1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Powercolor X800 freezes

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Gil Abobeleira, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Gil Abobeleira New Member

Thanks Received:
    First of all, hi to everyone around here.

I'm posting this here to see if someone can help me (long story).

Last October, I bought a Powercolor X800 Pro card (upgrading from a nVidia 5600 which never gave me any problems, though it was just a slow card :eek: ).
    However, I had some random freezes when playing 3d games, or when running 3D Mark. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that, everytime my card reached 53/54.º Celsius, the image just freezed or completely vanished from my PC (VPU recover on or off, it didn't matter).
    First, I thought it was the PSU, bought a LC Super Silent V2 but had no luck. Returned the card, but the guys at the shop showed me later that the card had no problems reaching 60+ Degrees at their own computer.

After scrathing my head a lot, I finally found that the Video Ram Cacheable on the BIOS was the source (or so I thought) of the problem. After disabling it, voilà, no more freezes :respect: :respect:

However, in the last fortnight or so, I started having freezes when playing some games. I decided to run some programs to check what the hell was the problem, and I was shocked, the mother..... was freezing all over again, this time when reaching 52.ºCelsius :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    I've uninstalled (with driver cleaner) and installed newer/older drivers, changed back and forth the settings on the BIOS for the Video Ram Cacheable (and even Fast Writes, the AGP Bus Speed and the AGP Aperture size), but to no avail.

Am I missing something? Is the card fried (never tried any OC and never tried any stupid bios flashing move)? As far as I can tell, the stupid b...... is just telling my videocard to shut down when reaching that temperature, but hey, 52.ºC is way too low as dangerous temperature :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BTW, here are my PC specs:

AMD Athlon XP2800+
    Abit Nf7
    Powercolor X800 Pro (no enhancement, no OC, no nothing).
    LC Supersilent V2 PSU
    1 Gb Ram OEM

Can someone help me please? :respect: :respect:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. trog100

Thanks Received:
    its not the 52c factor.. thats just a temperature it has to reach when in 3d mode.. its also quite cool for a grfx card.. so the card is just crashing when in 3d mode.. forget the 52c its a red herring..

i would return the card again.. just say the bloody thing dosnt work..

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. computertechy

computertechy

Thanks Received:
    i agree powercolor isnt in my good list since my X800XL but all in all they are better than HIS and Connect3D (the one i have lol)

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. intelandgigabyte New Member

Thanks Received:
    im having the same prob i bought my gigabyte x800 xl 512 last week and now as soon as it hits a certain temp it freezes what is the deal should i return the card

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. killatia New Member

Thanks Received:
    install a better cooling system for the vidcard could help out.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. P5y New Member

Thanks Received:
    1gb ram OEM <-- thats the problem I think. And dont replace it with another generic brand. DO a good brand.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. giorgos th.

giorgos th.

Thanks Received:
    if it freezes at 90C try cooling it better.if it freezes at 50C you should return it i think.
    maybe its misfunctional.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. asapreta New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had an Powercolor GTO (256Mb/Bits and PCi-X) and it freezed a lot, like mentioned here, crashing all system. I managed to discover that something was related to the motherboard chipset heatsink of my P5WD2Premium.

10 Year Member at TPU