1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon 9600xt

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ethereal, Aug 19, 2004.

1. ethereal Guest

I just installed an ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb card and already I am having problems with it. I get a lot of VPU Recovery errors, sometimes the game will hang and then resume, sometimes it will crash to desktop and sometimes the monitor will go dark and all I can do is restart my system. Ive tried the drivers that came with the card, the latest catalyst drivers and even some omega 3.8 drivers and nothing seems to work, I've messed around with the aperture size as well as disabling fastwrite, changing from 8x to 4x, and disabling the vpu recovery.

The odd thing is I can play half life mods like natural-selection or counter-strike fine, but if I try something such as Warcraft 3 I get these problems.

Im running on Windows XP Home, with an A7N8X, 512 Dual Channel, and a Barton 2800 XP

Thanks in advance for any help offered

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    heat problem? same issues with catalyst 4.7?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ethereal Guest

yeah, I even downloaded the new 4.8's and used the system cleaner to remove all ATI files before I installed the new drivers.. tried it out and I got a VPU Error, Warcraft Paused, and then became playable for a few more minutes until the monitor went dark as if it were in standby. Tried changing the smartgart to 4x and same thing occured.. this is soo frustrating what can I do?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's our psu what kind of psu you got???
    If a vid card is short on power sudden standby's happen most of the time....

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Frozen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, sounds like a PSU problem....

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Nobru_rv New Member

Thanks Received:
    I fixed that error once with 9800se.
    Format C:
    ;-)))
    Only if PSU is NOT faulty of course ;-))

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. phil88 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i have the exact same problem, could someone help?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. warluck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi ,first post ,almost de same config of ethereal and same problem.A7N8XE-DELUXE ,BARTON 2600+CONNECT 3D 9600XT , PSU 350 , 2 X 256 PC3200 single channel ,try dual=same result . Maybe power supply but try a good 500 watt = crash ,Try geil dual 512 samething and that trouble is from the beginning with XP ,XPSP1 and worst SP2 shut down the pc soon the desktop came , only power stays and no keyboard nothing exept good old reset button .My Question when i see all replys ( Big thanks ) why everything work super fine with MILLENNIUM with same config ?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. mixa New Member

Thanks Received:
    These are heat problems.And the PSU has nothing to do with this.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. warluck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oki thanks ,44 max 46 degrees its normal ? small fan on video card nothing fancy but i use an old AT power supply to power my 2 fans .But like i said Millennium no trouble , maybe ME manage power better .Thank s again and sure i keep walking and searching too .I gonna try my old Gigabyte ga-7vtx with my 9600Xt too see if its not the video card the trouble . OKi works to do again .Hope my english it s good ? Not easy to find the word sometime lolll,
    warluck

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. warluck New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think your right , i clean everywhere , inside PSU too ,install Microsoft's .NET Framework 5.6 with control center Version 1.1 in VGA mode <no choice> message error <control center don,t work with this drivers bla bla bla(VGA MODE) it' s normal .<Reboot> oki for the first time since last october lolll ,control center was a little bit f..ked up but no crash yeah reinstall setup complete over . reboot and i don t know really why but temperature drop 10 degrees before 44 to 47 and know 33 flashing 34 back to 33 oki, idling but pass the dx9 test with all the drivers signed lolll.Hope i can play some games .BIG THANKS .I post later for more results GOODs or BADS .

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. warluck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oki ,i'll install and play Painkiller this morning no crash ,since yesterday everythings is perfect.More game to play .Now temp is 35 degrees after playing almost 2 hrs ,really good and normal .Like i said before 47 degrees at idling ??? Thanks again .Score of Aquamark 33,321 not bad .

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. mixa New Member

Thanks Received:
    You`re welcome.
    If the problem still presists , get your GPU frequency a little bit lower.
    Take it down form 500MHz to 495 and you can get a fully stable video card.
    But who knows.Try and try and try ... again and again

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. warluck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes ,thank you ,i already try and drop frequency of GPU and give 20 on memory and good thing that setup work good ( touch silicone ) .Aquamark3 give me 33,321 is good for 9600xt .Another thing ,i disabled fast write in the Bios and smartgart .That s a lot of try .Keep walking like you say .
    Thank again and i post later if it s good and stable ,

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. warluck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oki,found the problem oups you found it Mixa, my psu it ,s a 250 watts ,sorry .Model 350 of youngyear (old) found the site on the web site of AMD .After i read the specs i see the cause of my trouble .Try another 500 watts ( cheap one i presume ) before samething ,now just bought a new ISO 400-D 300 watts and everythings is perfect .Original set up no oc except the override of Smartgart ,Very cool .Thanks .

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. mixa New Member

Thanks Received:
    The "noname" or "starname" PSUs are very s0x so I'm not surprised.
    I'm glad that you solved the problem

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. warluck New Member

Thanks Received:
    First time since last october i can play ,I think my new (Heavy) psu gonna be oki .If that can help specs of psu ;
    Youngyear :Model PSIV-350-1 250 watts +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
    14A 18A 9A 0.5A 0.5A 1.5A
    very good one since 1999 and still work (Heavy) unfortunatly not enough power sure , if i can found this brand here i'll go for it again.

ISO :Model 400D 300 watts +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
    20A 30A 15A 0.5A 0.5A 2.0A
    Dual fan ,heavy not like 600watts heavier than kleenex, lolll .Even if it s not the best one ( i don t know yet 40.00$ Cad ) i can play ,that s it .Now i sure if i bought another video card with a connector on it ex:(9800 XT or 6600Gt ) i m gonna be border line .But i ll gonna try this psu for sure after maybe a real good Brand .I hope thas gonna help and my english is not to bad .Frenchman with small PSU .lolll Thank s 300 hundreds times and more .I ll go walk right away . Painkiller i m coming .

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  18. warluck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another thing for reference or test no mather , i played Painkiller, Far Cry and Nfsud2 with Millennium without problem with the old youngyear psu 250 watts . My opinion : XP manage power in different way asking more power ,maybe that s why games run better ans smoother .Hard to explain is'n it .If you got freeze or pc shut down alone try another reliable psu ,buy one or ask a friend who have the same setup don't hesitate . ;)

10 Year Member at TPU