU, I haven't checked the TweakGuides version lately, usually he stays on top of his guides from what I've seen though.

But, it would also be worth noting that there should be different class cards that should participate in this, the x8xx, x1xxx, x2900s, x38xx...really it would be best to do on the same system, but I don't know anyone that has that wide of range of cards at their access.

Definately a good idea imperial, but it would take some work, and a few members' cooperation to make it successful. But at TPU, it's very do-able imo!

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, it would be defi best to do on the same system - but also, I don't know anyone that has every modern game that's been released :D

I think, though, at the very least - having all tests done with similar settings between users (i.e. 800x600 full details), and running the same Catalyst driver release for each game would be a good start.

Although, it's something that would at least require some general discussion from users willing to give it a go, before anyone jumps into it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's true, but I would have to say a higher resolution, as this is more modern times where 800x600 can be done by cheap laptops and e-machines in modern games imo. I would have to say 1280x1024 to stress the v-card more than the cpu.

But, we could even use game demos from recently released games as there are many demos (Crysis, CoD4, WIC, Timeshift, etc...), and Fraps. We have plenty of honest users, so I think something could be figured out with this.

I wouldn't mind helping, I have an x1950pro, x1950xtx, either of which I can give you results with using my current rig (system specs).

I also have an x850xt pe AGP (modded x850pro) that's on a P4 Prescott build...

P4 630 2mb L2, skt 775 3.0 @ 3.5
    1Gb (2x512) DDR400 Mosel, @ DDR 462, 2.9v
    Antec Smartpower 2.0 430Watt Modular PSU
    Abit AS8-V, w/v-Core Mod

I'll donate what I can once the format, games, etc have been finalized.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had only thought 800x600 for those running lower end systems that would like to help - but 1280x1024 is fine . . . besides, that resolution has kind of become industry standard for benchtesting, anyhow, and any changes to image quality should be easier to spot the higher the resolution goes. But I was thinking that as long as a screenshot clearly captures the differences between having an optimization enabled and disabled - that's kinda what I was looking for.

Screenshot image quality is a big factor, I think, too - but, if we were to keep screen images as high quality .bmp - that could take forever for pics to load up on some peoples i-net connections. I'm not really sure how I feel about high quality .jpg screenshots, either, as that introduces it's own taint on an image, due to compression, that changes from one image to the next.

10 Year Member at TPU