1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon X1950 XTX / 512MB on a Asus crosshair motherboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Uncle Vinnie, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Uncle Vinnie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an Asus Crosshair motherboard with the NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI.

I will be getting the opportunity of getting an, ATI Radeon X1950 XTX / 512MB crossfire ready for free.

My question now is, will it be compatible with my motherboard????

Thanks

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. rizzo

rizzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure. I dont know if you can run crossfire though. Maybe with hacked drivers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can run either ATI or Nvidia. Sometimes AtI cards run better on motherboards with Nvidia chipsets than nvidia cards do.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, in a weird way, its like Nvidia is the god of Video drivers....they work well for ATI.

-The Eagle

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    nvidia is poor with their drivers when it comes to working out buggs, on the other hand ati has learned in recent years that driver support is KEY to keeping gamers happy and thus we see good driver support for our newer cards :D

nvidia still has a few bad bugs from what i have been seeing, NAM (dont ever install it if you want your onboard nvidia nic to work properly) and the dual/quad core video driver perf issue come to mind(newer video drivers dont play well with multi cpu/multi core systems)

so yeah go for it, the only thing i can warrn you about is that asus bios support is.....well SLOW, i am currently using an asus m2n-sli delux, and well to be kind the bios SUCK, and the chipset heatpipe is inadiquit for overclocking dispite part of the reasion people would buy a 570 board being overclocking.

im gonna have to make a cooler for the chipset thats acctive if the extra sinks i stuck to the heatpipe block dont help enought.

sorry for the rant, the only extra advice i can give is DISSABLE THE PCI-E acceleration thingy in bios, x1900/1950 cards dont play nice with it, you will get alot of video resets in windows :(

10 Year Member at TPU