1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon HD 6950 - FPS Problems

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by NOSDuco, Apr 3, 2012.

1. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay I just did and it didn't seem to do anything.

2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Okay then you may have a virus or some spyware. Thing is it could have also been some kind of glitch. It is just too hard to say really.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Or maybe an update to the game changed the ingame settings. 100fps at which settings? 30fps avg seems right for a stock 6950 at ultra.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I think that there is some kind of low setting that was used and it finally kicked it to high and now this is happening, Though the OP stated that all games are now slow. But 100FPS in BF3??? Seems a bit high for one card really.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I am getting this on ultra settings. With 12.3 drivers.
    I have seen as high as 80+ !!

Attached Files:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    I meant average fps. It differs from map to map as well.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I find it hard to believe that you were actually getting 100fps with a single 6950 @ 1080p so it was prolly a glitch as other's have suggested but since you claim to notice a decrease in FPS with other game's as well i would be inclined to think that maybe you have some type of malware/virus as other's have suggested, have you tried to run any anti virus/malware proggies?

I never go through that extensive driver removal process, i just remove through control panel and then run driver cleaner/crap cleaner, reboot and install new driver's. I've been lucky so far :eek:

Hope you get it sorted

8. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was playing on Medium when I used to get this FPS but now I can't play without it dropping down to 50 and lagging. And I can barely play Minecraft now o_O

9. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    See in task manager if something is using up your CPU

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is nothing. And I have 16 GB of RAM so processes taking up RAM should not effect anything.

11. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Amount of RAM doesn't matter if a malware is using up all your CPU resources leaving little room for your games thus the GPU getting starved.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I have no processes taking up any memory or CPU resources.

13. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just scanned my computer with multiple anti-virus/malware and no viruses, rats or any type of malware. So that must not be the issue.

14. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Back up your documents, and try a clean windows install. If that doesnt solve it, its hardware related.

15. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Could be just an utility that doesnt load properly anymore like Asus toos for overclocking. While trying to load for a veeery long time it eats up all cpu cycles. Examine the taskmanager and disable offending stuff in msconfig startup or services if you confident you r doing the right thing.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. DarthElvis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is your card going to 3d clocks properly? Maybe something in Catalyst (or not in Catalyst - atipdlxx.dll, I'm looking at you)fubared your clockspeeds. Are you using anything like Afterburner or ATT?

17. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Did you click the button that says "Show processes from all users"? Even if there's only one user, there's still a bunch of hidden processes that could be using up your resources.

Also, as someone else eluded to, your card may not be clocking all the way up.

I had a 6950 a while ago that would not go all the way to 3D clocks and would give me some horrible frame rates. It was probably the BIOS on the card, but flashing it voids warranties. I RMA'd it. The new one worked perfectly. Luckily I had other video cards I could use in the mean time.

Use GPU shark to see the available states that are on the BIOS of your card. Most 6950's have 3 power states. Then simply monitor the clocks to see if you're getting your 3D clocks. You can use MSI afterburner for this purpose as you can set it to display the clocks in game.

EDIT: Reload the 12.3 drivers. They're the best driver's I've used in awhile. I have noticed major FPS increases across the board. I'm seeing 140+ in BFBC2 and averaging 120+ in Dirt 3 using 2 6870's in crossfire. NOTE: That's at 1920x1080 with all of the visual settings maxed. It's also faster and I have yet to experience a crash with it. In stark contrast to the 12.1 driver I was using which wasn't all that great. Would get hard locks and so on. My friend with an Intel system was experiencing the same things.

18. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    I checked all the processes and the process that is taking up the most is just the idle process so that doesn't really matter. I tried logging with GPU-Z while gaming and the highest the core got was to 750 MHz. If there is a way to reflash the bios to fix it please tell me because I don't think I have a warrenty on my card.

19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    download MSIafterburner and start it up while gaming. Check your clocks to see if they are going into 3D mode. I had an issue before were it would say at 2d clocks and games would drop FPS FAST!

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do I know if they go into 3D mode?

21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I have a problem with my own non-refernce 6950 that has it only go to 500 MHz under 3D load. It sounds like you are having a similar problem. I am currently working with the card maker going through basic troubleshooting for this issue, and perhaps following the same steps will benefit you as well.

First, please do not use and third party tools to attempt clocking the card just yet.

IF you have the time, and an extra harddrive, I suggst you do a fresh OS install, and try installing using the Catalyst 11.12 driver. To monitor temperatures and clockspeed, you can use GPU-Z. At the very bottom of the monitor tab in GPU-Z is a check-box to have it update while in the backgroud, make sure this is checked, and load up 3DMark 11 or something and let it run.

When it exits, you can right-click the clock and temperature listings, and select the option to show the highest reading. If the clock does not scale past 750 MHz, your problem is like mine, and I suggest you contact the card maker to get some support on this. If it works, we can come to the conclusion that your problem is driver-related, and then deal with that. You've already eliminated temps, it seems, so let's look elsewhere for the problem.

The fresh OS install will help ensure it's not issues like a virus or other conflicting software. I think you must take this step now.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should I try using a custom BIOS Rom? And I have actually tried using another harddrive but nothing changed, I think the problem is BIOS related.

23. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    500mhz under 3d? wow that is an strange problem. and in 2d does it goes to 250?

Anyway I would suggest doing this if not tried: driver resets to default :) this solve a few problem for me in the past.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. NOSDuco New Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally have tried about every possible thing you can with Driver reinstalling and etc and it really hasn't done much for me.

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    NO, do not try another BIOS just yet.

Yes, it seems that my own card's tech support thinks that this is some weird BIOS issue. He actually thought that the card had the wrong BIOS on it, but he did confirm that the right one is on the card.

I just want to make sure htat you tested on a fresh OS, with nothing else installed other than the single app used to test clock scaling...this is quite important. It should make things like what ChristtheGreat above mentioned not an issue. If you have tested on fresh OS, and this did not fix it, then yes, flashing the BIOS might be the next step. Do you have a copy saved of your original BIOS?

Yeah, very strange indeed. I did notice a performance loss a fwe months ago, but i thought it was just due to a newer driver. I bought a third card, and when i used all three, performance was lees than two carda, even though the one card clocks quite low...this made me look deeper for the performance loss, and then I discovered this problem. THe card maker is jsut as baffled by this, and I was dealing with the guy that handles RMA testing for the OEM.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    10 Year Member at TPU