• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI RADEON X800GT problem

Demetris

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my card when playing FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004

My video card is a newly bought (3 weeks old) SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON X800GT, AGP, 256 RAM with a bios information of A26126.001. I have the ATI CATALYST version 5.12 running on default options. Directx version is 9.0 and sapphire trixx overclocking tool is running on standard settings (vpu clock – 472.50, mem clock – 492.75, fan speed is 67% and board temp is average 45 o C).

I have a screen resolution (desktop) of 1024x768 pixels, on a Philips 107E5, 17’’ standard monitor on 85 hz refresh rate.

My pc is an AMD ATHLON XP, 1,25 GHz, 1.24 GB of RAM (2x512) which runs on Windows Xp Professional with windows service pack version 2.

In the bios, my advanced chipset setup features are set as follows:

FSB Freq: 100mhz
Memory timings:
T(RAS) – 5
T(RCD) – 3
T(RP) -- 3
Cas latensy – 2.5
AGP aperture size 64mb
AGP freq – auto

My flight simulator runs on a 111bg hard disc, with 20 gbs free disc space and with the following setup, as far as display properties are concerned:

1024x768x32 without antialiasing. Trilinear filtering, and on general graphics settings set on medium to high. Frame rate is set on unlimited.

My pc is generally well-optimized as I frequently run apps like ad aware, tune up utilities, system cleaner and all. No other software or spyware is running or active when I play fs2004, checked that.

Problem is that when the scenery has a lot of details (like buildings) and clouds on the sky, frame rate drops significantly and to me – illogically. What’s happening? I am desperate here, I spent 200 euros on this thing (about 250 us dollars) and i expected it to run smoothly without frame rate drops and even on higher resolutions….am I expecting too much off my card or is something going wrong here indeed?

Thanks a lot, your help is greatly appreciated.

Demetris

Oh, forgot to mention that i tried the 2 overclocking profiles in the trixx software (performance and extreme) and nothing changed...

Jshrk

Processor AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3500+ @ 2.7GHz
Motherboard ASUSTeK A8N5X nForce4
Cooling Thermaltake Tide Water w/ Zalman Heatsinks + Flower CPU Cooler
Memory 1G Twinmoss Dual Channel 512mb DDR400
Video Card(s) ATI PowerColor x800GT Evo
Storage Samsung 80GB/120GB/120GB
Case Thermaltake Tsuami Blk/Window
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Thermaltake 500w PurePower
Software Win XP Pro SP2
It looks like your CPU cant keep up with your graphics card cause its so slow imo, someone correct me if im wrong... also where you say 'Frame rate is set on unlimited' i have never seen a game that limits the fps, my PowerColor x800GT Evo runs - CS:Source 1280*1024 High graphics 4xAA 8xAT smoothly with a fps around 60/70, so your card should be up to the job.

How much is you FPS varrying, and like average. FPS doesnt stay the same during gaming it always vaires according to how much processing is demanded to 'pump out' the scence even if you cant see the effect significantly, if u got around 30fps average in games you are proberbly gonna encounter preformance issues in heavy duty scences, 60fps and preformance should stay good all through game.

Download PCMark05 www.futuremark.com/products/pcmark05/and run some tests to see where the problem is, 1.25GHz is pretty slow tho, I reckon thats your prob ;) .

Demetris

Thanks! How about overclocking my CPU? What numbers on what values would you recommend?

Jshrk

Processor AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3500+ @ 2.7GHz
Motherboard ASUSTeK A8N5X nForce4
Cooling Thermaltake Tide Water w/ Zalman Heatsinks + Flower CPU Cooler
Memory 1G Twinmoss Dual Channel 512mb DDR400
Video Card(s) ATI PowerColor x800GT Evo
Storage Samsung 80GB/120GB/120GB
Case Thermaltake Tsuami Blk/Window
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Thermaltake 500w PurePower
Software Win XP Pro SP2
Well if thats the AMD Athlon XP 1400+ i think its a Tbird which dont overclock very well without getting very hot and therefore you would need good cooling for the cpu.

You would also need to check if you Motherboard supports OCing, go post here for help ocing your cpu if that what you want to do. http://forums.techpowerup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13